“Excellent location, helpful staff”

Stirling Youth Hostel
Waterloo, Canada
“Excellent location, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We drove into Stirling and this hostel is very easy to find. It's in an excellent location, about a 7 min walk to the Stirling castle and the surrounding sites, and between 5-10 min walk to the downtown area with all the bars and restaurants.
There is parking on premises but not very many spots, but we were lucky to have arrived when there were lots of spots available. The staff were very helpful and friendly. There is also internet that you can pay to use. Can't remember if there is wi-fi. We paid 48 pounds for a double twin room with en-suite bathroom. It was very simple, the beds were not the most comfortable, with quite thin mattresses, but for the price for two people was quite reasonable, so not much to complain about. We also only spent one night here, so maybe for longer stays it may not be ideal. However, we are not fussy travelers, so maybe the fact that the room was quite simple would bother some people. We had everything we needed, the location was superb and the room was clean. I would recommend this to others that are just looking for a clean and cheap place to stay that is close to all the attractions of Stirling.
One thing to mention is that apparently in Stirling during the week restaurants don't stay open for very long, we had a hard time to finding a place for dinner past 8 p.m.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travel_Bug81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Stirling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Just as it should be. The hostel was clean and very well priced. Location is superb the staff are very helpfull. Only bad thing is that the carpark is very small only 6 spaces then its off site parking on the locsl streets.

• Stayed July 2011
Newtonmore, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We paid £48 for a twin en-suite room which, on booking, seemed a reasonable price; comparable with, for example, a Travelodge. The room was small with only one, very high, velux window which was filthy, suggesting that it hadn’t been cleaned for a very long time. One of the beds squeaked so loudly with the slightest movement that we ended up moving the mattress to the floor to get some peace & quiet. To be fair, when we mentioned this in the morning we were told that we could have had a different room if we'd mentioned it the night before. The position of the mattress didn’t matter as there were no reading lights. The only electricity sockets in the room are blocked by a bed, so we had to pull the bed away from the wall to charge our phones. The water from the only tap in the room was ‘not drinking water’ which seemed a bit odd; should we have brought bottled water to use when cleaning our teeth? On the plus side the shower was excellent, even if the extractor fan was so bunged up with grease and fluff that it didn’t work (same in the toilet). The walls seem to be paper thin; we could hear someone close by coughing then snoring as we settled down to sleep. Despite this, we both slept very soundly; either the snorer stopped or we were so tired we blocked it out. We were glad that it was a quiet night with only 30+ visitors instead of the 80 or so they were expecting the next night. I enjoyed my continental breakfast and felt that it was good value. My wife used the kitchen and found it to be clean and well equipped. The hostel is very close to the castle and we were pleased to be allowed to leave our car in their grounds until early afternoon while we visited the castle. All of the staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful.
Would we go back? Probably not, there is almost certainly better value accommodation in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank petemain

Travellers are raving about these Stirling hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Absolutely zip special about this SYHA. It's basic fare, does the job. Yawns of complete non descript-ness. Such a hard one to rate because there is just so little that stands out about this hostel any which way. It's not great, it's not bad, it's just a hostel. You will get a decent room, there are decent facilities, the staff are OK, if not a little reserved and less than anxious to greet you and make you welcome. Just a bit of a tad boring hostel. Pretty much like the rest of the city really.
It doesn't happen in Stirling. My friend and I stayed here for a night on our way through to the south and after walking the street to find a decent pub - the best of which was an Aussie pub believe it or not - we were eventually scared back to the hostel by two vampyres lurking in an Irish pub down town - long story. I only wish there was a 2.5 star rating because that's what this hostel is. I was generous and rounded up.
But the hostel is as described - basic fare.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JudeDudes
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

The first hostel i booked in Stirling! Although at first, the service was okay, the prices were very high, the location was 10 minutes from the centre approximately, the hostel was noisy, and in case you are late(if you arrive after 2a.m) you are not able to get in (even if the staff has assured you that they stay up until 2a.m) and won't be able to get a refund(not even a partial). Definetely not recommended to anyone! If you are about to book a hostel in Stirling Willy Wallace should be your first choice!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank btnox
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

the hotel is next to a graveyard and a jail, the rooms are tiny and the sheets are not properly cleaned, the beds are not comfortable and have very thin matresses, the shower is just a curtain and there is no door, the door handle for the entrance of our room fell off and the food wasn't very good.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank yirmam
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

I arrived mid-morning as I drove straight here from Edinburgh airport where I had just flown in from Australia. Hostel was very easy to find, no problem at all with parking in the carpark.

Although too early to check in I was able to change into fresh clothes in the communal toilets and freshen up a little.

I stayed in a twin room. My room had no covering over the sky light which was a tad annoying but I brought an eye mask with me so I just used that. The shower in the room wasn't great, low pressure and water everywhere as the flimsy curtain didn't do much. Could have done with a good scrub too. Unlike another poster below, I did have an electrical socket in my room and so was able to charge up my phone and use my hair dryer.

The hostel was very very quiet when I was there, I saw a few people when I had dinner and breakfast but otherwise there weren't many people around.

I'm a big fan of SHYAs and this one didn't disappoint. Did lack character though but I think all city hostels do.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo