Hi all what can I say this hotel
Character it is a hold hotel but very nice and the locations beautiful. The stay was pleasant stay.
From a customer service point of view things can improve. From reception to the bar staff.
On the day of check in I was told if I arrive early I would be able to check in for the room and use the facilities until room was ready. I was not even offered for an early check in and was told room not ready you need to come back. So we went for a walk and we were hit with a £20 a night parking and that’s valet parking on arrival. So we parked on a car park to the left of the hotel as going out going back up. £15 for 3 days And you can leave the car park and come back in as many times as you want. So we did that.
We can back after a couple of hours 2pm carrying all our bags went to reception people arriving early were-checking in and heading to there rooms. I asked got told again room not ready by another member of staff. She checked me in gave me our room number 325 and we took a seat in the bar. We paid for an executive room but I was watching people arriving upgrading to what we were staying and heading to the room. So I asked again still room not ready. When I checked with a totally different member of staff a male staff I got told your room is ready gave me the keys. 1 min room not ready then next room was ready. I did not like the start.
We got to our room must say absolutely beautiful. The minute we walked in the window was from one end to the other full panoramic view of the lake. Room spacious clean and very warm and relaxing. I have to recommend room 325. We have booked back here again next year.
The bar has a relaxing feeling because it’s a old building its had character and history. Staff in the bar kept making a mistake when I ordered not listening to what I want I ordered a small wine I got a large wine I wanted to pay cash they put it on the room number then I was told you have to pay cash. I did not get that some sort of customer service skills.
Breakfast was excellent from cereal to cooked well delivered and a good choice. We were looked after and asked many times if we wanted anything else. Breakfast was so good we could skip lunch.
Over all our stay was excellent apart from the check in experience. I have traveled round the world and have stayed in many bigger hotels but I have not experienced this kind of check in.
Excellent gym and swimming pool really enjoyed the facilities.
I think service for the start has to be much better and every one should be treated equally. I am just thinking if I would have upgraded and paid more money than what I paid would I have been treated differently And got my room a lot early even though I paid for an executive room......
We have booked again for next year let’s see how that goes till then.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, UK