“Little Things....”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We booked to stay two nights on the Autumn Madness deal - the Assistant Manager I spoke to confirmed the price and that breakfast was included and sent an email confirming such. When we arrived the manager informed me that breakfast was not included, regardless of what was stated on my confirmation. In lieu he gave us an upgrade to the Princess & Pea suite - a lovely room with a small lounge area. It was too hot the first night and being on the main road you couldn't open a window, but they sorted out the heating and it was fine after that. The room is very dark with only side lights, it really needs overhead lighting as one night I went out with a pair of black tights around my neck instead of my scarf! The hotel is well situated with good parking. The interior areas are fresh and the cleanliness very good. The restaurant food was excellent - we had the steak and it lives up to its promise as did the other dishes. Breakfast was also good. The staff were friendly and polite. I would recommend this hotel but just be sure what deal you are getting.

Room Tip: one at the back as the town is quite noisy on the weekend
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sutyfirickett
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Dear suityfiric

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review of the Angel Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of our fantastic hotel.
It was regrettable the confusion over the confirmation letter that you received as we always endeavour to make sure that as a team we do not make mistakes, however we are human and from time to time small errors do occur, however we make sure that we listen to our customers and do what we can to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. I am sorry that you received a confirmation that showed that we were including breakfast in your Autumn madness offer, but as I showed you when you arrived it is very clear on the website that it was a room only rate for a standard room, I then offered to include breakfast at a discounted rate which you accepted.
As a customer focused business we always try to make sure we do everything possible to enhance and exceed our customers expectations ,as a gesture on this occasion I upgraded you to the best room in the hotel at no additional expense to yourselves rather than just offering the standard room you had originally booked.
All of our rooms do have windows that you can open, as you would expect in a hotel of our quality, and a member of my managemant team was always available to assist you if you were having difficulty. In addition each of the radiators has a thermostatic valve attached to it in order that you can control the temperature in your room.
These controls have been installed with ease of use for all of our guests and I am sorry that you were unable to make use of these additional touches we have made to make your stay more enjoyable.
Thank you again for your very positive feedback regarding our breakfast and our fabulous steaks prepared by our kitchen team, they were delighted to recieve your comments.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel on you next visit.

best wishes

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We went to the Angel in Midhurst as part of a gift we received and wow! what a superb old world hotel it was. We arrived on a Saturday, we were warmly greeted and led to our room. The room was lovely, just enough for a two day stop over. We went to the hotel restaurant on the Saturday (it didn't have these facilities for the Sunday) and the food was superb, top quality nosh it must be said and the staff, especially Richard, were wonderfully welcoming. The food prices reflected the quality on the plate and the location, so well worthwhile. A superb Argentinian fillet steak cost £25 which I would happily pay again for similar quality. On the Sunday we went to Goodwood races, we had a great hotel breakfast to send us on our way and arrived at Goodwood racetrack about 11.10, the track didn't open until 11.30 but we were not told that until we arrived!! We had a fantastic day, Goodwood is rather quaint in comparison to say Cheltenham racecourse, but nevertheless an absolutely splendid day. However beware the only problem, and it is probably over the top to say it was a problem, but trying to find a taxi to get back to the hotel was almost impossible, so BIG tip make sure you book your return journey in advance. We ate at the Indian restaurant in Midhurst that night, you don't need to just rely on the menu as the staff were more than willing to prepare you something you wanted, again the food quality was excellent. The hotel is on the main road through Midhurst so although lovely, we had a room at the front of the hotel and the road was busy during the night, farmers waking up early to drive their tractors through town. The Angel was an excellent location but you need to be aware of the main road so you are prepared, we would happily go back again another time without any hesitation. The next day at the Angel we had an enormous breakfast of the finest quality, and we headed off to Bosham...if you head off that way then do not miss this harbour-like village.

Room Tip: A wonderful hotel to explore the location, WOW
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnSarah1066

dear johnsarah

Thank you so much for your recent review of the angel hotel.
I am so pleased that you had such a lovely stay with us and enjoyed all aspects of our offering, the rooms, the meals in our superb resturant and our wonderful quality breakfast which has just been awarded the kelloggs breakfast award for outstanding quality by visit britain.

Thank you again for all your positive feedback, we really look forward to welcoming you back to the angel on your next visit.
Kind regards

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at the Angel the night before our daughter's wedding. This is an old building of charm and character.All the rooms are different, individually furnished in traditional style and offer old fashioned comfort. We were a large group ranging in age from 3 months to 88 years, and the staff went out of their way to accommodate our different needs.
The restaurant menu offers a wide choice, and although service was a little slow, the food was good. Breakfast the next morning was firstclass - set us up well for the exciting day ahead.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and were one of the main reasons our stay went as well as it did.
We were only at the Angel for one night, but if I ever visit Midhurst again I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan P
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I surprised my wife with a night at The Angel Hotel in Midhurst. We received a genuine, warm welcome from Richard, the General Manager who showed us to our beautiful 'Premier Room'. I stay in lots of hotels with my work and I was delighted that the hotel and the room actually exceeded my expectations, often they look good on the website but let you down when you get there, but not here. The room was lovely and clean, with tasteful furnishings and decor, they've got it right. I'd hired a 1964 mini Cooper S from vanillaclassics.com and I was pleased to find a fairly large car park and Richard actually took the time to come out and have a look. The hotel itself is full of character, the building is beautiful and the breakfast was exceptionally good served by courteous, attentive staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seventiestim
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Dear Seventiestim

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Angel hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed you stay so much, all of our bedrooms have been refurbished to a quality standard.

The hotel team and I are always trying to exceed customer expectations at every opportunity and it is very satisfying for the team when we receive such positive feedback from our guests.

We do work very closely with our local suppliers and we have had great experiences with as did you.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel next time you are in the area.
Many happy returns again for your anniversary, maybe next time you maybe lucky enough to try the E-Type Jaguar, let me know and I will try to sort out a fantastic deal for you and your wife.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Great welcome from hotel manager. Rooms well presented albeit small.
However general cleanliness in hotel not so good. Reception toilets - dirty light switches/ toilet seats had seen better days and 'radox' on side next to empty luxury soap dispenser.

Sticky tables in bar and splash marks on wood panelling where I was sitting (looked like red wine and also sticky!).
No attention to detail.

However, staff extremely cheerful and quite attentive - clearly doing their best to do a good service.
Food a little disappointing - i would expect a 'seafood tempura' to consist of something else other than 2 strips of deep fried salmon and one strip of deep fried cod. White chocolate pot was complete 'news' to waitress and was tasty but a soup consistency.
in summary, it would take little effort to really push this hotel up to the next level. I hope that they manage to do this.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank beccaEsher
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Dear Becca

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Angel, we are always very pleased to hear such positive and constructive comments regarding our hotel facilities and staff.
I have taken your comments on board, we now have introduced gilchrist and soames hand soap and mosturizer into our public facilities and have had the bar repainted and washed down in the last 4 weeks.We have now introduced our new menu along with a new kitchen team headed up by Mr Richard Cook a fantastic chef with lots of flair and passion, Our restaurant hasalso had a facelift and has been relocated to the front of the building, the white table cloths have disappeared and a relaxed dining concept now awaits you on your return.
I agree with you that it will not take us much to push the hotel to the next level and my team and I are doing everything possible to make sure we get there.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel next time you are in the area.
Please call me personally and I will arrange your stay and ensure that the experience is even better than the last time.

Kind regards and thanks again for you review

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed for two nights, as my son was getting married at Cowdray Park and we drove down the night before and stayed the night of the wedding too. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful - even to the point of trying to help me with how to tie a cravat. Having tried to search the Internet for me, without too much success, the manager suggested going to a men's outfitters four doors down from the hotel, where I found similarly brilliant service.

Having read some previous reviews (and I have a tendency to read the bad ones first!) I was panicking when we were told we were in room 9. However, we had asked for a room at the rear of the hotel and were pleasantly surprised by the decor, cleanliness and comfort.

Breakfast was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wings712
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Wings 712

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review about your experience with us for your sons wedding.
We where delighted to be able to look after you for the weekend and I was so pleased that you enjoyed your choice of room 9, it is a lovely room facing the rear of the property with wonderful views of the cowdray ruins from your bathroom, It is certainly decorated and maintained to a high standard as with all our rooms.
I have passed your comments on to the head chef about his wonderful breakfast selection and your general comments to the front of house and housekeepers about the quality of comfort and levels of service you received whilst you were with us.
From our point of view we are in the business of looking after people, and providing the best possible experience we can at all times, we are realistic that we do not always get it right but it is very rewarding for us all when we do.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel hotel again soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 8 June 2011

I do solo trips on regular basis, love exploring quaint new places with just me and my camera. I found myself in Midhurst one Tuesday afternoon as I walked along the path towards Cowdray Ruins I realised I needed more time in this perfect English village. I admired the cows, took loads of pictures and headed up the high street. The first thing I noticed was The Angel and thought it the loveliest name for a hotel. I was greeted with a lovely smile and decided to have a coffee. The General Manager was around and introduced himself, we got chatting and I decided to stay the night. Bags were already packed and the trainers were too. I was offered a £31 discount and bought a bed and breakfast for £99!

BARGAIN!

I was shown to my room and even offered fresh milk for my tea and coffee, nice touch!

Ready to run with a map of the local area provided by the lovely lady at reception. Headed south towards South Pond (makes sense) and ended up doing more back road exploring than running. Midhurst has some hidden treasures. If you love original and handmade head to Midhurst.

Back to my room complimetary water how convinient. Viennese fingers and Chocolate Chips hmmmm which will I have with my tea? I tried both and I was pleasantly surprised they didn't taste like cardboard, tasted just like to the ones I have at home. Flipped through the guest book and the menu was too good to be missed.

Booked a quiet corner table and thought I really needed to catch up with some work. Wireless throughout, love saving data on my dongle!

English muffin and Asparagus to start. Wow, really feeling like I'm having the perfect day in England (I'm not local) then thought I'd untraditionalise it with the Argentinean Steak well worth spoiling the English moment. Perfectly aged and a perfect Medium served with a Béarnaise sauce I really am in heaven. Dessert wasn't even an option but if it had been there was my favourite on offer...

Pavlova. I’ll need to go back for that!

High pressured shower and even higher pressured hair drier. Morning buzzzzz, generally they you more frizz than you began with but not at the Angel. Arrived at breakfast with a perfect halo.

Breakfast was brilliant what a spread for a small hotel the variety was awesome. No hot buffet thank goodness, breakfast cooked to order what a treat.

I sadly waved goodbye to my new friends at The Angel and promised to visit again.

Would I recommend The Angel? You'd be a fool not to try it if you ever visited the area.

Thanks to the whole team for my night in heaven.

PS Where do you buy your pillows?

Room Tip: Book in advance they were pretty busy.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Dear Flying solo

thank you very much for taking the time to give us your most wonderful feedback of your stay with us recently at the Angel hotel.
I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful stay having taken advantage of our late escape rates we offer from time to time when we have some last minute availability.
I have passed your wonderful compliments on to the team who were delighted that yet again all the time and effort we take in creating a home from home atmosphere with a few little touches had been so well appreciated.
Our pillows are to die for and come from a company called mitre furnishings, a goos pillow is an absolute must when you come away.
I do hope that next time you are in the South Downs that you do indeed look us up again and enjoy our welcoming, comfortable and personal hospitality.
I wish you well on your travels
Until next time

Richard Macadam and all the team at the Angel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
0.3 km away
17.6 km away
Hilton Avisford Park
Hilton Avisford Park
#5 of 7 in Arundel

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!