WilloughVale Inn and Cottages
Pine Crest Motel and Cabins(Barton)(Great Value!)
US$85
Burke Mountain Hotel & Conference Center(East Burke)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$116
Colonnade Inn(Lyndonville)
US$99
Fairbanks Inn(Saint Johnsbury)
US$199
Jay Peak Resort(Jay)(Great Value!)
US$119
Groupon.com
All reviewslake willoughbycontinental breakfastcourtyard roomoff seasonrobert frostnortheast kingdomgas fireplaceview of the lakebar and grillloon roomwinter monthsnew chefgorgeous spotkeurig coffee makerbeautiful sceneryget awaynorthern vermont
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I are new empty nesters and the Christmas Spirit was sadly lacking in our newly empty home. For the first time in 30 years of married life, I didn't put up a Christmas tree! We made the decision to 'go away' and I contacted the WilloughVale Inn & Cottages through the Trip Advisor website. We know the area very well, Lake Willoughby being one of our absolute favorite destinations, however we had never had the good fortune to stay on this incredible property.
The Trip Advisor site listed the cottage availablity as open for the month of December, so I started making plans. Unfortunately, I heard back from the Inn a few days after our inquiry through the TA site that the cottages were completely booked for the Christmas week. Such utter disappointment. The Innkeepers had no idea that the Trip Advisor site was so out of date and were looking into it. However, we were put on the top of the "Santa List" in case the unthinkable happened and someone cancelled.
One week before Christmas, and after we had given up our travel plans altogether, I got a call from an angel named Theresa, from the WilloughVale Inn. She felt so bad for us, that she gave up "her own living quarters" to accomodate our wish to stay in one of the cottages during Christmas week. How awesome is that!!! Needless to say, I sailed into action, making my list and checking it twice to be sure we had everything ready for checking in on Christmas Eve.
Upon arrival we were greeted in person by this Christmas Angel and I knew right away this was going to be a great week.
We are staying in the Songadeewin Cottage (Songa for short) and could NOT be happier. We have an unobstructed view of one of Vermont's most beautiful lakes from a perfectly designed wall of glass. (My camera was set on the tripod in front of the sliders the instant we got here and hasn't moved since!) It snowed the entire day and into the night and next morning (yes, I am humming "White Christmas") so Christmas day dawned white, cold, and stunning.
Did I mention I hung our stockings with care and even set up a little Christmas tree? Oh yeah, it's perfect!
The gas woodstove is the perfect compliment to a roomy and comfortable living area; the kitchen is nicely set up for intimate meals so of course we took advantage and had one. Christmas breakfast by firelight (even with no kiddies around, up at 5am on Christmas just felt right) is highly recommended!
We are currently on day 3 of our week and could not be more relaxed. We have family in the area so visiting and inviting them to our Christmas cottage is so wonderful. Tonight, we are making dinner for 6 and while I may have to borrow a thing or two to compensate for the added couple, I am so looking forward to entertaining in this lovely and most comfortable place.
Although our week is not nearly over, I couldn't wait to review for all of you...this is absolutely a 'destination' vacation spot, summer/fall/winter does not matter. I will add another review at the end of the week with the local attractions we've managed to see and local eateries we tried...so stay tuned.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I live in the city and were in DESPERATE need of a weekend getaway to get our sanity back. After searching everywhere, I chose this inn based on price and the fact that we could stay in a cabin with a jetted tub and fireplace. Let me tell you, this was the best decision I've ever made! The pictures on the website do not do the cabins justice in the least bit! The cabin we stayed in was the Conley and it was gorgeous! The kitchen has everything you'd need and more! It comes with pots, pans, and all sorts of silverware and stuff as well as the fact that it has dark wood flooring and cabinets. The living room was so cozy! we had a giant tv right next to a gas fireplace that kept in perfectly toasty all night. the furniture is made to look like it's made of wood but it's super comfy! And the view of the lake from our giant glass door was breath-taking. We sat and had breakfast there every morning! The master bedroom has a super comfy queen bed with ANOTHER glass door to the deck with the same breath-taking view. It also had a television and an in-room jetted tub. We could comfortably both fit in the tub at it was super relaxing after our long day of travel. We went during the quiet season so it was pretty affordable and very very quiet so we didn't get any traffic noise or interruptions. Overall, this was the most relaxing and peaceful weekend away I have ever taken and we will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: choose a cabin, the extra privacy and space costs almost the same as a room in the inn!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I visited the WilloughVale Inn for the first time this past weekend. My boyfriend and I took advantage of the 'off-season' rates & stayed in The Birches, one of the waterfront cottages. From the outside, The Birches looks like your typical lake front cottage. However, once we opened the door - we felt like we were staying in a 5 star hotel. The cottage has been completely renovated & was impeccable in terms of cleanliness, linens, etc. Because we arrived after dark we couldn't see the view, but when we woke up in the morning - WOW! Lake Willoughby is by far one of the most scenic lakes we have ever visited. In the morning, we made our way to the Inn where we enjoyed a complimentary continental breakfast. We also met Theresa, one of the Inn-keepers, who couldn't have been nicer. We would definitely visit the WilloughVale Inn again & we are already planning a ski weekend this winter w/ another couple!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The Willoughvale Inn is a diamond in the rough!! I found this Inn online for our quick trip to Vermont and fell in love! I wish we could have stayed longer. The "twilight" cottage was great, all the comforts and convienieces of home except with an unforgettable view of Lake Willoughby and its surrounding mountains. The staff was very helpful and welcoming. Very family friendly!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Of course most places never live up to the photos. This one does not either. Both the main building and the cottages on the lake are very close to highway 5A. Traffic noise. Came for the leaf peeping season. The restaurant and pub were closed for the season. So had to drive to other areas as there was no other restaurant close. However, the cottage did have cooking facilities. Breakfast? What a joke. Toast or bagel, cold cereal and only scrambled eggs which were cold. The same every day. Not exactly a B&B breakfast as advertised.

The cottage was very clean and well kept. However could use more light in the living area and the bedrooms. The room staff was most helpful and courteous in getting more towels, dishwashing detergent and picking up trash etc. dayly.

Our friends travel to Vermont almost yearly and have stayed in various inns. Previous stays have always been very positive. And have stayed a second or third time. We will not be returning to the Willoughvale Inn. It is overpriced and not up to average plus standards in their offerings. Try the Wildflower Inn in the same area. Much better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends