“Beautiful Evening”

Friels Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Swatragh
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Friels Bar and Restaurant is currently run by the fourth generation of the Friel family. The bar has been in the family name for over one hundred years. In the public bar you will get a real feel of the old world, with pictures and memorabilia of bygone times. We know how important serving local produce is, and so we are loyal to the nearby farmers who supply our meat and fish for our award winning restaurant. You’ll find Friels beer battered Donegal cod and thick cut gammon steak from the Moores of Lurgan on our menu. Be sure to call in on weekends where local artists perform from 9.30pm. Check out our Facebook and Instagram page ‘Friels Bar and Restaurant’ to see who’s playing.
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

I visited Friels this evening Thursday 6h July 2017 for a meal
I had cod and chips with sides
The food was beautiful and well presented. The staff were friendly and very helpful
The dining room has a good atmosphere and the premises are very welcoming.
I would recommend Friels for a meal at any time.

Reviewed 9 May 2017

We visited this beautiful little hidden gem on Saturday past and had a delightful lunch. I had the beef burger and asked for a few alterations to the burger as it appeared in the menu. The helpful staff were more than willing to accommodate my request. The food was to die for and I couldn't to recommend it enough.

The décor of the restaurant is delightfully old-fashioned and very traditional. Overall a fantastic experience and I will definitely call in again on any future visits to the seaside.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

Sitting in Friels Bar as I write this after a superb serving of food . What a friendly wee place Dermot & his staff go over and beyond to make your dining experience one not to forget . People rant and rave about so called big named restaurants in big towns , believe me this place is as good if not better than most of them , simple food cooked to perfection .Beautiful Sea Bass in coconut sauce & breaded fillet of chicken in a brioche bun stunning !!
People take my advice a wee trip to this gem of a place in Swatragh you won't be disappointed . For service, food, price and a friendly atmosphere "Rafters& Friels Bar ticks all the boxes .......

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Let's say it honestly, we did not have much choice as this area does not offer much to tourists in terms of food. We came here as our host suggested this place and, believe me, we all had one of the best meal we can remember.
I took something like "Meat&Bird", now I do not remember the name, it is basically beef and chicken. Seriously, maybe it was their best day, but simply amazing plate!
My father took a plate where he had two huge pieces of pork... oh my, so tender and delicate, really delicious!
My mother and my wife ordered fish if I remember correctly, and add also side dishes which were perfect for our dinner.
Eventually we managed to speak to a Moroccan guy working there (my French needs some practice) who was telling us that the restaurant is owned by the same family for 4 generation. The blond girl serving at the table is member of this family and she will be able to tell you more about the history of this place.
If you are planning to visit Northern Ireland, consider a stop here for dinner. They have live music on Friday after 9pm, consider to move to the pub after a good dinner.

1  Thank Vincenzo S
Reviewed 16 February 2017

Came here for my nephews christening. Was a lovely set up. The food was really nice got plenty of food. Couldn't move after the dinner which is a good thing hate coming out hungry. Only downside my wee fella loves pool and the pool table is outside and it was so cold. Lol. Pool lovers take a pair of gloves. The staff are very friendly got a warm welcome.