“Not five stars or anywhere close”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 22 April 2012

1. Dirty toilet. Actually visibly dirty which any cursory toilet clean should have removed. Very bad first impression.
2. No net curtain so no natural light as our room faced the garden and if u wanted privacy then the curtain had to stay closed.
3. Very poor artificial light in the room - lamps had big shades which made it difficult to read.
4. Decor dated and a bit jaded throughout- eg big ugly cabinet selling all manner of tacky souvenirs in the corridor
5. Stingy toiletry selection - no body lotion , no face cloths
6. Charge for newspapers to the room / no extras at all were given.
7. Service at breakfast a bit sparse

The location is fab. The bed was very comfy and the food at breakfast had a good selection of local produce.
They need to do a good bit of house work to call this a five star hotel though unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2012
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Za_za_zu

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism regarding your experience. In my capacity as General Manager of the Estate, I, as do my colleagues value your feedback, be it positive or negative. It is only through such feedback that we may rectify any shortcomings and prevent their reoccurrence.

There is, of course, no excuse that I can offer other than to assure you that this has not, and will not, be tolerated as the standard provided to guests and indeed is not in line with our usual five star standards.

I genuinely thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I would like to ensure you that I will be closely monitoring the quality of service standards being provided over the coming months.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future where I am confident we can improve on your last experience.

Stephen Meldrum

Reviewed 22 April 2012

The Mitre Resturant - 6 stars for service could not get better. It was polite, slick and great attention to detail without being overly fussy. The food was to die for, fresh exquistely prepared with all 8 plates presented at the same time. The "50 " Day aged steak just melt in the mouth with wonder flavour.
To sum in 2 words. " wonderfully Perfect "

Stayed: April 2012
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Davidcrowe

Thank you for taking the time to write to a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate & Spa.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We visited the Culloden for a Van Morrison Concert (in the Hotel!). While my wife went for a swim, I went for a walk in the gardens to see and admire the great sculptures dotted around the lawns. Passing the venue for the concert, I sneaked a peek inside, only to see a man looking back at me, who promptly came outside and when I told him that I was there for the concert, invited me in, showed me around, gave me the menu for the concert, found our seats on the event managers list and offered to change the starter on the menu if it didn't suit my pregnant wife! He made of point of checking to make sure that everything was ok for my wife when we arrived for the concert. I will stay there again. The location is beautiful and the staff are excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Mccarthymor

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you are planning on returning to the Culloden Estate & Spa. It is encouraging to receive such positive comments as we are continually striving to make sure every guest has a very special experience with us.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Visited the Mitre restaurant (established family favourite) during April 2011 - food was superb as always and the staff overall were responsive, with attention to detail. Once we were seated in the restaurant having waited in the lounge area for a while the service was great and ensured that we will return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

On our recent trip to Ireland we had the most lovely family dinner at the Culloden Estate. The service and food was nothing less than excellent!! Thanks for a meal with family to remember.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear 30ish61

Following your review of 16 April 2012, I am writing to express my thanks at your very kind comments

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The stay was amazing go , the staff , food , view, we're lovely . The staff are professional and attentive and nothing was to much problem. The restruant was well ran we eat there on our first night and the food was out of this world. What a team

Many thanks

Teer family

Stayed: February 2012

Dear Corina C

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate & Spa and particularly about our staff.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Located in the georgeous grounds of the culloden estate the cultra inn is the perfect place to spend a sunny day. The outside eating area is idealic looking over the grounds. The location was equalled however by the excellent service and food we received. The waitress even brought out water for my dog. I had not eaten here in a while and must say the menu has improved greatly since my last visit. The menu has something for everyone and my vegetarian meal was as nice as my friend's meat option which seldom occurs. The indoor dinning area is just as inviting with huge fires and a friendly atmosphere. Will definately be back

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Holywood300

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor.

Mr Stephen Meldrum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!