“Spectacular main course is too good for the puds to match”
Review of 14 North

14 North
Ranked #11 of 168 Restaurants in Douglas
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

You need to book this smart restaurant offering modern cuisine. Main courses were very good indeed (hake based stew) served by very friendly staff who made great menu suggestions

My dessert did not work quite so well (Perhaps a little burnt & with less flavour than expected) & I could see that a different dessert on a a different table was also not quite up to scratch. Don't get me wrong the food was still edible (This is a middle class problem let's face it) & the staff handled the comments very well indeed (frankly I think they were mortified) but this was quite high price tkt food (the main course was great value) so it needs to deliver

Yes I would definitely give the restaurant a 2nd visit. A most enjoyable evening

Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

Good menu ! Good service ! And reasonably priced ! Just sometimes just abit too busy and cramped ! But great food ! Try mushroom soup ! Just wonderful !

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We generally enjoyed our main meals but one meal was substantially tastier than the other (kudos to the fish). The warm welcome and service was very good. Two of the dishes we chose (an appetizer and main course) were from the specials menu and were both very good but both were priced higher than anything on the menu. Overall, a good meal with good service.

Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant by some locals we met on the ferry over. We visited on a bitterly cold evening, yet when we walked in we were greeted with a warm and enticing atmosphere. Pleasant decor and comfortable seating arrangement. The staff were very helpful and service was what you would expect.

The menu was a little limited, but the selections on offer sounded lovely. My wife had a lamb dish, with herb mash and red cabbage, whilst I had Hake served on a Chorizo, Queenie and butter bean stew. Presentation was very good and the quality of the food was first class, but the real disappointment came with the taste. Extremely bland...... no seasoning whatsoever and unable to define the different ingredients. It was a very strange conception. Eating good quality food, yet cooked in a maner that then resembled chewing a plastic bag. A real shame.

I spoke to the Manager and explained that both meals had no flavouring or seasoning. He offered to replace my meal, but in all honesty I thought adding a little seasoning would do the trick. I asked for some black pepper and salt, but this had little effect. I then asked for some chilli flakes which just masked the issue. We also had a side order of cauliflower served with what was described as a blue cheese, but I think they forgot the blue cheese! It was pretty awful, just bland cauliflower.

We did eat our meals, but the disappointment will not enable us to visit again. Plus the £70+ bill, with just a bottle of beer, a glass of wine, no starters, no deserts and no coffee left us feeling a little deflated. Sorry, but I would find it really hard to recommend this place.

You have a great little restaurant here, so may I suggest that you use some traditional seasoning to compliment and bring out the flavouring of the food that you are serving?

Date of visit: March 2018
4  Thank JimVardy
Reviewed March 11, 2018

This was a more recent visit (this time in the evening). Food was ok but little things became irritating e.g. we weren’t advised there were specials available until the table next to us were offered them and by the too late for us. We ordered a £29 bottle of red wine which was unceremoniously put on the table, not poured or an offer to taste (not that that worries me particularly) but what was very annoying was the fact the bottle was stone cold! So, food was ok (not brilliant this time); service polite but lacklustre. Come on 14 North please, please don’t go down the dreaded Manx “that’ll do” route, I know you can do so much better that than this.

Date of visit: March 2018