US$137
US$116
  • Beachfront
The Talbot Hotel(Southport)(Great Value!)
US$73
The Metro(Southport)
  • Breakfast included
Andora Hotel(Southport)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsgarden roomlord streetcooked breakfastmini bartrouser pressbreakfast was includedsingle roomplenty of hot waterstay there againfull englishtea and coffeequiet areawithin easy walking distanceself serviceshort staycomfy bedbit dated
Reviewed July 3, 2018

We have just returned from a stress free four night break in Southport, staying at the Balmoral lodge Hotel. Ok, so the hotel may need a bit of TLC here and there but for the price we paid then we’ve no issues what so ever. The full English breakfast was fine for setting us up for the day and the hotel staff could have not been any more helpful, if they had tried. Think it all depends on what you expect from an hotel for the price you pay.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2018

Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to have you here. You have summarized what people should considered when they pay for a budget hotel and specially an independent. Kind regards

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

After reading some of the recent reviews on here my i was sceptical about what my stay was going to be like. Upon my arrival I managed to park my car in one of the designated spaces for guests, the exterior of the building is nicely painted and rather attractive. Once you walk up the steps you are greeted by a large door and we were buzzed in. The foyer itself is a pleasant space and to the left is a lounge/bar area. We were checked in by the owner who was very polite, helpful and made us feel comfortable immediately. He provided us with the key to the room (9) the WiFi details and the code to buzz in after 9pm when the main door is locked. We went up to the room expecting something out of the channel 4 show Ramsey’s hotel hell, but once we opened the door we were greeted by a very large bed and a bottle of wine. The sheets were fresh and clean, the carpets were hoovered and the tv in the room was larger than most you get in a chain hotel. The bathroom was clean and the shower worked well.

In the morning I ventured downstairs to the tea room and was greeted by a polite woman who asked if I’d like a hot breakfast. Whilst I waited I helped myself to a couple of cups of coffee from the machine which tasted great! The hot breakfast arrived and came with some bacon, a sausage, fried egg and beans which was more than adequate. There was also a table which had pastries, cereal and a stack of bread which you could toast yourself.

All in all I paid £49 and I feel like it was a steal. I slept in a comftable bed, drank a bottle of wine and had a full English. I have nothing to complain about and would happily stay again (and probably will).

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2018

Thank you very much for your excellent review. You paid £49 for the room, breakfast and wine and you are very sensible with your expectations at that price. The problem with the last few reviews is that customers did not even paid £49 and are expecting 5stars service with premium food, 24h staff at reception etc... which we cannot as we are a budget hotel. Now , some customers complained about cleanliness, which is the most important thing in my opinion. I totally agree with them if they do not find the place or linen clean that it is not acceptable. My chamber maids have been 25 years with us, my laundry cleaner 10 years with us and I trust them and I am very sorry if they missed things sometimes. But if it was in the state that some customers would describe the place, I personally would not stay in a place like this. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. Kind regards.

Reviewed June 27, 2018

Budget accommodation. Unremarkable but not too bad for the price. About twenty minutes walk from the centre. Breakfast cereal mixed up in a container.so mixed cornflakes with other stuff, which was odd.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2018

Thank you for your review, the cereals in the container are all bran flakes from different suppliers then can look different sometimes
Kind regards

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

We stayed with our two children at the hotel for one night. I am glad it was only a fleeting visit. The staff at the hotel were incredibly friendly and helpful. We arrived just before the cut off time and the staff did call us to ensure we were going to make it before the reception shut which was nice.
We were given a room on the top floor. The corridors are incredibly clostrophobic up there. The room it’s self was interesting. It was something out of fawlty towers. Very old and dated except the TV which was reasonably modern. The bed linen was clean, except the throw and display pillows which looked as if they had never been washed and where immediately relagated to the floor. The kids had a bunk bed set up which they thought were exciting. The bedding again was clean if poorly made up.
The carpet was disgusting. I wouldn’t let the kids walk about with out there shoes on. The curtains were dirty. It was generally dirty every where, door frames had dirty marks etc.
The bathroom was horrible. There was a damp dirty bath mat on the floor which when I stepped on it an insect came out from underneath. The suite it’s self was very old. Behind the toilet was full of cobwebs filled with dead insects.
The bath had a brown tideline and smudges. I had a shower out of complete nessercity but the family said they would rather wait! At least the water was hot.
The breakfast was included and started off ok. It’s budget stuff but again it was ok. One of the toasters wasn’t working. The fridge units look old and tired. There was dust all over the place and the room wasn’t the cleanest. It was also incredibly hot!. The cook breakfast was grim. I tried to eat it but I was greasy to the extreme and burnt in places. Again budget ingredients. The best bit was they had a good coffee machine.
I’m afraid I won’t be staying there again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank adam g
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2018

We are very sorry you did not like our place.
Kind regards

Reviewed June 12, 2018

2 night stay at the Balmoral Lodge Hotel (shame it doesn't live upto its name), parking o.k. when you had a space, on entering I could tell the place was very tired, Manager was very polite & gave us our room (9) what a disappointment! we was staying for 2 nights to celebrate my Husbands birthday! surveying the room - 1 bedside light (not working), bulbs missing from centre light, 2 pillows which was not worth putting your head on - they folded in the middle, 2 pillow cases which were dirty & stained, I told the Manageress & she changed them, our duvet cover was threadbare & ripped, I have used better for rags, no bath mat, 2 bath towels which you could see thru, hair dryer with old brown cable which was plugged straight into the plug (health & safety comes to mind), floorboard next to my side of the bed had a mat over it because the board was loose, breakfast was the cheapest of everything, it was brought to you whilst you was eating your cereal, one toaster was working, bread was stale & had mould on the crusts, no side plates just saucers, I would never go back again! even if it was a £1 for 2 nights, disgusting they must be making a fortune.

Room Tip: We only saw 1 room
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MAWBEY
44WALIS, Owner at Balmoral Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2018

We are so sorry you did not like our place. Some of your comments are totally unfounded. The linen comes from my laundry company and i am pleased with it, there is nothing in their stock in a state you described. After inspection on your pillow cases, there was a stain of bleach but were totally clean and i am very sorry not to have noticed it. There is mats on the floor because I like them to be there. Plastic bath mats are available at reception as everything else you need! but you never came to us unless to have new pillows.
The hairdryer is plugged directly for safety reason at the opposite of what you think. Now at £50 per room per night breakfasts included for two, I can assure you that if i was making a fortune since 30 years being self-employed I would not work anymore! The food come from bookers and Costco and are a good quality (not premium, I am not a 5*) and I noticed you finished your plates every mornings!
I am only very sad that my husband and myself having spoken to you so many times and specially with your husband who was so kind, that you did not tell us all these defects from the first minute as we would have gave you your money back and help you find another hotel more suitable to your need. BUT i can assure you that the price would not have been the same at all for the week-end in Southport. Kind regards