“What a pleasant surprise! Great stay, Lovely Hotel. Can't wait to come back”

Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Reviewed 8 December 2015

I am not sure how this hotel is only rated a 3 star. In my opinion 4 star would be a fairer reflection. I stayed for 1 night and the hotel was busy all day with Christmas functions. Despite all the activity, the service was impeccable throughout my stay.

I found my room to be tastefully decorated and the double bed was comfortable with a touch of luxury from the high quality bedding. The room (10) was spacious and warm. It was elegant rather than modern, but definitely not tired as per some other user comments.

From a business perspective the writing desk and strong fast wifi connection assisted me in my work and was fast enough to watch Netflix before bed. I was on business in Teesport and found all the hotels in the vicinity to be fully booked. From the map view this hotel appeared further from Teesport than i would have preferred.I shouldn't have worried, because this hotel is close to the A19 (5 mins), so the rural location was not an issue.

My favourite part was having dinner in the restaurant. I loved the period decor of the dining room. The service provided by the waitresses and bar staff was of top order and best of all, the food and wine were fantastic.

I have spent over 150 nights in hotels this year, on all continents. This stay is definitely in my top 3 of 2015 and I intend to be bring my wife and baby for a weekend break in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Scots_tourists

Reviewed 29 November 2015

What a wonderful hotel set in idyllic and peaceful grounds. The hotel has a lovely ambience and décor. The customer service is excellent and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. The breakfast is brilliant. I would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: The best room has a four poster bed.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2015 via mobile

Stayed over on Friday for a joint birthday night away.. Couldn't have been better! Was met at the lovely grounds by friendly staff and the room was great! Great room with a fantastic bathroom! Huge walk in shower and a big free standing bath.

As part of a deal we dined at the Rib Room. It was even better than the one at the Ramside with a fantastic maitre d who made the experience even more enjoyable. He questioned the visit and when we advised about the birthday experience, within minutes one of his staff brought us champagne free of charge for the occasion.. Fantastic gesture!

Decided upon breakfast in bed(virgin on this matter) the following morning which was also lovely and very reasonably priced.

Overall I'd thoroughly recommend Hardwicke and will undoubtedly be returning. Thank you for a pleasurable experience.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2015

I travel a fair amount on business and try to avoid the hotel chains if I can , this little country retreat was just perfect after a 3 hour drive , very pleasant reception on arrival , the room was excellent and although I didnt use the bar or restaurant in the evening ( I was out with clients) the breakfast was excellent , the public areas probably need a bit of TLC but overall I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

This hotel is a far cry from how the website makes it look. Thank goodness I had a voucher and didn't pay full price, because had I of paid full price I would have been more mortified.
We were welcomed by a nice lady on reception upon arrival, who was not quite sure on our booking, despite having it booked in for months. She told us we would be in the double room (that we paid for) and directed us to the room.
Let's start with the decor.... They have clearly tried to modernise parts of the hotel. You had very old stained floral carpets with modern striped wallpaper, that was peeling off in places.
We got to our room and it just got worse from there, lock in the door was very stiff and kept getting stuck.
Bathroom was filthy, skid marks left in the toilet. Pure filth. Cobwebs in the room, damp on ceiling, more peeling wallpaper. Not worth what your paying at all.
Water pressure in the shower was crap. Bedsheets looked dirty. Oh and this "double room" was two very uncomfortable SINGLE beds pushed together. Really not acceptable. Hotel staff were all friendly, but that's the only positive.
At the bar they have an old, scruffy cocktail list ( with the most weird and abnormal cocktails ) we were entitled to two welcome cocktails, so we proceeded to order them both at the same time. We received one, then the bar man was serving people before making our second one. Both cocktails were watered down and tasted foul. Didn't even bother with food there after the drinks disaster. Overall I wouldn't go back, nor would I recommend it to anyone especially not at full price. Plenty of nice hotels that are clean and well presented in Hartlepool, for half the price.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terri1993
hardwicke02, General Manager at Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2015

Hello Terri 1993,

I really am slightly puzzled at this review as if you look at the past 10 reviews OR even further back they are all either 4 stars which is VERY GOOD are 5 stars which is EXCELLENT so this really took me by surprise. But that is certainly by no means for us to be complacent .

I must apologize that the bed you slept in was a King size bed which is in fact you are correct at stating is two Hotel zip and link single beds especially designed for this purpose. ( This means that they can be either a twin bedded room or a King size bedded room, this tends to be standard practice in hotels).

Our cocktail menu has classics such as Tom Collins , and Apple Martinis to Russian Winter punches these are classic drinks some dating back to the 1800's designed by the father of mixology of the day Jerry Thomas. A man who most current mixologist will certainly revere.

Having also checked the room that you slept in I am struggling to find the wallpaper hanging off or damp patches. However I will certainly concede that there is a patch on the wall that is from the steam in the kettle as per your picture. I must apologize for this and I already have instructed maintenance to re paint this wall.

I have also spoken to our Housekeeping staff, bar & restaurant staff along with the Duty Manager to see if there were any complaints on the day that you were here. Strangely there were none. Now if I had such a bad experience I would of certainly pointed this out to someone on duty within the hotel. I really appreciate genuine feedback however on this occasion I do no believe that this is.

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Lovely stately house. Lots of original features. Decor in the rooms although suited to the furniture could do with some modernising. Dinner and breakfast was really nice. Staff were friendly and helpful about local restaurants, things to do etc.

Room Tip: You would have to request a room with the 4 poster bed
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2015

Booked this for a half term with a Groupon deal for B&B plus a family ticket to the nearby Tweddle Children's Farm. It was incredible value and I would have no hesitation in going back, especially as there are many other attractions nearby (eg. Hartlepool Historic Quay, Preston Park Museum, the beaches at Crimdon and Blackhall Rocks).

The hotel is a Georgian manor house with loads of character, including open fires, wood panelling and beams. It was very busy during the day for the lunchtime carvery and afternoon tea, but there were fewer staying guests when we visited in October.

Our spacious family room on the third floor was configured, by request, with two comfortable single beds in each leg of the L-shaped space left by the bathroom (which, uncomfortably, had a glass panelled door). A sofa, table and TV took up the opposite corner with plenty space between it and the beds for the two kids to lay out a play mat. There were several lamps and a dressing table with mirror above. The room was tastefully decorated in white, beige and gold with both blinds and curtains at the two windows which overlooked a side garden to the east (the kids bought compasses at Hartlepool Historic Quay!). There were fluffy bath sheets and hand towels for the four of us.

There's a really good breakfast choice - cereals, fruit, juices, yogurt plus a comprehensive menu of hot food (including kippers) plus smoked salmon and cream cheese with rolls, toast and hot drinks. The servings were plentiful and clearly cooked to order.

We had sandwiches in the cocktail bar (recommend the £6.95 cocktails) on the first evening but dined out the second night as the restaurant menu started at £17.95 for two courses. The bar was busy with dinner guests from the locality.

Staff were friendly and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartlepool
13.8 km away
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
14.7 km away
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!