“Wedding Venue”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Having held our wedding ceremony and reception at the Golden Lion Hotel ( 24/03/2012 ) we felt compelled to leave a review to encourage others, so that they too could enjoy the experience we just have. It is hard to know where to begin with this exceptional venue. From the moment we arrived and were introduced to Harold ( the manager ) we knew we had found the perfect place. The hotel itself is stunning and steeped in history, and the professionalism and courtesy of the staff is unquestionable. We really felt as though everyone involved could not do enough for us from the planning stages right through to what we felt was the perfect day.
The food during our meal was amazing and the evening buffet was out of this world, drawing comments from all our guests.
We reserve a special mention for June Wannan, who took care of us from the start and really made us feel anything we asked for could be made possible. June really is a credit to the Golden Lion and we feel she went above and beyond and definately exceeded our expectations.
If you are looking for a wedding venue or even a place to enjoy a beautiful meal and perhaps stay the night, please go along and see for yourself. I know for sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Reception staff will ensure you are very happy whichever room you choose.
1  Thank Mark R
There are newer reviews for Golden Lion Hotel

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was leader for a line dance group of 95 guests staying at The Golden Lion on March 9th & 10th 2012. Follow the directions on the website and you wont have a problem. The car park could do with resurfacing bit it is secure with a bollard on entry/exit.
The public areas within the hotel have recently been refurbished and are pleasant, clean and very welcoming. The function room is lovely if overly warm - think the management could invest in a few more large electric fans.
With my group being 95 strong we had all different types of rooms - twins, doubles, singles, some rooms with sofa beds too - all were of a good size, clean and comfortable. There was a issue with the plumbing in a couple of rooms regarding a shower and sink taps - both rooms were next to each other on the 3rd floor so could be connected?? As for a view some rooms (the higher ones) had a lovely view of the hills but mainly there isn't a view worth mentioning from the other rooms. Given the hotel's central location this is to be expected and didn't make a difference to any of us.

The food was, in a word, amazing!! My whole group was served dinner at the same time - great selection of foods on the menu and all food was served hot and well presented. I personally didn't make it to breakfast but I've been told there was a great selection of hot food plus cereals & juices too. (and with the central location you're within a short walk of the legendary Stirling Castle - and an indoor shopping centre too!!)

The most memorable aspect of the hotel for me was the staff - from the management down to the staff on reception, the bar staff, and the waiting staff, they were all attentive, friendly, helpful and coudn't do enough for my group. Nothing was a chore and any extras I required over the course of the weekend were provided straight away and with a smile. They are certainly a credit to the hotel.
I've already booked the whole hotel for a weekend again next year and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Golden Lion

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Willie B
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I got a deal for bed, breakfast and dinner at this hotel. I had no complaints. There was free parking. Okay the car park could do with the pot holes filled in. The location is right in the centre. The room was very spacious. The dinner was excellent. We could have swapped for something of the al a carte menu but the set menu was delicious! The breakfast was really good too and catered for everyone. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This hotel was right in middle of town, in a one way system (so look out for car park way round the block before the entrance). My room, which was a lovely room with everything you need, comfy bed, nice toiletries, was unfortunately situated at the front, so I got no sleep due to taxis, rowdy folk, bin lorries, church bells etc all through the night. The staff were lovely and helpful, which brought my rating up to average, so you can guess how grumpy I felt after no sleep.

Room Tip: dont take a room at the front of the hotel if you want to get any sleep
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We used this hotel for a quick overnight stop-off. My better-half had booked it and told me on the way that 'oh its about £20 cheaper than the Premier Inn'. The inner-snob within we expected a hovel at that point.

Arriving the car park was tough to find as it is essentially on the high street. The building looks really rough from the back too. However as soon as we walked in the clouds lifted. The lobby was really nice, the staff were really friendly.

On entering the room again, very pleased, a nice size, lovely bed and a great night's sleep.

For the room we paid £50 which included a buffet breakfast and free car parking. This is great value indeed.

Certainly the hotel isn't all refinements, there was no TV remote, and I could pick holes in other aspects but overall we were blown away by the value of the stay.

There is a bar at this hotel, I'd recommend it, it has feel of a genuine small pub and is linked to the restaurant.

Breakfast was amazing, a massive range of food. If you like your cooked breakfasts you will be in your element here.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We have now had 2 weekends in Scotland over the last 6 months and i can not fault this hotel. The staff are always very warm and friendly and make you feel very welcome and the accomadation is very comfortable. I slept better in their beds than i do in my own. The breakfast was amazing. So much choice. I did intend to go healthy and stick to cereal and fruit but the cooked breakfast looked so good neither myself or my other half could resist. A big thank you to all the staff for a lovely stay.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

was very disapointed that i could not get a drink after 11 o clock when checking in nobody said you had to have a card swipped to get drink after 11 o clock we took our daughter away for the weekend as it was her birthday better off if we stayed at home

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family