All reviews starfish cafe potato cakes plum chutney friendly hosts view of the bay crab jamaica inn fresh milk visiting bangor eggs benedict northern ireland filter coffee highly recommend a stay home made breakfast room breakfast was amazing home from home
Reviewed September 18, 2017

Such a refreshing change from old fashioned guest houses. Very comfortable room, such friendly staff and the most amazing choice of breakfasts superbly prepared and presented. Beautifully situated at one end of Ballyholme Bay, great for a bracing walk, with some rooms having a panoramic view of the sea (I still loved my room even though it did not have the view!). I cannot wait to have a reason to return.

Room Tip: No lift, which may be an issue for less mobile guests
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

What a little gem we stayed here to attend a nearby wedding we received a warm welcome had a cosy room the breakfast was Fab and all the staff were wonderful
We just loved it
It had a old world charm while still being clean and we'll kept
The munchies left in the bedroom were a nice touch

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2017

Went for breakfast in mid August as it was my partner's birthday and a lovely morning so we could sit at one of the tables outside with the dog and take in the view of Ballyholme beach.

Staff are lovely and the coffee is good. The menu, though not huge, is excellent. Really different and tasty. I used to live in Australia where they have some marvelous fresh and interesting food and the menu here reminds me very much of this. I believe the chef may have trained or spent time in Oz.

The building is Arts and Crafts and the interiors particularly are beautiful.

The only minor gripe and I raised this with the owner (who has a dog) is that they should permit well behaved dogs in one of their 3 rooms. That would make this place pretty much perfect and I would visit in the winter time when walking my dog in the vicinity of Ballyholme beach.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2017 via mobile

I can't believe I've never visited this wee gem. The most wonderful welcome and looked after by the fabulous Frankie and everyone at The Starfish.... this is a must to visit. My Avocado smash on sourdough with a crispy dick egg was amazing. My husband opted for the potato cake, bacon, apple cooked in maple syrup and spicy plum chutney. WOW. What a treat that anyone can try. I have to say the cappuccino was pretty special too. We will be back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2017

Just back from our 11th stay at Cairn Bay Lodge. (August 2017). Absolutely fabulous B&B, Location Perfect, Beautiful Edwarian House. Rooms decorated to a very high standard combining original features with new. Excellent Breakfast and Extensive Menu, also very adaptable if special requirements needed. Chris & Jenny are Fantastic Friendly Hosts. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Looking forward to our next visit....(number 12!).
Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple