Eastbourne Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$157
US$153
Windermere Hydro Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$199
US$192
  • Pool
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$343
Stags Head(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Priceline
The Ryebeck(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Pool
All reviewsb bon arrivalother guestsfull englishparking permitquiet areagreat showerthe ground floorsuperior roomtea and coffeeenglish breakfastmin walkcomfortable bedstayed two nightslarge roomshort breakyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Just had a last minute overnight stay in the above guest house and would say it was a good experience. The owners were welcoming and the room was quite roomy with a good sized on suite (King room). The property is situated just of the main street but far enough back to be quiet, it had parking space just over the road. We had beakfast which was really good value as it was in the price, the was fresh fruit juice. cereal and a cooked breakfast,
We were lucky to get a good room, good food and good hosts for a last minute price of £64 for the night. There is plenty do see if the weather is good and we went on the boat ride on the lake which was very informative, the only disappointing point was when we visited the Amore restaurant which had a good atmostphere and staff but was expensive for mediocre food.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner were having a lovely time in bowness, our room in the guest house was nice and clean, bed was very comfortable.
However the experience at the guest house was ruined in the morning by the two women organising the breakfast. I am not sure if there was a language barrier (as they spoke with a foreign accent) or she (the older lady) thought she was better than us as we were the youngest guests.
We were given our receipt for our stay as we ate breakfast, on which it stated check out was 10:30, but it should have said 10:00. It got to 10:15 and the owner tried to enter our room as we were getting dressed, and started banging on the door telling us it was time to leave. She then took it upon herself to walk into our room right in front of us as we were leaving and check that we hadn't broke or stolen anything.
The male owner was polite and lovely and very helpful on the phone, unfortunately the ladies let it down this time!

• Stayed: May 2012
47  Thank Holly422
Martin M, Owner at Eastbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

My wife knocked on the door thinking that these guests had already left (no answer) - when she found the door locked she politely reminded then that it was time to check-out. The rest is not what happened and was probably written because of the immediate last review text (below) and the guests getting het-up about being hurried up.

Most guests appreciate that in a Guest House (or B&B for that matter) the owners are the staff and we have very little time to get the rooms turned round for the next guests. There are always some people who are unhappy with a 10am (or even 10.30am) check-out but this is actually very common in establishments such as ours in the area. Obviously if they had paid more for a Hotel they would be able to check-out later (because they can afford to pay staff to work longer hours).

A late check-out (not agreed in advance) in fact just shows inconsideration to other guests and to us.

I also take exception here to the "racist" nature of the comments about foreign language being spoken. We live in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual society and it is not acceptable to see such comments made let alone thought and I suspect that these attitudes will have coloured the other comments made here and in the previous review.

My wife was speaking to our Polish housekeeping staff out of sight of guests and in our private accommodation and these guests were hovering in the entrance to these quarters - not that my wife should feel she can't speak in a different language and always be worried about "looking over her shoulder".

Martin Morris
17/5/12

Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

This is a terrible guest house, the owner was unfriendly and rude to us. It displays a 4 star rating but can really only be a 3 at the most as the place is quite tatty. We were a bit late for the stupidly early checkout time of 10am and had the owner banging on our door telling us to get out which really upset my girlfriend and the terrible stay we had there ruined our trip to the area

• Stayed: April 2012
42  Thank MarkCashin
Martin M, Owner at Eastbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

This is the second time this review has appeared and my response is the same. These guests only wrote this review because we had finally to ask them to leave at 11.30am when the room was needed for other guests that day at 12 noon. I also find his personal comments about me untrue as I was not rude just insistent and during their stay I had been my usual friendly self (please see the many other reviews).
It is a sad world that customers such as these can persist in "negative" reviews when actually the "rudeness" and inconsideration for other guests was on their part.
This second review although toned down from the previous one posted last month is still totally unacceptable to me - this is only my second "managemnt response" and the first was to this customers first review which has now been withdrawn.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

The room was only used ad a bed for the night, and wad a little on the small side. However, it was cosy, clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was fantastic, with all the food and drink you would like.

Service from Martin and Marina was excellent. Both hosts very pleasant and friendly. Martin particularly went the extra mile, offering advice on where to go and see whilst there.

Overall, a great little guest house. I will be staying here again, and have recommended this guest house to my friends and family already.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank DavidBarber
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We went to Bowness for a couple of days and first we were greeted by an intercom, but it is a B&B not a hotel a novel way to be greeted but the guy Martin was friendly enough, advised that our key was in our room, the room was very spacious and was ensuite so we were pleased with that, the bed however was a small double bed with a creaky wooden frame so we kept bashing our legs on the frame everytime we went past it, also didnt sleep too well in it as it was not too firm and kept wacking my head and arm on the head board which was also wooden. The Tv was just basic free view as they were updating their Sky Whatever that meant! so when relaxing in afternoon before we would go out again there wasnt much to watch. In the morning for breakfast we went to breakfast room and was greeted with a woman who spoke to me quite abruptly and barked "number" at me I wasnt sure what she was meaning as i was still half asleep & I picked a number up off the sideboard and she said "No No your room number!!" oh 7 I said so she gave me the number 7 and we sat down there were no smiles at this point & I felt a bit foolish i was also told to wait a minute as I had started to speak about my order! but after the initial uncomfortable feeling that i was back at school the breakfast wasnt too bad and they asked if we wanted more tea and coffee and also more toast which was good. anyway went back up to room and have to say the shower was the highlight of my stay as it was power shower and so good didnt want to come out of it but unfortunately the towels were tiny even the bath size towel was more like hand size i would recommmend taking your own towels for coming out the shower. but overall the stay was fine and for the money it wasnt bad.

Room Tip: Double check the size of the bed i think the wording was little confusing I thought we were getting king size bed when in fact it was a double superior kingsize room. also take your own towels they arent very big and its quite nice to sit around in your towel for a little while after your shower!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple