All reviews car park high street centre of town lovely hotel cocktail bar sat nav noisy at night central location third floor hotel restaurant night porter early hours brend hotel beef evening meal brend group full english
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

A really nicely presented, compact but adequate, room which we had for 2 nights. The breakfast offered plenty of choice and was replenished regularly. All of the staff were attentive and helpful, particularly with regard to the parking for the hotel.
Barnstable is a lovely if somewhat run down town, but we enjoyed the local area along with the beautiful surrounding locations, Croyde, Clovey and Woolacombe.
A very enjoyable stay, thank you very much.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Food & Beverage Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Thank you, Kevin, It's so rewarding to hear our customers benefit from all of our hard work here at The Royal & Fortescue Hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the beautiful North Devon coastline whilst you stayed with us, it's certainly not to be missed! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We had a bit of time to kill before a date at the cinema with our five year old and noticed the Fortescue was busy serving Sunday lunches so thought we’d give it a try. We got the last table in the place and it’s easy to see why. It was the best carvery I’ve ever had. All homemade, piping hot, swift and amazing vegetable accompaniment choices, all for a reasonable £10.75. Service was consistently great too - all the staff were cheerful and polite and have obviously been well trained and are well-supervised. The place was immaculate and when I started clearing the floor where my nearly one year old had dropped the majority of his lunch, one of the waiting staff told me not to worry about clearing up, they would sort it. It’s great to feel that children are welcome and to see this local institution doing so well and long may it continue. ‘The Hotel Inspector’ could learn from you!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave such an amazing review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our Sunday Lunch offering, it certainly is one of the best in the area. The staff all take pride in what they do, so I am happy you benefitted from all of their hard work. I hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

Second stay here. With the partner this time and we both came away very happy and relaxed. The staff were amazing. Breakfast staff especially. Dinner in the restaurant was one of the best I've ever had. Room was as usual, very clean and spacious. Perfectly situated for a local visit. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LloydEmily
BrendHotels, Food & Beverage Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I will pass your kind comments onto the staff. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

Last minute decision to eat here for Sunday lunch and what a great choice. The carvery was exceptional and I would fully recommend eating here.

As a family with a young baby we’re we’re offered the opportunity to sit in a separate room which was I ideal for us and I am sure was better suited for the regular Sunday lunch customers.

Service was exceptional and nothing too much trouble.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
BrendHotels, Food & Beverage Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

Good Afternoon Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our Sunday lunch offering. I will pass your kind comments onto the team who I'm sure will be very excited to welcome you back very shortly!

Reviewed August 8, 2018

Stayed in the mews section with a dog. The hotel is central, appers to be newly renovated, super clean, great breakfast. The bed was beautifully firm, air conditioned and a portable fan even provided, nice touch in over 30's heat.

The downside was the room was pokey, bathroom was on a split level, shower was a dribble of water and the window backed on to a street with "the Tavern" bar, a late night attraction in the town so quiet noisy.

Overall I would return but probably not with the dog as room choice would limit us again, I did not see any other rooms but the would have to be better than ours

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Greg M
BrendHotels, Food & Beverage Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Greg. I'm glad to hear you benefitted from our recent refurbishment program of the ground floor, we are truly proud of the product we have to present to our guests. I will take your comments on board regarding the room and take action where necessary to rectify the issues where possible. I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and presenting you with a fantastic newly refurbished room, to which I'm sure will not disappoint.