All reviews carreg bran britannia bridge full welsh breakfast no lift function room bangor university sunday lunch public areas bit dated evening meal couldn't do enough comfy bed tea coffee lovely weekend warm welcome menai straits lovely location
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst doing the nearby zip line experience.
The reception and dining area are really nice but it stops there. The hallways are well overdue a touch-up and the rooms are no different. We were in the Aslan room.
The rooms are so outdated, wallpaper peeling off the walls and a bathroom untouched for decades. The toilet door doesn’t close or lock and there is no shower except for a hand held one which is useless. When someone flushes a toilet in a room above, it makes an awful loud noise in the room below which woke us up numerous times so pray the people on the upper floors have reasonable bowel movements.
There is a lack of soundproofing between the hallway and the room so you’d be forgiven for thinking passersby are strolling into your room. In general, it’s ok for a night but needs improvement.
Few positives though: the bed is large and comfortable and the room is generally clean.

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel which was really good quality! Nicely cooked and presented but we regularly found dirty cutlery and glasses.
The hotel staff are nice and polite. The bar manager (or whatever he was supposed to be) looked like he’d been dragged through a hedge backwards and pretty much ignored us at the bar. When we did order, it seemed an inconvenience to him.
The surrounding gardens are lovely.

Such a shame, the hotel has so much potential but has been massively neglected and needs a lot of tlc.
It does have character which would appeal to some but not to me.

Top tip: Dogs are allowed here. We know this because the barking in the hallway woke us up at the crack of dawn.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gazza346
Reviewed September 18, 2018

We stayed here overnight whilst dropping our son off at Bangor University, whilst the hotel is on Anglesey, it is very conveniently located for the Uni Halls.
Very easy and pleasant check in & it wasn't a problem that we had arrived in 2 cars, loads of parking space. Reception, restaurant , toilets all quite modern and nicely decorated. However the room was not to the same standard but did have everything we needed & was clean. The en suite is not a Tardis, quite difficult to sit on the toilet comfortably. Shower ran nice & hot & the towels/toiletries provided were great. Bed linen was spotless but could feel every spring in the bed & there was no mattress/pillow protectors. Extra pillows/blankets were present. There was a wedding on whilst we stayed and music was very loud/thumping but stopped 0040 hrs. This room is at the back of the building. We had our evening meal in the restaurant, not sure if there is a problem with overhead lights but it was too dark at our table for us to read the menu, waiter did ask if we wanted more light and brought us a table lamp which solved the problem. Steak & Ale pie & Sirloin steak then ice cream. I think the locally made strawberry ice cream is some of the best I have ever tasted. Continental/cooked breakfast was included , we both had the cooked and it was delicious. Coffee was VERY strong. All the staff were very friendly and good at their jobs. Would we stop here again , based on this room - no.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend room 414
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely the worst hotel I have stayed at in the UK! The shower didn't work at all and there was mould around the bath. There was no remote control for the tv but there was a sign saying that guests would be charged £20 if the remote was missing. I tried to call reception from the room phone but there were no instructions on how to do this so I went down there. I was given 3 remotes, none of which worked so I had no tv for the evening. I went for breakfast just after 7am and was told there would be no hot food until after 7.30am, despite being told upon check in that breakfast was from 7am. The hotel was very dated and could do with decorating. There were also big cobwebs in my room. A very disappointing stay!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2018

So... check-in went ok... all down-hill from there.. we were given a room with a "Lion King" name. It would appear that they are of inferior quality (I use the word "quality" loosely) to the "numbered" rooms. The gap between the floor and the left hand side of the door was about 1 inch... the gap between the floor and the left hand side of the door was a good 2 inches. The screws in the striker plate were loose and able to be tightened or loosened using fingers. The striker plate was hanging off. The décor was untouched from the 80s... fortunately, the 1980s. The TV was more like a mini computer screen and the furniture will soon be featured in Dickinson's Real Deal. In the bathroom, the hot water took quite a few minutes to come through to the room, wasting gallons of water at a time where we are all being urged to save it. The Toilet seat was loose, there was no skirting board and the lino on the floor was in poor condition. As we were only intending to be in the room to sleep as we were going to be out from morning until late evening we couldn't be bothered asking for another room, beside which, we understood that the hotel was pretty much full (for some unknown reason). The promised WIFI did not materialise... what a surprise!.. I bought 2 pints (one lager and one bitter) in the bar and got a few pennies change from £10 … it was difficult to remember I was in Anglesey and not in London when he told me how much they charged. Breakfast was served in the bar area... "continental breakfast(?)"... cereal, toast, jam and tinned peaches.. and/or full Welsh breakfast... overcooked sausage and bacon rasher, hash brown, fried egg, a quartered tinned mushroom, a few beans and half a cremated tomato.
On the first morning during breakfast, my brother-in-law (66 years old and under 13 stone) sat on his chair and ended up flat on the floor, the chair legs having collapsed from under him. The waiter simply brought him a new chair and took away the broken one. No word of apology or question of how badly he was injured. He seemed to be unaware of the need to make an entry in the accident book. We discovered later that he told the owner that there was a broken chair and not how it broke. It was lucky this didn't happen to a senior person as the injuries could have been much more serious.

When we got back to the hotel, late in the evening, we found that the room had not been visited by the chamber maids. The bins had not been emptied, the bed was unmade, the tea/coffee/milk had not been replenished.

Overall then, a bit of a disaster... would we recommend this hotel to a friend? I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy... would I visit there again? Never in a month of Sundays!

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank LnE_Cannock_Staffs
Reviewed September 9, 2018

Room was really outdated, terrible decor. Stayed 2 nights for a local wedding, we got back late on the second night to find the room hadn't even been cleaned. At breakfast the chair in which one of our relatives had sat on completely collapsed sending him flying backwards and hurt his back. The waiter quickly removed the chair but offered no apologies or assistance. Would not go back.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends