Hillside Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
Koala Cottage(Ventnor)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmodern arthis teamisle of wightvegetable gardenhome grownsmall hotelhigh standardno tea or coffee making facilitieswarm welcomeoverlooking the seaunderfloor heatingenjoyable staywonderful weekendbreakfast was excellentdanishhousescandinavian
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We booked the Hillside based on other reviews for a special birthday for my wife.
From the moment I booked Gert fielded all my questions on e-mail very quickly and from that point on the service was simply first class. Nothing is too much trouble for Gert or his team. We were even offered a lift from the Bistro in town, the new sister restaurant (excellent too), but were so full we though the walk would do us good. This is the type of place that I would have no hesitation in recommending to even my most discerning friends and I believe it's somewhere that we'll keep going back to. We ate in the restaurant two out of our three nights and the food was excellent. Ok, you may be a little limited by the set menu, but actually that meant that we ended up trying one or two things that we ordinarily wouldn't and were very pleasantly surprised. Expectations certainly fulfilled, if not exceeded.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank APhi
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Well, its not often you find a place like this. A wonderful building and people who have a passion for trying to make us punters happy. I could attempt to pick holes in it but that would be churlish when someone like Kurt, who runs this place, is putting so much thought and care in to balancing quality,comfort, value and individuality. The fact he is is Scandanavian probably helps. Well done to him and his team. Hope he has the energy to keep it going. If you are reading this with a view to going to Isle of Wight go nowhere else and make sure you book dinner. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view but if you can't get one, go anyway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oldbutkeen
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We enjoyed our previous stays so much (and the cycling opportunities on the IOW) that we booked again. Gert and the team really know the meaning of the word hospitality and it is testiment to them that we again found our expecations being exceeded......we only stayed two nights but felt like we had been away for a week. Spotlessly clean, one of the best breakfasts I can remember (sufficient to fuel a lap of the island on our bikes without much of stop!!) and first class attentive service.

We dined at hillside both evenings and we were treated to great food. When we go again we will try Gerts new (ish) restaurant in the town which I believe is called Bistro, just for a change.

A couple of the guests we spoke to during our stay were grumbling about rigid check in / check out times and the absense of flexibility on the dining time which is set at 7.00 oclock. I think this would be valid criticism of a larger hotel but I would class hillside as a boutique B & B / small hotel were this kind of practice , in our experience, is common.

Already looking forward to our next trip.....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2012

For the sunniest part of the Isle of Wight we got mainly wet, but did get the chance to enjoy the superb garden for coffee one afternoon, the conservatory and garden are a great extension when the weather permits.
Trying to describe the hotel is a challenge, but a good one! It is individual, immaculate and friendly. Booking the restaurant is worth it, everything possible is local and the wine list is reasonable. If you like arts, are something of a foodie and appreciate quality, this is definitely for you.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I went to this guest House with my sisters for my birthday.The rooms were spotless,well done cleaning team.
The views were lovely,a great location for visiting.The only thing we thought was strange,we had to ring on the front door bell to enter the house,and that was only if no one was behind the curtains watching us ,to open the door before we rang the bell.
The beds were really comfortable,which makes a lovely change from a lot of hotels and guest houses.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends