All reviewsgee veeisle of wightopposite the beachsea viewfamily run hotelon arrivalgreat weekendbrilliant locationcoach partybar priceslong weekendbed was comfortablesea frontexcellent value for moneychoice of foodthoroughly enjoyed our staymy mum
Reviewed May 4, 2016 via mobile

We booked to visit the Marina Bay Hotel in Isle of Wight and coach travel to accompany this visit.

We eventually got checked in and off to the room. Sadly the room was less than welcoming. Try and picture this, dirty, sticky, poorly decorated, stained carpets, fousty smelling, freezing cold room. You can stop imagining this now, and instead view the images below.

The room was poorly decorated, to the extent where there are just holes in the wall, paint marks everywhere.

The floor was disgustingly dirty. I refused to be bear foot in the room, so instead wore bed socks. These were so disgustingly dirty on departure I threw them in the bin.

The radiators in the room were not functioning. We complained on two occasions and the owner on the desk ignored the complaint and insisted they were working perfectly fine and on timer. Later on in the evening we returned to room to see a small radiator had been placed there, which was no where near sufficient to heat the whole room. So clearly the radiators were not working.

The towels get changed just once in a week, which is absolutely appalling. When we complained that we wanted more he explained you dry them on radiators and use them again. Oh, so dry them on the radiators that don't work? He went onto explain that apparently every hotel and B&B on the island is exactly the same. However whilst on our travels we popped into another hotel, who confirmed they change their luxury towel everyday, so that's another lie he told us. I ended up purchasing my own, as I was fed up with constantly arguing with him for such a simple request. Eventually two days later the manager found his way off his phone and to our room to replace out towels.

The bed that evening was so uncomfortable and hard. I would have had more pleasure in sleeping on a paving slab than the beds.

While having a shower the following morning, the whole shower holder fell off the wall and landed on my head. Of course when we went to complain, the man behind the desk just laughed at us, and carried on playing his game on his phone. Furthermore there was no blind on the bathroom window, so the neighbouring hotel could see straight into our bathroom when in the shower. Although the window is frosted, you can still see through to a degree.

It was it this point we realised what the fousty smell was. The drainage pipe of the toilet, (more commonly known as tumble dryer outlet pipe) was leaking, along with a constant stream of water from the toilet cistern.

Now the positive, the breakfast was absolutely beautiful, sadly we can't say the same for the evening meal. It seems the hotel had a job lot delivery of Chicken that week, as that was all that was on offer for the majority of the week. Although don't get me wrong, this chicken was cooked differently each night.

To add to all of the owner was the most obnoxious, arrogant person I have ever had the dis-pleasure of meeting. All he did was sit behind the desk on his phone all week, and when you complained or asked anything simply laughed in your face or argued back. It wasn't just us complaining about the hotel, a couple who we were talking to also complained numerous times where their shower had also fallen off the wall. Another couple had some sort of fly or flea on their towed. The proof of the pudding of said attitude is the way he speakers to customers on here who complain.

We actually were ready to come home on Tuesday morning, but after pricing ferry, and transport back home it sadly become impossible.

This may sound like a comedy sketch, however I can assure you this was the most disgusting and disappointing holiday I have ever been on in my entire life. If I had wanted to go to Fawlty Towers, I would have gone to Torquay, and even he would have given better customer service!

Apparently the hotel went under refurb in January, not sure what exactly was done, but I suggest they get a different set of decorators next time.

And before you say 'you fail to mention that this is a 2* hotel and sounds like I was expecting 4*' I can assure you I wasn't. I just expect decent standards!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
17  Thank amilo08
Reviewed April 19, 2016

We stayed at this hotel for Easter Weekend with Travelstyle Tours. We really enjoyed our stay. The Ferry was late so we went straight in to dinner which was very nice and we were rather hungry at this point. I had contacted the hotel to ask for a low floor as I have difficulty with stairs. We were given room 3 on the ground floor, at the side of the hotel, and was very clean, with plenty of drawer and wardrobe space. We didn't smell food cooking as someone else had noted for this room. This was very good value for money for 3 nights half board, coach and ferry travel. The only negative is that at times the room was cold and we didn't have a separate heater like some of the other rooms. Thank you for a really nice weekend. Just a pity the weather was so bad.

2  Thank marion f
Reviewed April 2, 2016

We stayed at this hotel for a Easter Break with a tour company, on arrival it looked OK, we had to have our evening straight a way, as it serves dinner from 6.30 til 7pm, there was a choice of evening I meal it was hot and enjoyable. The meals during our stay were very good plenty of choice and it was always hot. The staff were pleasant and friendly. The entertainment was also good. Only thing that spoils the hotel was the rooms we were in room 41 the bed was comfortable but the bathroom it was very small and the sink was very small you could just about manage to have a wash. The Hotel looked very tired, but it was ok for a 3night stay, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Marina Bay H, Owner at Marina Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2016

Thanks for taking time to write this review. Unfortunately your tour did arrive very late, we had to delay our dinner to 7pm, however glad to hear you enjoyed your meals daily.
Room 41 does have a partial seaview which was a bonus for you. Pleased to hear you found the room and bed comfortable. The bathroom size is typical hotel ensuite size, which we obviously cannot make larger, therefore the size of the sink is determined by this. Just so other travellers are aware we have updated this rooms bathroom Aug 2015 along with the room decor.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with the comments of the hotel looking tired. We only in January 2016 redecorated our reception, bar and dining areas. We have carried out extensive work over the last 3 years, rennovating nearly 75% of the hotel rooms and bathrooms. We feel we are the only hotel in Sandown that has carried out this much refurbishment over the last few years.
Also not to mention we fully decorated the hotel for Easter, including giving all our guests a chocolate egg on Easter Sunday, not sure which other hotel decorates for Easter.
Regards

Reviewed April 1, 2016

My wife and I stayed for 5 days in March,i spoke to lady in reception on arrival re my coeliac diet problem,not to worry just inform my waiter.
Spoke to Trevor my waiter when ordering our evening meal,he couldent have been more helpful and careing,the young lady and Trevor who looked after our group worked there socks off,also thanks to Andrew the chef who catered for my diet.
Our room on the first floor was large,clean,and tidy,with tea and coffee supplied,also the bed was comfey,with nice white sheets,and towles,our only complaint was the wash basin was mutch to small.
The young man in the bar was very plesant,and we also had very good entertainment on for three nights,so thank you all for an enjoyable stay from both of us.

Room Tip: Sea view would be nice
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write this review.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope to see you again, regards

Reviewed March 28, 2016

Stopped here for four days the food was excellent and the staff were friendly ,polite and could not do enough to make your stay relaxing and pleasant, The rooms are clean and tidy with Tea / Coffee making added to your room/comfort , The Entertainment catered for the majority of the age group there really good.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View ,
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing such a positive review.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to see you again some time.
Regards