All reviews comfortable rooms night stay railway memorabilia great location tea and coffee home from home full english lovely breakfast nothing is too much trouble steam railway wonderful hosts cooked breakfast cathy suite cereal seafront zoo
Reviewed July 1, 2018

We have just returned from a one night stay here and found it excellent the staff are so helpful and welcoming the room was tastefully decorated with a large shower and a separate area to sit in, breakfast was a choice of 7 cooked item and a variety of cereal with orange, grapefruit or apple juice, tea/coffee and toast there are a number of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance for evening meals, we intend to return again

1  Thank pete410
Reviewed June 25, 2018

The room was superb, great decor , comfy king size bed and luxurious en suite bathroom. Cathy and John made Laura and me most welcome. The breakfast was excellent, well cooked and also large selection of cereals. A special mention to merrick who went out of his way to ensure that our stay was memorable. I can recommend the great western unreservedly. Bob griffiths

Reviewed June 16, 2018

Came here after rondomly deciding to stay in the area for a few more days after a weeks stay in Dartmouth.

Booked on booking.com, however as I am disabled I needs a ground floor room (can't do many stairs). Went to have a look at the hotel before actually statying here, mainly to check I could actually use the hotel.

Was greeted by Cath and John, who were amazing. They let me look at the facilities and they ensured I had a ground floor room.

Went to check in on our arrival day and was greeted again by Cath and John. Such a lovely welcome. Offered us tea and coffee while we checked in.

Went to our room and it was lovely. The little touches like putting a stool in my bathroom shower so could sit while bathing (without even having to ask!)

Room had a door to the garden area and we asked Cath if we could use it to go out of the hotel as it was easier for me to walk to the beach. Cath and John ensured that the area was free of any obstacles without any fuss.

After going out for a couple of hours to enjoy the area. We got back to our room to find our lovely hosts has placed 2 chairs and cushions outside our door, so we could enjoy the outside area. How amazing and thoughtful.

Breakfast was wonderful. So much choice and you never leave hungry!

Cath and John are wonderful hosts and they always knew your name. Always with a smile and the offer of a cuppa- all day long!

Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Looking forward to seeing Cath and John again they make you feel like family not customer or guests.

Reviewed April 16, 2018

This hotel appears as The Great Western Hotel on other listings. There are lots of Railway memorabilia, including a miniature railway track. All the rooms I saw were recently decorated, clean and comfortable. We had a deluxe room with plenty of space, storage space and a huge comfortable bed. The hosts are incredibly welcoming. Breakfast, which is included, was a cereal buffet with orange juice plus full english. Plenty of everything! Location is brilliant with easy walk to seafront restaurants and the beach. Yes, the decor and furnishings are a bit old-fashioned but that is Paignton! Free wifi which was excellent, I was able to livestream Skysports Cricket! Car park was a bit of a squeeze but owner came out to help us manoeuvre!

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed April 13, 2018

Absolutely superb. Catherine and John are excellent hosts. Nothing is too much trouble. A real home from home. Easy stroll to the beach and local amenities. You couldnt wish for a better location in which to explore Torbay. Wonderful breakfast.

Date of stay: March 2018