“Afternoon tea with Groupon deal”

Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 242 Restaurants in Hartlepool
Price range: US$7 - US$100
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2018 via mobile

The place is a lovely old house, and we had our afternoon tea in the "bistrot" room. The sparkling wine (included in our deal) was served promptly once we were seated, followed quickly by the food. Everything looked home-made and was tasting nice, but I'd have loved to have my scones re-warmed a bit, and they were served with whipped cream (I much prefer proper clotted cream). Overall good but nothing fancy, I'm glad we tried it with a Groupon since I'd have felt a bit disappointed if I had paid full price.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Had sparkling afternoon tea which was beautiful! No waiting about, straight in and served immediately. Very tasty treats - all fresh. Sparkling alcoholic drink was light and very enjoyable. Also, given Tea/coffee to go with it. Very happy! Would recommend this to anyone considering it!

1  Thank Haymc84
Reviewed September 20, 2018

Redeemed a Groupon afternoon tea voucher my son bought me. Was annoyed to find he'd paid the same amount on Groupon as if he'd gone direct to the hotel. £50! Thought Groupon did "deals" whereby the customer assumes they're getting something at a cheaper rate? Check your deal first I'd say so you don't get ripped off. I didn't want to say anything though since it was a gift so duly went along aiming to enjoy myself.
To say the afternoon tea was disappointing is an understatement. We were ushered into a small lack lustre room where tables were set with bog standard white tea sets and gaudy yellow paper napkins. We had already been told on booking that tea was between 2:30 and 4:00 and we would have to leave by four because they needed the room. When the cake stand arrived I was amazed at how dull and unappealing it looked. Everything was beige- unimaginative sandwiches (two with crusts on!) rice cake, meringues and eclairs. The only colour was the red of the cheesecake pot and a slice of strawberry on the meringue. The scones were flat, dry and tasteless and were accompanied by runny jam and squirty cream with nowhere near enough for two. I didn't want to say anything because my son was with us but I could see even he was disappointed. Don't usually put negative feedback on places because I know how damning it can be but really if you want an afternoon treat go somewhere else or buy a pack of cakes from the supermarket and put them on a fancy plate! £50 either on Groupon or paying direct is grossly overpriced. Think we would have dispoointed if it had been even half of that.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Babsy49
hardwicke02, General Manager at Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2018

Hello Babsy49,
I am really disappointed that you clearly did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us. The groupon offer that your son had purchased was at a cost of £19 for two people and not £50. Our afternoon tea is a popular event and receives very good feedback ( have a look at the past reviews if you do not believe me). I believe a glass of sparkling wine each along with a selection of sandwiches of Honey roast Ham, Roast Chicken with mayonnaise, Cheese savoury and of course the traditional cucumber sandwiches served at every afternoon tea. Along with a piece of lemon drizzle cake, a chocolate eclair, a fresh fruit meringue and a strawberry cheesecake along with a fruit scone with jam & cream each represents excellent value for money. Our traditional afternoon tea are served on white linen table cloths and white bamboo china. Thank you for your feedback I will of course pass on all your comments to our team and really do hope you visit us again.
Regards
Mark

Reviewed September 18, 2018

The night overall was very enjoyable. The food was very good, particularly given that it is mass catering, but you wouldn't guess from the quality. Plenty of friendly staff kept the food coming. The murder mystery was well done and struck the right balance with humour. The only minor issues were that as a party of 4 on a table of 8 we were serparated until 2 of the other guests rather grugdingly moved - the hotel should reserve group placings - and the bar struggled at busy periods.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 30, 2018

this venue is very good food especially the carvery it is very good just like it should be proper Yorkshire Puddings and the meat is always very tasty, always good service and they go out of there way yo make sure you are looked after would recommend it to everyone go at least once a week, so it shows it must be good,

Date of visit: August 2018