“Wedding night spent here!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Paignton
london
“Wedding night spent here!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We had a nice room with a large flat screen tv,And a deep bath tub to relax in.Although we did not eat here we sleplt are hole family at this hotel.The rooms are in need of a revamp but it is a massive building and the rooms are well kept and clean.
They have a nice bar down stairs and nice restrant area.
Also in the evening whilst we were there staying over they had live singers which were very good indeed!!!

Overall i would say it is well worth the money and most rooms have a sea view.A stone trough away from paignton town centre and a fitness jym offered with jym,swim pool and jacuzzi!
This was august 2008!

Room Tip: Try getting a top floor sea view room for a even more satisfing stay!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Just had four nights at this great Hotel where the staff cannot do enough for you. The Hotel Manager is extremely helpful, Food just wonderful and accommodation very comfortable. This is a Hotel that I would happily reccommend to my friends

Room Tip: Sea Facing Rooms are of course the best
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pearlward
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

had a great stay with my 12 year old daughter, staff were lovely couldnt do enough for us the pool was fantastic as were the staff ,my daughter had a mini manicure done by Claire who was great , room was a club room over looking the sea front , a touch small but for one or two nights it was fine. Breakfast was lovely and plenty of it , hot food on hot plates , didnt eat in the restaurant in the evening so cant comment on that overall we really enjoyed our stay ,and will go back THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF FOR AN ENJOYABLE STAY
Julie and Katie

Room Tip: pay a little extra for club room for the lovely sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank julie0109
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed yourselves at the hotel, and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff (particularly Claire!). We look forward to welcoming you back to The Palace before too long.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

Just come back from a 5 night stay - we stayed in 2 sea facing club rooms. Sometimes I don't know what other reviewers expect! The food was consistently extremely good. Considering we paid £10 a night for 3 courses, Cheese and Biscuits and Coffee - great value. The food was tasty, not over cooked or over salted and the meat and fish was very nice indeed. The staff were warm and friendly. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Really snowy white sheets and clean windows! It isn't an ultra modern hotel so don't expect state of the art plumbing - but it doesn't need to be. It has character and charm. The swimming pool is very nice and changing facilities are clean. Entertainment wise - the visiting artistes aren't top notch (didn't expect them to be!) but if you just wanna chill out in a nice environment it's very pleasant. £70 a night (inc single supplement) is pricey as you could get a 4 star for that - but then you probably wouldn't get breakfast let alone a lovely evening meal included. I think the management and staff should be commended for a hotel that runs superbly well and staff that take pride in their work. I would definitely stay again. (Oh and Paignton sea front is glorious out of season!)

Room Tip: They only have two sets of connecting rooms so book early!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate186254
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Thank you very much for your comments - they are much appreciated. We do welcome feedback, and I am particularly pleased that you had such a positive experence at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel before too long.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Booked three rooms for my family over the summer - my wife and I (and one of my twin babies) in one, the mother in law (and the other twin baby in the other) and my sister in another. We were here to visit my Grandparents, who have lived in Paignton for years, for a short break. Our initial room was pretty rubbish, if truth be told - small, next to noisy lift, old bathroom - and after one night we moved into the one remaining room available, which was classed as an Exectuive Room with a nice view over Paignton Green. Had to fork out more but that was OK (I actually wanted to book all three rooms as Executives but none were available at the time of booking). Anyway, our new room was much improved and even had a little balcony (covered in seagull droppings). If you can, book this one (not much one can do about seagulls, after all), but it's larger and far more comfortable than the others I saw.

Breakfast was excellent - living abroad I do miss the full English! - and afternoon tea was very good too. Staff was a bit mixed but overall, no real complaints.

I would consider staying here again, but would probably opt to stay in Torquay or Brixham. Paignton seems a shadow of its former self. Shame. Have fond childhood memories of the place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank golfer78
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry that you were dissatisfed with your first room, which was a Standard Double. Being an older building the bedrooms do vary in terms of shape and size, though all are equipped, furnished and fitted out to at least a three star standard.
I am pleased that you had such a positive experience at breakfast. With regard to service standards, I would have expected more consistency than that experienced by you, and for this I apologize. Having said that, since your visit in June we have worked hard in this area, and this has resulted in a very positive assessment from Visit England last month.
Thank you again for apprising me of your views.
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

A recent visit booked originally for three nights stopped one night but decide late the second day to leave but had to payfor two nights to get out, and you need to get out, this hotel is all frontage in the way of advertising but does not live upto it's supposed pictures.
The food standard is poor,we asked for pork meal got none we ended up having fish, tasteless , I don't know what type of fish,neither will you be a able to tell, asked for sweet menu run out of what we wanted had a sponge type pudding with no taste with hot green custard, your guess what it was, it was supposed to be coffee and walnut, I could not taste either flavour, absolute rubbish meal part of table d'hote for 154 pounds a night we had best room in hotel, large tv very hard beds so if you want poor food and no sleep stop here,and by the way the hotel entertainment who thinks he is a singer should go and get a job because he was and never w. ill be a singer, it promises a lot this hotel but reality is it's not worth 70 pounds a night the staff try hard enough,well some of them do,some of them you can see don't like working there it seems,it's overall standard of performance of staff despite being pleasant and smiling is poor,lack of training shows, lack of management shows,in the end it cost about 400 pounds for the one night .I put it all down to a real bad stay and will learn from this hotel standard to be able to spot other standards in other hotels this is my worst ever experience and my measurement in future of what I do not want in a hotel ever again

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank danny1946
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Thank you for your review of the Palace Hotel.

I noted with interest, not to say immense disappointment, your comments in relation to your recent stay. From other reviews on this site it should be readily apparent that your experience bears no relation whatever to what we strive to achieve as an hotel. The room occupied is one of several Executive rooms, which all command the same tariff. The mattresses in all our bedrooms are of a high quality and are selected carefully to offer "medium" support, as opposed to "firm" or "soft". As far as the quality of our food is concerned, naturally I am concerned that you did not enjoy dinner but I have to take issue with your disparaging comments, not least because at no time did you make any attempt to make your dissatisfaction known to me or any other member of staff. Care is taken with the compilation of the menus, and also with the preparation of each dish. Our fish comes direct from Brixham, and is of a high quality as would be expected. I have to say that your reference to "green custard" is gratuitous and inaccurate.

With regard to our Staff, we receive regular plaudits relating to the high standard of service and hospitality offered. If your experience did not come up to the standard we would expect, then I apologize. As a matter of interest, we have recently been given a "Silver Award" by Visit England in recognition of the high standards of service, food and accommodation that we provide, and this involves a great deal of effort and commitment from all members of Staff.

You state that the cost for one night was "about £400". You were orignally booked in for three nights, but decided to leave late on the afternoon of the second day for your own reasons which had nothing to do with the hotel. As a result you were charged for the second night, so the total amount charged was for two nights not one.

Clearly I am extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel with a less than favourable impression of the hotel, and we take seriously all feedback. I do believe, however, that in this instance you have adopted an unnecessarily agressive and intemperate approach which undermines your case. Had you made your grievances known to me at the time of your stay (as I was on duty each day), I would have made every effort to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. As it is I can only express my sincere regret that you have such a negative opinion of the Palace, but assure you that this is very much the exception, not the rule.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I brought my Wife to the hotel for a three night DBB break last weekend (16th September 2011) for a weekend spoil for her 40th birthday. The service as soon as we arrived into Reception was first class. The Receptionist made us feel very welcome and she explained fully where everything was that we needed to know (Bar, Restaurant etc). Our room was lovely and well equipped for our stay. The service in the restaurant was second to none and our waiter for the weekend who os Ryan was very well mannered and fantastic with the guests that he came into contact with. The food was top quality and there was a good choice as well.( I even tried cauliflower cheese for the first time at the hotel). Moving to the Genesis Health Suite, the staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all, we really enjoyed our weekend and will definitely be booking to stay at the hotel again. Many thanks to all the staff and keep up the good work.
Greg & Rachael Johnson. Newport, Gwent

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank GregCJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
5.2 km away
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#37 of 89 in Torquay
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,084 reviews

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!