“An excellent eating out experience”
Review of Masala Dabbas

Masala Dabbas
Ranked #4 of 166 Restaurants in Orpington
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Description: Restaurant focusing on authentic Regional Indian cuisine, also offering popular foods from the Indian High Street - The 'Indian' as Indians know it.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I with my family visited masala dabbas a high street restaurant in orpingtoUK. We were greeted by a staffer with a welcome smile into the restaurant.i felt royal! We were 4 with two small kids. We were offered a very cozy six seater table
and were seated comfortably.
I am a pure vegetarian and hesitantly i opened the menu card. To my pleasant surprise i found a number of vegetarian dishes making my selection difficult. The starters left me mesmerised; the broccoli bajji and the masala chai are just the perfecto!
The idly we ordered was on the table within a few mins and piping hot idlys with coconut chutney and sambar took me to back home, Hyderabad without my knowledge. They were so tasty and even before we finished them we ordered dosa, which again is of awesome standard.
And then we went through the Main course and we enjoyed every bit/bite of our lunch thoroughly.
We ordered missi roti for My grandson and requested the chef not to use any dairy product with that ( my grand son is 15 month old and is highly allegetic to dairy and nuts) And with a warm smile the staffer brought the missi roti fie the baby.
And we met a gujarati family who came there to celebrate the old mothers birthday. Ghougj we r not a part of that family we too participated on the cake cutting and sang birthday song for the ild lady along with their family and friends. The family was presented with a birthday cake and a family picture by the restaurant management which was appreciated a lot. I can never forget the reaction of the (birthday ) lady who was overwhelmed.
I would definitely visit the place next when i go to London.

A true family restaurant!

Lata G, Partner at Masala Dabbas, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Thank you for your detailed feedback and we are delighted to note you had an enjoyable experience with you family including a toddler.
Being vegetarians ourselves we understand the lack of vegetarian dishes in most restaurants in this part of the world.
We are also sensitive to the special dietary needs of our customers and ensure to do the needful
We look forward to welcoming you back to both England and Masala Dabbas

Reviewed April 3, 2018

This is clearly not a child friendly place as one of the (perceived) owners has a chip on his shoulder. On a positive the food quality is very good esp the samosa although the kebab if lacking a little in taste. However much of it is overpriced. The liquid explosion (pani puri) was poor and the main courses are not to my liking although this just maybe my personal taste.

There have been incidents though with one of the owners and that what I will speak of now. Despite clearly asking for 5 adults and a baby high chair the owner decided that a high chair was not possible. This was strange - it was 5.30pm on a Sunday and there was no one else there. He then said they don't allow high chairs. This was comical as he was almost stood next to a few of them! He the argued for the next 10mins before another owners son came over and was much more professional. A high chair was eventually supplied and the son was much better. To be honest we should have just left but my mother was in town and wanted South Indian food. My advise - go and try yourself but be aware the food is over priced and one of owners need some serious training.

I would recommend Tamasha in Bromley over this. More authentic, fantastic service and better flavours of the food. Bit more expensive but last time I was able to use the taste card and it feels like it is worth it for the experience.

MasalaDabbas, Owner at Masala Dabbas, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Hi,

I am the owner of Masala Dabbas and just saw the review on Trip Advisor.

At the outset let me say that I am sorry that you felt that the restaurant was not welcoming to children - we strive our utmost to serve our customers, including the tiny ones, well and we should not fall below the standards we have set ourselves. We do not have a problem with providing high chairs for children if they are available and can think of no circumstances under which we would have created a fuss, especially if the restaurant, as you mention, was empty.

Having investigated, we are unable to place you or recall this incident, as we had no reservations in your name in the past month nor did we have walk ins for the number of people you mention in your review. I personally was not at the restaurant on the previous 3 Sundays and I have also spoken to the other members of my management team who also are unable to recall this incident. There also seem to be a few factual errors in your review - we open the restaurant only at 6PM in the evenings unless there is a booking prior to that time. The earliest booking we take on any day is at 5.45 pm. So not sure if you got the timing right. Further, we are certain that the day couldn't have been a Sunday as the son of the owner doesn't work here on Sundays. so I have also checked the booking system but can find no record of a family of 5 adults and 1 child being seated in the early part of the evening either on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or a Sunday during the past month. From the booking system I can also see that we could not have accommodated a group of 5 adults and 1 child as walk in since we had bookings starting right from 6 pm for all the tables capable of accommodating that number on the previous 3 Sundays, Saturdays and Fridays.

Under the circumstances, it would be better if you could please call us on our number 01689 60 1429 to provide more details so that I can investigate and take appropriate action.

I look forward to hear from you ASAP

Thanks and regards

Raghu Govada

Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

Visited Masala Dabbas for the first time recently and the dishes were absolutely delicious! If you are a vegetarian as I am, the Veg Manchuria for starter and Kathal biryani for mains are a must have!

1  Thank Gopalan R
Lata G, Partner at Masala Dabbas, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2018

Thank you for your encouraging feedback and delighted you enjoyed your first experience with us.
Looking forward to welcoming you again with family, friends and colleagues

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

First visit to this restaurant on Saturday and wasn’t disappointed.

The food was of a high quality, meat very tender and fab flavours. All 6 diners enjoyed their food, all plates were empty.

The service was helpful and friendly, any questions about dishes answered straightaway.

Price reasonable, but if looking for cheap “british” Indian restaurant this isn’t it, but if you want something more traditional and very tasty dishes try this restaurant. We will definitely be back.

Lata G, Partner at Masala Dabbas, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Thank you for your detailed feedback and happy to note that you and your fellow diners enjoyed the cuisine.
We are introducing a new menu soon and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed March 19, 2018

Brought family here for Sunday lunch. We had to wait to be seated as one staff was busy taking orders and the other was on the phone. After a few minutes of inattentiveness we just seated ourselves where ever we would find a seat.
The staff immediately apologised and we ordered our food. The kids had cheese naan with daal and plain yogurt. They polished it.

The adults had the amazing and very creative artichokes chaat, spicy mushrooms, idli and samosa chaat. For mains we had their famous jackfruit curry, elaichi gosht and mirch and baigan salaam. We ordered their lovely breads as well. It was finger licking good. The breads were exactly what I would get in a dhaba in Delhi. Hot, perfectly done, tender and still had the perfect bite.

What I love about this place is that they keep adding and changing dishes in their menu. Creative and using vegetables that I get back home,
Thank you for making Mothering Sunday so memorable. You truly are the best Indian restaurant, I whole heartedly endorse.

Lata G, Partner at Masala Dabbas, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Glad you enjoyed your meal despite your initial hiccups. As you might have noticed the restaurant was busy and if one of the staff was on the telephone it might have been to take a reservation.
However we greatly appreciate that you accepted our apology and had a satisfying meal with your family.
We take pride in our dishes and are trying to innovate all the time to keep our customers interest piqued.
Something new coming up soon .... watch this space