2,054 results
All reviews conservatory bar promenade view spa facilities front facing steam room bit dated breakfast was buffet style large room short break sea front self service night break full english lord street town centre wedding seafront
Reviewed July 11, 2015

excellent position for town shoping the spa and gym are superb the only bit of a problem was breakfast. the hotel has many rooms unused yet at breakfas time 120 rooms of people are expected to fit in a room no ware near big enough for the amount of people trying to get breakfast there is no organisation of the staff but when you get your food it was very good

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed July 10, 2015

There is much to like about this hotel, starting with the consistently friendly staff who always try to help guests. Great location. Then the public rooms, such as the conservatory bar and the large front lounge are fine. My room (237) was excellent, spotless, well furnished and cleaned well each day. Bed fine and bathroom fine except that the system could not produce hot enough water after about 8.00 most mornings. At the back, but double aspect. Buffet breakfast was fine, if unexciting. But, no Marmite!

The free wifi was inconsistent; fast in the public areas, slow in one part of my room, and no signal in other parts.

The main irksome problem that was never solved was an internal accounts system that either is not fit for purpose, or needs more staff training. First it was unable to record that my company had approved an evening meal and drink to be charged to my room account each night - but not unlimited credit. So my room card was marked 'no credit'. The first night I explained carefully; the restaurant staff checked with reception and all was well. But then repeatedly during the week I was there, I was told (as were my colleagues) that we'd have to pay for the meal and drink personally. Repeatedly. Also, assigning drinks to specific rooms took 30 minutes on the last night, even though we'd given our room numbers with the drink orders. Then the bar double-charged and they had to start again. Then on check-out, I'd been billed for two breakfasts on one day. A few minutes later, a colleague had been billed too much; the reception lady said that this was the first mistake - but it simply wasn't. Finally, one colleague who never took a single breakfast (we were all on a room-only rate) was charged for one for every night of her stay.

So, do check your bills closely! Funny how every error was in favour of the hotel! The hassle with this on the majority of evenings really did reduce our enjoyment of this hotel.

Room tip: Many back rooms can be noisy, especially at weekends.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2015

I was a bit worried as it is not the same as other hotel chains where each hotel is the same so you know what you are getting. We booked a couple of nights using tesco clubcard vouchers. Although I still had money left on the voucher I had to pay an extra £20 per night for my son. If the other hotel we were looking at had had a room available for both nights we would have gone there as they didn't charge. The room was a great size and clean although it looked a bit tired. It is probably no mean feat to keep a hotel that size well decorated. The staff were very friendly and helpful Breakfast was god although fresh mushrooms would have been nice. My son said the quality of the sausages was too good (he is a cheap sausage fan!)

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Tooscaredtospeed
Reviewed July 7, 2015 via mobile

The room I stayed in was absolutely fine, clean and the bed was very comfortable. It's a very mismatched hotel which I like, think it's part of the charm. My colleagues room was just entirely different to mine, but I liked it.

The dinner service was not great. We were with a big party of colleagues and every other order came out wrong, the girl who served us was a little bit surly, and seemed a bit cross that we were ordering, as if we were the problem with working in hospitality. The food, when it arrived (took about 45 minutes) was actually very nice, shame about the service though.

Altogether a nice hotel, so go for it. Maybe go elsewhere for food,

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2015

Stayed here for 6 nights. Was in a single for 3 nights and then had to move to a double when my husband joined me. Hotel was pretty much full, especially over the weekend so no free double that I could stay in the whole time. Didn't really make much difference as I was out from 8.30am to 9.30pm most days. The hotel staff moved my bags for me which was a lot easier than doing it myself.
It is tired in places, but was comfortable. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was great - a good choice.
Didn't have time to try out the pool, unfortunately.

Room tip: Ask for seafront
Date of stay: June 2015