“not my cup of tea :(”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Horley
northern ireland
“not my cup of tea :(”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

old fashioned in apperance, booked a double room way back in nov11 and after we paid on arrival was told only twin room available, it was 1am in the morn so not much choice but to stay there,,,,,, no heating on, and as we just retd from sun holiday we were freezing. Bed room small and bed clothes hardly matching, tea cup looked like they came from a car boot sale..... staff were just ok,,,, breakfast was a bit rough,,,food was half cooked and dining area needed updated......only thing was that we did avail of was the taxis offered but again had to pay for them.... not really my cup of tea this hotel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank broxi08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The hotel was very average, but we chose it on price, and you probably get what you pay for! We asked for a double bedded room, and were given a double bedded room which also had a pair of bunk beds in the room as well. This made the room vastly overcrowded, with not much room to move about. The room was too hot for us, and there seemed to be no way whereby we control the heating, as the radiator was nonadjustable. Breakfast was decidedly average but there were too few staff on duty and it was rather chaotic with delays, which is not helpful at a hotel serving airport passengers. There were tables with dirty crockery etc, and nobody available to clear and clean the tables.We had booked at a B&B rate, but for those booking a room only, breakfast was charged at £7.50 per person, and there was no way it was worth that. There was no information pack about the hotel and its facilities in the room. The collection from the Airport information we were given in an E-mail before arriving was inaccurate. Also potential guests should bear in mind that there is a £6 airport transfer fee per room for each journey, and some hotels and B&Bs include these fess in the B&B rate. We would not be inclined to stay here again unless really pushed.

Room Tip: Can give no advice in this respect.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M G
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I stayed here on the 1st December as I had a meeting in London before flying to the US.

The location is convient for Gatwick and the £6 each way per room transfer charge reasonable however why don't they add £10 to the room price and give free transfers. The hotel is not up to scratch, the staff who I assume are the owners are very miserable. The breakfast was adequate but not worth the money. The home made curry however was excellent.

I got annoyed with the transfer to the airport I had booked for 09:30 and told that I had missed it but the next one was at 10:00 - however there was no 10:00 transfer but one for 10:30 which did allow Mr Temper to blow off a little steam.

Not bad value for money - but I shall not be going back there as there are other hotels who are prepared to MAKE A BIT OF EFFORT...... Alex Politzi please go and visit!!!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank X11RAJ
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I guess you get what you pay for! We waited over half an hour for pick up from the airport and the hotel is less than 5 minutes drive, all we got was a mumbled half apology from the driver and when we got to the hotel no apology from the desk or even a smile hello. As previous people have said not friendly, no real welcome. Rooms very small and dated, noisy as next to very busy road, one bedside light didn't work, shower room so tiny you have to move into the bedroom to dry yourself. Ceiling had nasty dirty water marks on it, paintwork chipped, gap in carpet at side of bed is dangerous if you catch your foot getting up in the dark, some of the grout in shower was a dirty pink and there was a funny musty smell in the corridors. Next morning the transfer van was late and the lady on reception made a point of not looking or smiling or saying good morning to anyone. Can't believe this has an AA grade and no way is it 3 star. Overall not a pleasant stay. Wouldn't recommend this place at all, in fact I'd rather try and sleep at the airport!

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here for two nights whilst working in the area, and will not be staying there again.
The welcome if you can call it that was unfriendly and they were not really interested in showing me where my room was located, just pointed down the corridor and told its upstairs.
When I eventually found my room the door handle was loose and the lock worn, I stepped inside and it was like stepping back in time, dated furniture made from Contiboard (yes the sticker was still on it).
I noticed the hotel was warm but my room was like a fridge the heat stopped at the doorway, so I checked the radiator and found it to be cold and no means of turning it on as the control caps were missing.(thankfully I keep an adjustable spanner in the car so managed to rectify that problem quickly)
The windows didn't seal properly so you were able to hear all the cars go up and down the road all night so not a lot of sleep either.
The bed was small so my feet were dangling off the end but then again I am 6ft 3, the bedside lights were fun one had no bulb and the others electrical lead was two different colours spliced with insulating tape. The clock radio was plugged in but was not working.
The bathroom was grotty and needed a thorough cleaning, as for the shower that was challenging, a small cubicle that when you stepped into you couldn't shut the door and turn the shower on as the tap stuck out also my shoulders were touching the side walls so was unable to shower.
A rather small television was mounted up on the wall at the foot of the bed that was not tuned in so the picture was of poor quality.
When I checked in I was asked what time I would like breakfast in the morning, so asked for an 07:00 sitting. In the morning I arrived at 07:00 and there was nobody around so had to wait 15mins before my order was taken, when breakfast arrived it consisted of a sausage, bacon rasher, fried egg and a spoonful of beans all was cold and unpleasant.
So now the positive, you are able to get a take away meal from a local source and use the restaurant facilities to eat it, they are more than happy to clear up behind you.
People do yourself a favour and pay a bit extra and don't chance this place no matter how cheap it seems it is not worth it.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I booked a night to stay after a rather tiring Trans Atlantic flight. I also booked a night ahead of time for my return trip. I am at a loss for words, ALMOST...I was shuttled at Gatwick Airport and conversation of any kind was out of the question. Surly or indifferent, don't know...Absolutely horrific lobby and dirty looking dining room, the bar/lounge was their kiddies playground- then...onto the room. A bed that I slept on still dressed, a paltry sink in the room, a bathroom containing a toilet and a shower stall (SO SMALL) is Twiggy still with us? The glass door of the shower stall had a huge crack in it and I was afraid step into it without my "Wellies" on. The keys were old skelton keys which barely worked and the long hallways had the type of lights that only came on [very slowly] if movement was detected. Creepy...Dark all the time. Super fun trying to see the lock to put the key in. The telephones in the room did not work and the pay telephone near the lobby was out of order. I had a very early flight to Greece so I had a "sponge bath" using the sink in the room. I slept for a couple of hours with the door locked, a chair against the door and the TV on. I honestly couldn't wait to get out of there! What a dreadful ordeal, I cancelled my return reservation with a long distance call from Greece. I hope this review will spare you a similar fate.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Julia S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

room was fairly small but perfectly clean .given upstairs room as requested.paid £6 each way for transfer which worked very well .were very impressed with the service and would use again

Room Tip: higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pingpong3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
1.2 km away
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
1.8 km away
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport

Been to Gatwick White House Hotel? Share your experiences!