All reviews garden room lord street cooked breakfast mini bar trouser press breakfast was included single room plenty of hot water quiet area full english tea and coffee would stay again within easy walking distance self service short stay comfy bed bit dated
Reviewed March 13, 2018

We were looking for somewhere to stay for the Lib Dem conference in Southport which wasn't going to cost a fortune and happened upon the Balmoral Lodge. We booked well in advance and got an exceptionally good rate, enabling us to stay a couple more days, especially as breakfast and car parking were included.

On arrival, we rang the bell and were warmly welcomed - I confess to being slightly worried what we might find, but on getting to our room (7), we were rather impressed. The hotel doesn't set itself out to be the Ritz, and of course a few things could be improved. For example, one thing I'd change in the room is putting a bedside cabinet next to the bed, rather than the drawers. OK, the bathroom has seen better days, and I'm not fond of carpets in bathrooms, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker. We certainly made use of the teapot, something seldom seen in hotel rooms these days! Rather randomly the room contained a chaise longue, adding to the character. On the Sunday night, we were so exhausted from the Conference that we stayed in and watched the Dancing on Ice final – the TV was more than adequate!

The hotel is about 10-15 minutes' walk from the conference centre, and being Southport, about 30 minutes from the beach (even the "promenade" is nowhere near the actual beach - no hotel would really be able to give a sea view!!!!)

Breakfast is hearty enough - the hot breakfast was more than enough to keep me going and there's a range of continental breakfast items - including a couple of nods to a French breakfast such as Nutella and brioches. All perfectly acceptable and served with a smile.

Overall, it did what it said on the tin – it was homely and welcoming – and unlike lots of other places which are festooned with notices and signs, the only ones we saw were asking if they could do anything else or if there was anything else they could do to make the stay more pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 7 is spacious and overlooks the garden rather than the main road.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan M
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Thank you very much for your excellent review and photos. We are very happy that you found our hotel value for money and hope to see you again.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 8, 2018

visited last weekend when it was very very cold -- check in was easy and the nice lady on reception told us breakfast times and gave us a code to use for the side door to use when main door was locked at night, we had a garden room-room 15 and had everything we needed -- nice comfy bed clean towels hairdryer tea and coffee facilities and a nice small fridge plenty of hot water and a large flat screen tv and most of all it was lovely and warm. plenty of choice at the buffet breakfast nice full English and the service was excellent from a very nice pleasant lady we had a lovely weekend and would definitely stay here again very good value

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2018

Thank you for your excellent review, we hope to see you again very soon, Kind regards

Reviewed January 28, 2018

My friend and I have just returned from Southport,lovely weekend away,couldn't fault this hotel,clean,comfortable rooms,good size.Great breakfast plenty of choice,full English breakfast,cereal, toast,fruit,hot drinks,set,s you up for the morning.Free wi_fi,drink making facilities in the room,s,flat screen televisions.
Will gladly recommend this hotel to anyone for their visit to Southport.Will return!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Thank you very much for your excellent review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your time in Southport
Kind regards

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

I thought this hotel would be great having seen the amount of good feedback. But, I can say that this was the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Having then looked at the poorer reviews where the owners denied the criticism I decided to take photos which cannot be denied.

When I booked the chap on the phone kept getting the date wrong. I was worried so emailed for confirmation. No replies were received so I had to call and check. Fortunately he had booked the correct date.

The first night there we found there were short curly hairs on the sheets on one bed. Mum went to ask for a clean sheet but received no apology. The following morning the lady was very apologetic . The two ladies were lovely and helpful. She said she had cleaned the room fully as men had been in there previously and eaten in there.

We also mentioned the remote for the TV was not working. The Chap insisted there was nothing wrong with it. It was held together with tape! He asked again the next day and to make things easier I said it worked. He said he knew it was ok as the TV was new. Which is odd...the PAT test sticker on the TV said 2013?

The photos speak for themselves really. The bathroom was filthy. Not swept, I don't wear hair clips so if the previous occupants were men I dread to think how long it is since it has been cleaned. Some tiles were held in place with sealant and there was mould everywhere.

The sheets didn't fit the bed properly so I had to remake it as the sheet crept down the bed.

There was also a dirty sock by the bed on the floor. The sock photo is quite dark.

The hotel was really cold, but there was a heater that could be used. So that's ok.

The next day someone went in and emptied the bins and made the bed. No clean cups were left, the tea tray wasn't topped up. Nothing was cleaned.

The towels were not replaced either, which was dissapionting as we hoped they may notice we had no hand towel and only had one smaller towel and only one bath sheet.

The dining area was not as dirty but there was dust on the walls and skirting and other areas. There was kitchen roll instead of napkins on the tables which was different.

Looking at the other reviews I really don't understand how people staying the previous week could leave such a good review? Dirt of that level takes a while to build up. But I did note that it was the garden rooms which received the poorer feedback. We were in a garden Room, or the jungle as the staff reffered to it. It was unkept and severely overgrown.

On a positive, the ladies were lovely and as I said earlier the breakfast was great. But having seen the state of the rooms I just had to eat it and not think how bad the kitchen may be.

Very dissapionting.

Btw the hotel was dated as others mention. I have no problem with dated or even shabby. However I do expect cleanliness.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sh8r0n
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Very true that i do not take some reviews seriously because they are not constructive. You arrived at midday and came at 22.30pm to tell us that a sheet was not clean and the remote was not working. You had all afternoon to come and we could have rectify anything for you or even give you your money back (£ 69.00 for 2 nights breakfasts included for 2) and help you to find a better accommodation for that price.The remote works! you cannot use it if you are on the side but in front of the tv and it is totally ridiculous to make us believe you said ok to make it easier. In NO case you want to make things easier! A new sheet was given, you did not used it, what was the problem? Single sheets are single sheets, they are the size for single beds! You asked me to take some milk in a pot as you said i did not need to put new individual sachets in your room and now you blame us for it. Yes, there will be some costumers who are not happy and most of the times we have no problem as they come as soon as they arrive for us to rectify what ever is not right. But some others like you just like to write to complain!

Reviewed January 14, 2018

Great stay large room, clean bedding, extras in bathroom, extra comfy beds, hot and well cooked breakfast, excellent customer service, quick check in, and you definitely get more for what you pay for great value for the money paid. Would definitely recommend to friends and family having a trip to Southport. And will definitely return soon. Many thanks x

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank Vicky P
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2018

Thank you so much for your excellent review, we are very pleased with your comments. Kind regards