“Caldy View”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Caldy View”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed for one night. Room 16 fantastic, brilliant view. Facilities in hotel v good. Breakfast could have been better but plenty of it. Welcoming reception and well worth a visit. We will stay again

Room Tip: Room 16 superb
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Great location with views over Atlantic and big sweep of beach. Well positioned to walk into Tenby for dinner each night- and touring Pembrokeshire during the day.

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for sea view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Wales, U.K.
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I've visited this hotel virtually every year for the last twenty or more years. The rooms are always spotlessly clean and well maintained. The position of the hotel can't be beaten - it overlooks the south beach and you have the best view of Caldy Island from any hotel. Try booking room 17 which has a small balcony and faces directly onto the sea.
Some of the rooms are a bit small given the price but you sometimes have to sacrifice something to get a great location.
The hotel has a bar and lounge which are both newly refurbished. There is a small swimming pool which is quite poular with younger guests. The hotel has its own carpark - a big plus in Tenby.
So why the 'title' of my review? Well, it's the breakfast. It used to be served by a waiter or waitress after being freshly cooked for you. Now it's usually 'help yourself' from a buffet tray. We had to make our own toast and there was little or no fresh fruit available. The marmalade and jams were of poor quality.
These are not minor quibbles - the breakfast is an integral part of the package and standards at breakfast are NOT what they were..........
As a comparison we stayed in several 5 star B&B's in Pembrokeshire around the same time. They provided magnificent views, immaculate rooms and breakfasts way in advance of those at The Atlantic. To make matters worse the cost per night of such B&B's were usually about 70% of the room rate at The Atlantic......
I'll still stay at this hotel occasionally but hope that breakfasts will improve - this is the only meal provided by the hotel so ought to be a 'showpiece' to give guests a reminder of why they should return to The Atlantic.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Mitcheldean, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Ancient but well-kept, small hotel, once occupied by the Belgian Army HQ in 1940.

Overlooking High Cliffs to Caldy Island and a glorious yellow beach.

Next stop as an idea could be Ireland via Pembroke Dock ferry service (Pembroke Dock is about 9 miles from Tenby)

Room Tip: Try to book one of the rare window rooms with an OCEAN view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vegetarian4ever
Newport
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We had a family weekend break here in September. We were bowled over by the friendliness of all the staff and were made to feel really welcome. Our room (a family room) was clean and spacious and the bathroom very large and bright. The cot we had asked for was already set up in the room when we arrived. The parking was very near with plenty of spaces available. The whole family enjoyed the pool and modern spa facilities. Breakfast was excellent, a very wide range of freshly prepared hot food and good variety of continental breakfast style foods. I was particularly impressed when, on our arrival in the breakfast room, our allocated table already had a high chair in place, this typifies the efficient and helpful approach at the Atlantic. The location on the seafront in the heart of Tenby give a panoramic view of the sea and Caldey island. We are all looking forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel for the first three days in September, a friday saturday and sunday. Some of the negative reviews have suggested that there have been problems getting into the car park this was not my experience. I got into the car park on arrival and had no problem getting back in the three times I drove somewhere. My room ovelooked the car park and the only time it was full was saturday night. This was with the hotel being almost full, only two room were empty I was told.

The "scrum to get breakfast" is another negative mentioned in some reviews again this was not my experience despite the hotel being near full and me going to breakfast at the busiest time I did not have to queue for anything at the buffet style breakfat for the three days I was there, which greatly pleased me as I hate queueing for anything.

The hotel and rooms are decorated to a good standard and I found all the staff very friendly helpful and polite. I picked the hotel because it had a swimming pool steam room etc the the two times I used it we had the pool to ourselves. My only minor negative was that the steam room wasn't working the second time I used it.

This hotel isn't cheap but I didn't mind paying a bit extra for the pool and car park. My first time here and I would and will definately come back. I would reccomend the hotel to anyone, its a very well run place with great staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aidan M
UK
Reviewed 28 August 2011

A lovely hotel with excellent service. A beautiful location, with great facilities and I recommend anyone stay here. Really good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple