“Weekend break”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Hi all what can I say this hotel
Character it is a hold hotel but very nice and the locations beautiful. The stay was pleasant stay.

From a customer service point of view things can improve. From reception to the bar staff.

On the day of check in I was told if I arrive early I would be able to check in for the room and use the facilities until room was ready. I was not even offered for an early check in and was told room not ready you need to come back. So we went for a walk and we were hit with a £20 a night parking and that’s valet parking on arrival. So we parked on a car park to the left of the hotel as going out going back up. £15 for 3 days And you can leave the car park and come back in as many times as you want. So we did that.

We can back after a couple of hours 2pm carrying all our bags went to reception people arriving early were-checking in and heading to there rooms. I asked got told again room not ready by another member of staff. She checked me in gave me our room number 325 and we took a seat in the bar. We paid for an executive room but I was watching people arriving upgrading to what we were staying and heading to the room. So I asked again still room not ready. When I checked with a totally different member of staff a male staff I got told your room is ready gave me the keys. 1 min room not ready then next room was ready. I did not like the start.

We got to our room must say absolutely beautiful. The minute we walked in the window was from one end to the other full panoramic view of the lake. Room spacious clean and very warm and relaxing. I have to recommend room 325. We have booked back here again next year.

The bar has a relaxing feeling because it’s a old building its had character and history. Staff in the bar kept making a mistake when I ordered not listening to what I want I ordered a small wine I got a large wine I wanted to pay cash they put it on the room number then I was told you have to pay cash. I did not get that some sort of customer service skills.

Breakfast was excellent from cereal to cooked well delivered and a good choice. We were looked after and asked many times if we wanted anything else. Breakfast was so good we could skip lunch.

Over all our stay was excellent apart from the check in experience. I have traveled round the world and have stayed in many bigger hotels but I have not experienced this kind of check in.

Excellent gym and swimming pool really enjoyed the facilities.

I think service for the start has to be much better and every one should be treated equally. I am just thinking if I would have upgraded and paid more money than what I paid would I have been treated differently And got my room a lot early even though I paid for an executive room......

We have booked again for next year let’s see how that goes till then.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,037)

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Called in for light lunch and ordered a "Mrs Kirkhams Lancashire Cheese" sandwich. Most disappointing. Discoloured salad, basic sliced bread, grated cheese.
I duly registered my complaint on the hotel web site but as yet still await a response

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bjdrake2017
Reviewed 14 November 2017

1. Rooms are small but the view from the room is amazing.
2. The hotel is located close to all the shops and the lake, so outstanding location.
3. Breakfast was also good.

But the staff at the reception, especially, Anthony Duckworth, who was the manager then was extremely rude and unfriendly. While check in no1 mentioned to us about their strict check out time and late check out charges. We asked them to note down the phone number we were using but they said it was not required. And next day, the day we were checking out, we had packed all our luggage and went out for a walk after breakfast. At 12 noon, when we were already heading towards the hotel for checking out we recieved a call from our agent in India stating that he got a call from the hotel 5 mins back asking for checking out. We reached the hotel in 5 mins and cleared the room in another 5 mins since everything was packed. But the manager insisted us to pay a fine of 100 pounds for late check out. We politely requested the manager to do away with the charges because it was not completely our mistake. Firstly we were not well informed about the check out time as 11 am and no1 from the hotel tried to reach us on time as well. Also since the time they called the agent in India and we handed the room to them, it was a matter of 10 mins in total. The manager immediately instead of talking politely, tried to scare us by saying he is calling the police. Since even we were not wrong, I insisted him to do so. But when he saw we were willing to talk to the police he said the police would take 4-5 hours or so. He cheated us and since we had to travel further we decided not to waste any more time there. So we paid and left. He also claimed that it was their courtesy that they did not charge our cards without informing us, and that was a favour he did on us.

I have never ever come across such poor hospitality. the check out experience made our entire stay extremely disappointing. If this is the quality of staff in such a big hotel group. its really shameful. Although the entire hotel and every other thing is so amazing, but without good staff, the overall experience can never be memorable.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank NishaSurana
Reviewed 12 November 2017

We arrived on Tuesday 7th November greeted by lovely friendly female receptionist , also male receptionist on duty was asked kindly to see to other guests and he was so rude to her in front of us all we were really shocked!! not very professional for an establishment of this standard .We were given keys to room 326 which was very nice, panoramic views of the lake also very comfortable.house keeping needs checking up on as there was dust on lamps , windowsills, along legs on dressing table.bathroom a lovely standard but rain shower was very slow .dressing gowns , slipper, bottled water provided.nice tea tray with an arrange of teas, coffee ectra. Breakfast is served in room downstairs over looking lake service was a bit slow and got wrong orders on both mornings.Think £15 for breakfast a bit expensive. Hotel is a oldy worldy but needs a bit updating .Didnt use Spa area or drink in Hotel so can not comment .

Room Tip: We stayed in room 326 fantastic views over the lake .Room very comfortable
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dixhay
Reviewed 7 November 2017

the room was quite basic but for what we pay'd very good,staff could'nt be more helpful,we literally only had to go next door for a drink an good entertainment (if you like a good laugh watching karaoke) some good singers and some not but good fun.

Room Tip: the budget rooms are quite pleasant,but the luxury rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We mini mooned here after our wedding in August. We had our wedding reception at Macdonald Craxton Wood on Wirral which was poor and so were anxious about staying in another Macdonald hotel but as it was already booked decided to go.
We need not have worried. The Old England Hotel was everything a 4* hotel should be. On arrival we were welcomed & congratulated on our marriage. Check in was swift and efficient and our car parked by the concierge service. We were offered help with our bags but chose to take them ourselves in the lift. Our room was spacious and clean. It was a lakeside room with a wonderful view over Lake Windermere. My husband had rung ahead and reception had sorted a chilled bottle of prosecco for us.
Breakfast was delicious with a wide selection of continental choices that were constantly being restocked and traditional cooked items. We also chose to have dinner in the restaurant on our last night which was delicious and plentiful. Service was outstanding by the waiters, nothing seemed too much trouble.
We used the gym (quiet basic) pool and steam rooms and also booked for massages in the spa which were delivered well by the therapists. Only shame is there is no hot tub.
Overall I would highly recommend the Old England Hotel and as we won't be returning to Craxton Wood we are highly likely to return to the Lakes for our anniversary. Thank you to all the staff that made our stay so special.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lu R
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We had 4 nights at this hotel. We had booked a double double but ended up with a double bed and two bunk beds so not a great start. The hotel is ideally located and Bowness-on-Windermere is a great location as cafes, bars and restaurants all within walking distance. You also have the boat trips and good bus links. You are paying a premium for the location. Staff are very attentive, friendly and helpful. Cooked breakfast is made to order and is quality not quantity although you can stock up on fruit, cereals etc before and after. Beware the hotel car park, expensive and very tight parking. Better option is to pay to stay in the public car park where you can get 3 or 7 day parking for a fraction of the cost the hotel will charge. It’s a 5 minute walk. The hotel don’t tell you about this. Whilst we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back to Bowness-on-Windermere not sure we’d pay the price to stay here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank UVE2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
0.2 km away
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
0.4 km away
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.9 km away
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!