“Beyond expectations...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Lewes, UK
“Beyond expectations...”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

From the moment we arrived to celebrate our anniversary, we encountered fabulous levels of customer service and a room with the most beautiful view over the Lough and grounds. The reception staff we're so helpful, going beyond expectations when supporting unusual April fool's requests!! As for the fabulous Michelin star restaurant, again beyond expectations.... We had a great evening exploring the Irish Whisky selection at the bar. Overall the Culloden Estate deserves the 5* and we left with such a good memory, that we would recommend that a trip to Belfast would incomplete without resplendent indulgence at the Culloden Estate.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Enveetrekkers

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on tripadvisor for the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind words regarding the Culloden Hotel. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Mr Stephen Meldrum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Culloden is a typified 5 star, set in impressive grounds, however for a five star there were a few minor cracks showing. The plug socket in the bedroom was hanging off and in fact looked a little dangerous. There was no complimentary body lotion, something that I would expect from a guest house, and certainly in a 5 star. We were situated on the ground floor with and excellent view, but the room had no net curtains, and so we couldn't let any natural light into the room whilst changing.

We were brought a plate of sandwiches on our first night, however chose not to eat them, having left early the following morning and returning late at night to what should've been a clean room, the previous nights sandwiches were still on the table, and the cups hadn't been cleaned. I have perhaps been a little pedantic in this review, however, when paying five star prices, I believe that every element should be impeccable.

The staff at the hotel were pleasant, and we had a good stay, but it isn't the best 5 star I have stayed in.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Gemma_Welltravel

With regards to your review of your experience in the Culloden Estate & Spa, I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor. My team and I would have welcomed the opportunity to have spoken to you on the evening of your visit regarding the points which you have detailed above.

I am genuinely disappointed that your experience of the Culloden was not as it should have been, and for this I apologise wholeheartedly. We pride ourselves on providing professional, courteous and efficient customer service, so I appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention.

Your inadequate visit to the Culloden Estate and Spa has not, and will not, be tolerated as the standard provided to guests and indeed is not in line with our usual five star standards.

I genuinely thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I would like to ensure you that I will be closely monitoring the quality of service standards being provided over the coming months.

Please accept my apologies and I thank you for brining this to my attention. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future where I am confident we can improve on your last experience.

Stephen Meldrum
Carrigart
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I recommended this hotel to visiting American relations and although they were happy with their accommodation, they had a huge issue with WIFI in their room. They had to pay over the odds for little or no WIFI coverage and were very frustrated with the way the system operated. In this day in age, with modern technology as it is, such issues SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE! WIFI should not be an extra charge.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VerityCarrigart
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear VerityCarrigart

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor regarding your American relations experience at the Culloden Estate & Spa.

Our wireless internet is provided by BT Openzone, which we believe offers our guests an unrivalled level of service and security. This comes at a small charge, and whereas some hotels hide this in their room rate, we believe in offering our guests transparency when it comes to costs. We also have an internet kiosk which is available for our guests use.

I was delighted to learn that they were happy with their accommodation and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome them back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I recently visited Belfast for the first time as was lucky enough to be attending a wedding at the Culloden! We stayed for 3 blissful nights where the staff went over and above in every aspect to ensure our stay was perfect.

Beautiful grounds with lots of lovely areas to walk around outside, a lovely welcoming foyer and bar area and an amazing spa.

We also ate in the Cultra Inn where the staff welcomes us as if we were old friends and the food was delicious and excellent value.

I was so sad to leave the Culloden and hope I have an opportunity to return soon. It was a lovely break to celebrate with friends, see a beautiful part of Ireland and recharge my batteries!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Dollshoe

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Culloden Estate & Spa with potential travellers. I would also like to express my thanks at your very kind comments towards the Culloden Hotel and particularly towards our staff.

I was delighted to learn that you had found our staff to go over and above in every aspect to ensure your stay was perfect.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 April 2012

As restaurants go, this is by far one of the best I've ever been to. And I like my food :) The staff are amazing & they deserve their Michelin star. The hotel grounds are beautiful, as are the tea rooms. I love the bar. Dark & welcoming with a blazing fire in the winter. Am a big fan of quiet relaxing hotels. And this is my favourite one.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank retro_luv
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Retro_luv

Thank you for taking the time to write to a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate & Spa.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife and I had (what turned out to be the great fortune) of a one night stay Thursday 29 Mar 12. Part pleasure part business. In a one line summary - thourougly impressed with hotel and its wonderful staff; and absolutly treated with a wonderful meal in the Mitre restaurant.

Upon arrival to time of departure the next morning we were welcomed and treated most excellently. The first impressions on arrival are great and the check in and transition to the suite was smooth and well managed - nothing a problem to front desk or concierge.

Suite was impeccably clean and beds terrifiicbaly comfortable.

After a relaxing drink by the open fire (yes roaring and welcome even at end of March) we progressed to the restaurant to meet friends (2 VIP's in town) who were in town.

Again Maitre D and his staff welcomed us and made us feel most welcome and important. Chefs menu read well and many great choices available. They had a great knowledge of the menu and eager to help with choices.

So it was to daily specail - scallops with Black pudding followed by the sirloin steak, Wonderfully presented and absolutley delightful - a true hidden gem. Somewhere we should really use more regularly even when not staying at the hotel.

I certainly was thrilled with the meal and i can also advise there were 4 very happy diners that evening. Plaudits to Chef McKnight....and his surprise added extra fish hors d'oeuvre again A1.

All in all a great stay at a great hotel only enhanced by some wonderful food. Delighfully accompanied by super wines - forgot to mention great choices of wines!

Room Tip: Be sure to dine in the restaurant for evening meal
Dear Jonathan K

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at the Culloden Estate & Spa.

Your comments have been passed through to all our departments and has given our staff a very nice boost to morale, something which is always important to ensure the continuation of our five star service.

Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Yesterday i visited the Culloden to celebrate my wedding anniversary, and as usual it was a fantastic experience. Our suite on the 3rd floor was bright and clean, with a gas fire that was perfect to nap in front of when we first checked in. After a quick dip in the pool we went to the Mitre restaurant for a quiet dinner. The service, surrondings were all very welcoming, as was a lovely table for 2 with views across belfast Lough.

the whole experience was charming, but the dinner itself was the highlight of the visit, with a delicious menu offering a variety of local produce, imaginately prepared. I choose crab, followed by lamb as a main and local cheeses to finish - while my wife had goats cheese, salmon and creme brulee. The quality of all the dishes were faultless and i can confidently say it was the best lamb i have ever eaten. The flavours & presentation of the food really was 5*, and along with great service made it a fantastic stay.

Dear Timdrumneath3848

I was delighted to learn that you had found the hotel to be a “fantastic experience”.

Mr Stephen Meldrum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Stormont Hotel
#10 of 45 in Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!