“Good food”

Cuisines: British
Description: It is a restaurant in the Nithsdale Hotel in Sanquhar
Description: It is a restaurant in the Nithsdale Hotel in Sanquhar
Reviewed December 18, 2017

I'm gluten free and on first glance it didn't look like there were many options but was then told meals could be adapted - always nice to know your food is being made fresh!

Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

Where to begin, from the outside the place looks fantastic.
Upon entry your met with a cute little dog, who enjoys a good belly rub. The dog was awesome...and that's where the awesomeness stopped.

Empty restaurant at first we thought it was due to low season but now I'm sure it's because they serve reheated cardboard.

We had the combo starter and the pate.

Decent enough starter, can't complain for the price

The mains;

Chicken cardb... Caledonia

Tough chicken wrapped in tough bacon. What an adventure this meal was, they always say food is a journey so I guess this was a journey to the local tip/dump?

The chicken was hard as rocks and was clear it must have been precooked and then heat up for when a customer orders. It was dry, tasteless and very hard to cut/chew. Maybe next time I should ask for a steak knife for my chicken.

Chicken Stroganoff - Edible microwave meal.

Had to go to the toilet during dinner, now I'm a tall guy. Walked through to the toilet to skelp my head off a low edge, there is no "Mind your Head" sign, but there is a sign for "Watch for the Step" I was too busy looking for the non existent step to realise low roof, atleast I'll always remember the place and the souvenir of a big lump on my head I got.

Oh one last thing!

Upon entry we were asked if they could take our jackets, upon leaving we found them just chucked on one of the bar seats?

Hopefully the kitchen staff where just having a bad night, we all have them

Service wise, Sam was amazing and attentive, great guy.

1  Thank Rogan C
Reviewed November 17, 2017

Travel through Sanquhar many times but never really stopped. This time we did and went to the Oasis for a very simple Soup & Sandwich. Soup was home made Cream of Leek, very tasty. Sandwich was a Cheese & Ham, filling was so big the cheese fell out the sides. Now that's a sandwich.
Staff were very nice. Place was spotlessly clean.
Great find on a wet Monday afternoon.

Reviewed July 10, 2017 via mobile

With really no restaurants to choose from one might think the only family one wouldn't have to be that good. The salmon with asparagus, broccoli and carrots were roasted perfectly and mashed potatoes with onions very tasty. We finished with Banoffee pie, delicious.

Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

The restaurant food was delicious. Me and family were staying in the hotel and we ate both nights we were in the hotel. The restaurants menu was varied menu and there was too much to chose from and same on the deserts menu it all sounded delicious. Food was freshly prepared and it was delicious.