“Great fun murder mystery night”

Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and i stayed here for one night 21st April for a murder mystery night. We arrived at 5pm and were given our room on the west wing of the hotel. Room very modern and clean. Our bed looked huge, it was a double bed and a single bed put together, but very comfortable. Small flat screen tv in the corner near window. Bathroom was clean. Only complaint i had with hotel was lack of choices of drinks from the bar. Only dry cider they had was in bottle at £3.20 each (and that was for a half!) Murder mystery night was great (and i wasnt looking forward to it!). Nice hotel to getaway from it all.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ange_boro9
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you for reviewing the murder mystery night you attended at the hotel, I am pleased you enjoyed it! We are in the process of updating the products available on the bar, and I certainly take your comments on board and will look at increasing the cider options. Again, thanks for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We booked a one night stay in a tower suite which had some fabulous features & views however the room was cold (electric heater provided in the bedroom) on arrival which warmed up later in the evening. The furniture was dusty with cobwebs, there was no milk for the tea making facilities and in the bathroom the bath taps could not be reached easily due to the shower screen. Worst of all (due to the wind) the flag pole (on top of the tower) vibrated loudly all night long which was not conducive to a good night's sleep! Sadly not worth the money paid. On the up side the castle had some fabulous features and we would highly recommend the restaurant, food and service was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for the flagpole being noisy. I will ensure our maintenance manager rectifies the problem immediately. We usually offer milk in the room for teas and coffees with an option of fresh organic milk on request, and apologised if on this occasion it did not happen. On a more positive note I am pleased that you found our restaurant , food and service to be excellent.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

The staff were so helpful and friendly, especially Margaret, Cath, Mary, Jean, Gavin and Surinder. Easy to check in and out. Whatever you needed, they got it and quickly. Good food. Some rooms really need a wardrobe, and electric showers in all rooms would be excellent. But it's such a super building, and beautiful grounds. We had 2 big family get togethers (29 one night and 18 another) and they provided a separate room for us each time and served dinner in there - we could make as much noise as we liked then!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather O

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. I will certainly pass on your comments to our team about the service you received. I am pleased you enjoyed your family get together and would like to thank you for choosing Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I had friends visiting from america and as we were going to be in the Darlington area took the chance to stay at a castle. My american friends loved their feature room with its 4 poster bed. I also had a castle room but not a feature room. I think it is worth paying the extra for a castle room as it does feel very special. the room has most things you need(apart from alternatives to tea and coffee). the bed was comfortable and I slept well. The free wifi as always is a nice bonus and worked well in the room. my mobile phone though only worked near the window but this is due to the thick castle walls.

Breakfast was the usual cold buffet with a choice of hot options. I had the scrambled egg with smoked salmon on a muffin. I was a little surprised that the smoked salmon wasn't mixed with the scrambled egg but just placed on top of it.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience and my american friends certainly enjoyed their experience of English history.

Room Tip: go for a castle room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

I am pleased that both you and your American friends enjoyed staying in the Castle. There is so much history at the hotel as it dates back to 1189! I am pleased you had an enjoyable nights sleep and that you enjoyed the free wifi! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed for one night on business. Room in annex quite small but perfectly adequate and decor of a good standard. Good nights sleep. Colleague had wet paint in room, but another was found for him quickly and free drink offered. Good steak and chips in bar. Breakfast in main dining room was of very good standard. Efficient checkout. Everything you need for an overnight stay.

Stayed: March 2012

I am pleased you enjoyed your overnight stay in the west wing, and look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in the area. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Family of three we popped in over the weekend to see about the carvery we had been advised about. Living locally we walked and on the approach it was quite impressive to see. On walking up we decided to follow others and go to the back of the building towards the outside seating and child’s play area. We went through the back to the right towards the first bar. Within a nano second of stepping foot inside the building we were pounced on by a large lady who demanded to know who we were, if we had a table booked, if we were eating, what we might eat and then looked us up and down. I felt very uncomfortable. Before I could explain we were considering lunch but wanted to have a drink first I had three sets of cutlery thrust in my hand! Slightly bewildered we waited at the bar for 15 mins before we got served. There seemed to be only one young man behind the bar (very inexperienced and incredibly slow) who when he eventually served us could not pull a pint to save his life. Having faced rudeness then slow service we were then charged £6.70 for one pint of Kronenbourg, an orange and water and a soda water.
We eventually got seated outside to find the table dirty and unkempt. We had our rather expensive drinks and decided to leave.
The only aspect which made the hour and a half walk out there worthwhile was the weather and they had no control over that. The building/scenery of course was nice but our experience was off putting. If you have a lot of money to waste and don’t mind being treated like cattle then this could be for you, we did not feel relaxed or welcome.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FinnyF
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sincerely sorry that you didn't enjoy your time at our hotel. We try and ensure that a member of staff is there to greet you as our carvery can get very busy at weekends, and you would be directed to the vacant tables rather than you trying to find one for yourself. I just feel its a shame that you didn't express your concerns at the time to the management on duty rather than venting frustration on trip advisor especially when you live so local.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just come back from a wonderful weekend with friends at Walworth Castle Hotel. Good food, good staff, especially Mary on reception - very cheerful, helpful and informative, interesting castle. One of our friends is walking with crutches and found his room a little small to negotiate so he and his wife were instantly moved to a very nice suite next door. Our room, forget the name, but No 25, a castle room, was comfortable, but they missed an opportunity to take advantage of the castle ambience and furnished and decorated it in a contemporary style. Have stayed at the castle before and would stay again.

Room Tip: If you're not satisfied with your room tell the staff and they might be able to move you to anot...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I will pass your comments onto Mary and would look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
4.4 km away
7.2 km away
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
7.1 km away
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!