All reviews superior room coal fire high tea shower tray exceptional value on arrival beds were comfortable return visit great shower double bed main course scones meal plug ensuite scotland whiskey
Reviewed May 26, 2015

Expected a better quality hotel in the centre of town. Hotel car park is small and if you are not early enough you won't find a space. We had a party of 7 and all stated that their rooms were basic and dated. Mine had two window slots that probably would not look out of place in Barlinnie prison. Television in the rooms was about the same size as a seat back one in a plane. Public rooms were ok and breakfast was very good. Staff friendly and helpful but hotel itself needs some investment in modernisation and redecorating.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2015

There were 14 of us, staying at this hotel for 3 nights, and only one of us had a couple of problems, which were resolved quickly. I agree the hotel is dated, but I found it very clean at all times. We were in a superior room, and it was well furnished, and very clean. Good shower area, white fluffy towels and nice bed linen. Plenty of storage in a full size mirror wardrobe, kettle, teabags, coffee, biscuits, and a good hairdryer.
The choice at the evening meal was amazing, and good size portions and everything fresh. Jugs of iced water was supplied without hesitation. Bar prices were not expensive and free WiFi.
Blairgowrie is a very unspoilt small town and my husband and I would choose this hotel again if staying in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2015

Although the public areas of the Royal Hotel are very welcoming, I wish to register my disgust at the accommodation we were given. Our room was accessed along a bare brick, unheated corridor, in an annex of the hotel. The room itself was located above the hotel car park. I asked if it we could have another room, but the only one I was shown was actually (unbelievably) worse than the original so we opted to stay in the first room (No 67).
The room was dingy, with no decoration, only a hole in the wall above the bed where presumably a picture had once been hanging and the curtains were worn & old. There was a very worn and grubby armchair along with a round table which restricted access to one side of the bed. The light fittings above the bed were located exactly where your head would hit them if you sat up in bed and they were fitted with large bulbs which protruded out of the top!
The toilet/shower room was dirty and shabby and the toilet brush was unspeakably filthy! The shower had a 'fixed' shower head, high up on the wall which meant it was not adjustable and the flow of water simply hit the top of your head. There was black mould in the corner of the shower.
There was one mirror in the toilet, located behind the toilet pan & cistern so that one had to kneel on the toilet pan to see to do makeup, etc. The only other mirror was located in the dark 'corridor' area outside the toilet leading into the bedroom area.
The dressing table was in use as a TV/hospitality table and there was no chair provided at it. The 'hospitality' consisted of a small tray with two mugs and two packets of unappetising and broken biscuits along with the usual sachets of tea/coffee and a grubby kettle.
There was no wardrobe, only a rail above a cupboard providing a 'half-length' hanging area so any full-length clothing e.g. coats/dresses etc were folded up on top of the cupboard!
The wall heater in the bedroom was broken and when we reported this a member of staff came up with a free standing fan heater, on which one of the feet was loose and fell off when I moved it!
I was assured that although the room was located above the car park that we would not be disturbed, but unfortunately there is a bar located to the rear of the hotel and the patrons use the car park as a 'smoking area' and we were awakened at midnight by loud voices and cigarette smoke drifting up.
On Sunday morning we went down for breakfast as arranged at 8.30am and waited for ten minutes for the waitress to come and ask for our order for tea/coffee/toast, before I eventually cornered a young man in chef's clothing and he took our order for tea and toast. The breakfast buffet consisted of a jug of apple juice, a jug of orange juice, a jug of milk, a basket containing a variety of cereals and a self-service hot selection. There was no evidence of any fruit/yoghurt/crispbread/croissants which one would normally expect at breakfast in an establishment which is charging £39 per person for bed and breakfast!
I noted while we were having breakfast that the waitress, who was very slow and seemed a bit vague, cleared the used tables and re-set them without first wiping them down - not good hygiene!
I had intended to complain before we left on Sunday morning, but there were no members of staff to be found and we had to deposit the keys in a slot in the Reception Desk and leave without seeing anyone.
I emailed the Royal Hotel to complain and to date I am still awaiting a response.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the annexe, particularly Room 67
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank bullfinch
Reviewed May 15, 2015

The hotel is right in the center of this charming village. The Superior room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was large and the shower amazing. The wifi is strong. The staff was very friendly. There is free parking. Unfortunately, the décor is very tired. It lacks any charm. The rooms are clean but a bit shabby. The breakfast is a buffet limited to a Scottish breakfast and cold cereal. It was below average. The rooms facing the street give you a nice view of the town (there was even a pipe and drum band that marched by that we saw from the window of our room) but there is significant road noise until late at night and starting early in the morning. Although I can't blame the hotel, we had very noisy neighbors who kept us awake. This is not a hotel I would recommend nor return to.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2015

Had lunch here today and was very impressed from the moment we entered the hotel. The receptionist was very welcoming and showed us where to go for our meal. The seating area was bright and had a nice atmosphere. The waitress was very helpful and the meal itself was brilliant. With a starter , a main, a sweet and a glass of wine for £8.95 it was great value for money.The cauliflower and broccoli fritters starter was a meal in itself!!
Would choose here before 'Wetherspoons' any day!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple