All reviews national holidays free drinks shearings holiday shearings hotels self drive stair lift coach driver evening meal small lift third floor per day upgraded room weekend break restaurant staff meal times buffet breakfast lick of paint
Reviewed May 12, 2018

We came here with shearings coaches and what a mistake it was firstly the hotel s carpets where all threadbare and I don't mean the odd carpet I mean all and most importantly the carpets on the stairs could trip up the guest who are bad on their feet then the decor left a lot to be desired with dirty stained paint work and wallpaper falling of the walls now I get on about my room again stained paint work skirting boards falling off and for good measure the loo roll was hanging on by a thread now I get to the restaurant very bad service under cooked and greasey food and lastly the woman who checks you in for meals who I assume to be the manageress needs sacking the way she spoke to an elderly gentleman with his son who is a bit backward at breakfast on the 11th of may having said all that the driver we had was brilliant NIGEL I don't think their was anything thing he didn't know about about the area thanks again Nigel well done and lastly the house keeping was spot on when you consider that they where under staffed

Room tip: Don't go and then you won't be disappointed
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank alsilverf0x
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2018

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Your feedback is important and will help us to improve where needed.
We are in the process of refurbish some parts of the hotel, especially corridors areas as you mentioned and I can assure you that all your comments will be taken on board.
I will personally pass your lovely comments to our driver Nigel and to our housekeeping staff.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your email and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2018

We stayed for four nights on a break with Shearings Coach Holidays. The hotel is well placed for beaches and the harbour, and is near to the main shopping street - although anyone who is not very fit may struggle to walk up the bank to it! However, you can have a lovely stroll through the well kept gardens opposite, where the local museum is also situated, past the theatre (with cafe) and small beach, and proceed along to the harbour without having to walk up any banks. We found the hotel to be clean and welcoming, food was good and we found the portion sizes to be just right. Waiting staff in the dining room were friendly and worked hard to get all meals out promptly, we commented while we were there that we couldn't remember the last time we had had such efficient service. Breakfast was self service, so you could suit yourself how much and what you put on your plate. The break we were on included four free drinks per person each evening, so we really didn't spend very much while we were there. Room was of sufficient size, only downside was that bathroom was a little on the small side. Things to be aware of - the lift doesn't serve the top floor, and only holds 4 people at a time, so there can sometimes be a wait at busy times. The access to the dining room is down several steps, which I saw a few guests struggling with. There is a stairlift available, but I didn't see any staff members offer to show guests who seemed to be struggling with the steps how to use it, it may be that people are worried about knowing how to use it if not invited to do so.

Room tip: Top floor is not serviced by the lift. Steps down into dining room.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel clean and welcoming and enjoyed the food. The Staff will be delighted to see that they looked after you well and provided you with efficient service.
As you said the hotel is well situated to visit the local attractions. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

National coach hol .Frid to Mon.Good location.Clean.We was in refurb room .Bed comfortable.Staff helpful and friendly.Good economic base for walking coast.Breakfast cereal choice,full monty British brekkie.Sets you up for day.Comedian Friday night good old fashioned entertainment.Although we were youngest we met some very nice people.You can learn a lot from a place like this.Customer service and friendly part of the world.

Room tip: 411 ,4th floor refurb.Although lots stairs if you are ok with this.There is lift but only fits 4 peeps so you will have to wait.
Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 712Lynn
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2018

Thank you for your review, Its pleasing to read that you enjoyed your last minute holiday with us and we looked after you well. As you said the hotel is in a great location. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Monday to Friday break . All staff I had contact with were friendly, helpful ,polite and knew their jobs and were very efficient. The full breakfast and three course evening meals were excellent and well presented. My room was a bit dated, but clean and comfortable, only problem it was too hot.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank alaninleominster

Thank you for your review, Its nice to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful, I will pass your comments onto them. As you said the food was excellent and well served I'm sure the Chef will be pleased to see this review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time at this hotel, the staff are very friendly and the hotel very clean. Our room was a little shabby and very hot but the bathroom seemed quite new. We were there with shearings and we're very pleased with the trips. I am lactose intolerant and the chef went out of his way to help and went through the menu with me and told me what was safe for me to eat so I never had an upset stomach while I was there which is a first for me. My only negative is portion sizes at dinner time. I kept having diabetic hypos in the evenings because I hadn't eaten enough.The lift is very small which wasn't a problem to us but there was often a queue as only 4 people can go in it at a time.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Largeheartedgirl

Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review. Its pleasing to read that you really enjoyed your stay and the staff looked after. I will pass your comments onto the chef.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.