“Ladies that lunch”
Review of The Guinea

The Guinea
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A village local which serves great ales and wines and home made food cooked with Love.
Reviewed October 25, 2018 via mobile

Had a meet up lunch with some friends. A nice impression when you arrive with lovely hanging baskets outside still looking good at this time of the year.inside was light and welcoming too as were the staff.
Menu was extensive and lots of the items were available in smaller portions which is an excellent idea.There should be something to suit most tastes.
I had chilli con carne and a very light jam sponge pudding for dessert. Thought prices were reasonable, would certainly go again.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a quick lunch lol, took ages to get served, my wife had fish and chips which was good and I had the ploughman’s but that was poor, my granddaughter had pasta which was also good.
The place needs to be updated but the food is good when it gets to you lol, worth a visit though and not expensive.

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

I ate here as a group off five on a Tuesday evening to celebrate my birthday . Upon arrival we were shown to a table at the side of the restaurant and were the only five people in there .

Not sure as to why put there as I could see spare tables in the main restaurant . Drinks order taken and the waiting started . Eventually food order taken still no drinks . Were then just left and paid no attention to for 35 minutes until eventually food,turned up.

Food was ok steak and kidney pudding with chips and veg not bad as was the large cod and chips . We were then just left again for 40 minutes and asked if we wanted desert .

Deserts order taken and a drinks order . Another wait off 30 minutes and deserts turned up jam sponge pudding not bad with custard as were the ice creams. Drinks never turned up until I complained about it.

Two courses served in over two hours for me not enough staff serving and in kitchen won't be going back which is shame as been numerous times before and was good .

Reviewed September 20, 2018

I come here quite frequently for food with friends, family and my partner. The food is always delicious and the staff are warm and welcoming.

Reviewed September 13, 2018

Circumstances had prevent us from visiting this establishment for some time and so when we were in the area we dropped in for lunch.

The outside of this pub always looks inviting with the many hanging baskets and tubs of flowers. A colourful display.

The internal decorations have not changed since our previous visit about two years ago but it still claen and tidy.

The menu was similar to that on our previous visits but there were also the ‘blackboard’ suggestions. Without these then it would be a typical pub menu but with these daily offerings it raises the standard. However not all of the ‘blackboard’ specials are that inviting for there does seem to be an emphasis on spices.

My wife chose Ham and Eggs from the menu and I chose the ‘Special’ Fish pie and veg. from the blackboard.

My wife’s meal looked good and she said that it was tasty with reasonably thick cut ham, rather than the supermarket see through slices offered at other establishments.

My fish pie was also tasty but the veg. was disappointing, as I pointed out to the landlady. A small ramekin of peas is not really veg. it is ‘peas!’ Fish pie needs some vegetables to liven the flavour of the pie for every bite of fish pie is usually the same. It was not really 'special' either. It was simply a good fish pie.

When I commented to the landlady about the lack of vegetables she told me that there were leeks in the pie but that did not really impress me, quite the opposite for it meant that there was less fish!

The landlady was very polite and I think that she took my comments with good grace.

We will probably visit again when we are in the area.