All reviews car park high street centre of town lovely hotel cocktail bar sat nav noisy at night central location third floor hotel restaurant night porter early hours brend hotel beef evening meal brend group full english
Reviewed July 4, 2017

Although we cannot fault the staff in any way and the service in most parts, we found the rooms were very warm even though we asked for a second electric fan. We could not open the windows at night because of the noise outside due to the pubs and clubs closing, although this cannot be helped due to the hotels location. A couple of times we had to send our meals back because they were cold but this could be due to us being in a fairly large party but this should have been avoided. Also we found it odd that it was very difficult if not impossible to get a drink from the bar in the afternoon. Generally speaking we did enjoy ourselves and, as I've said, the staff were excellent.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2017

Dear N6481CKbillh,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed yourselves despite some negative points which we need to address. You have very fairly highlighted our location and that you were a effected by some external noise. I assure you that we do everything possible to reduce the impact external noise has on our guests. We work closely with our local authority to help manage this issue and have installed two layers of double glazing in external facing rooms, air conditioning has also been installed where possible and all rooms are equipped with fans.
We will continue to do everything we can to make to try and eliminate this matter. I will investigate with my team why you experienced a problem with getting a drink during the afternoon, we have a coffee house which serves both hot beverages and alcoholic and non-alcoholic between 9am -5pm and our cocktail bar which is open from 5pm until late so this is not something that should have caused you inconvenience.

I hope that you will see you again in the not so distant future, and I would like to thank you again for your custom and feedback.

Reviewed July 3, 2017

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the start of July 2017. The staff were lovely and friendly.
Unfortunately we were placed in a tiny double room (others in our party had huge rooms even though they were single occupancy), the bathroom was extremely outdated with a toilet that was not flushing properly. There were inadequate tea and coffee facilities in the room.
The restaurant and bar area had a very distinctive musty smell in them which made it an unpleasant place to sit.
Breakfasts on both days (which we had paid for in advance), were very unpleasant and on the 2nd morning, we didn't even get the tea/coffee and toast we ordered. We then had a 5 hour drive home so had to go into the town to try and find some breakfast and coffee.
This hotel does not in any way offer value for money, you would be better off staying in a Premier Inn. I would not recommend staying here and I would not stay here again myself.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read you found the staff friendly and helpful. I am however sorry to read that you found other areas of the hotel disappointing. We do have an ongoing maintenance programme in place for our rooms throughout the hotel and i can only apologise that on this occasion you were not impressed with the room you were allocated. I am also sorry to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast each morning. We strive to offer a high level of service to all our guests and i am disappointed to read you were not satisfied with the service you received.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel to improve your opinion of our establishment.

Reviewed June 30, 2017

Very disappointing indeed. I booked a room with single beds and checked twice that I had been given a room with two beds. When I arrived it was a double bed. I was forced to stay in a double bed as there were no rooms available with singles. The shower did not work. The television did not work. There was no air con, so was given a fan which made a noise all night. The view from the room was appalling. We were moved the next day into a room which had two single beds. The fan did not work and both myself and my grandaughter felt ill with the heat. This room backed onto the kitchen which had a very noisy exctractor fan, so we had another bad night, although it went off at 22.30. The manager agreed it was unacceptable and gave us a jug of cold water. Wow. I had to ask for a free breakfast the next day. I then found out that the bill came to £340.....although the room was advertised at £280. I am disgusted. I would actively discourage people to avoid this hotel after my bad experience.

Room Tip: My tip would be to find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2017

Dear Petra S,

It is extremely disappointing to read your review, we understand your frustration however when we received your booking via the Expedia Travel company, it was for a standard double room at 85.00 per night, totaling 340.00.

When you brought it to our attention that you required a twin room, we explained that as we were full that evening we could not move your room, however we would make every effort to change your room the very next morning. This move took place and unfortunately we were not made aware of any other problems during the remainder of your stay.

It is regrettable that we were not made aware of the issues experienced with the television, shower, or fan. Had you made us aware that you were experiencing any problems whatsoever with any of our facilities or equipment then we would have made every possible effort to either help you use the equipment or provide a replacement if it were found to be faulty. We have not received any further complaints regarding the issues that you have raised in this review in relation to the television, shower, or fan for the room in which you stayed; nor has any of the aforementioned equipment needed to be repaired or replaced since your stay.

We are sorry that your experience with us failed to meet your expectations and that there were issues with the room type booked. We endeavor to provide outstanding customer service and it is disappointing that you felt that we did not deliver this. We hope that you will reconsider a future stay with us and give us the opportunity to repair the tarnished impression that you now hold of our establishment.

Reviewed June 25, 2017 via mobile

I arrived late but had a warm welcome. I had to travel on to Torrington the next day and the hotel sorted that for me.

The room was comfortable. However, we were in the middle of a heatwave and the room was hot. A quick call to the reception conjured up a fan which made all the difference.

A good nights sleep. A good hopping of point for my meeting the following day.

Stayed: June 2017
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 20, 2017

Positives- Dinner was enjoyable, waiting staff were friendly and helpful. Bar, lounge and dining area were air conditioned and comfortable.Porter also very pleasant and helpful
Negatives- receptionist not very informative, room was sweltering and some items in the hot breakfast buffet were dried out and stale

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that you found dinner enjoyable and the staff friendly and helpful. I shall pass these comments on to reception and i am sorry you found the staff uninformative. With regards to the breakfast buffet i can only apologise that on this occasion you were dissappointed, i can assure you that this is not what i would expect as we strive to offer our guests very high standards. I hope this will not deter you from returning to the hotel and hope to welcome you back soon.