All reviews the penthouse the owner his wife antique furniture home away from home single malt food is excellent make you feel at home whiskey sours delicious drinks finger licking good gastronomic delight central pool tandoori lobster rooms are huge master chef lovely pool
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Just back from our 4th stay at Sur la Mer.
I call it my magical place because as soon as i enter I feel all my stress fade away and I can BREATHE!
The old world charm of this stunning boutique hotel takes you back to a gentler time.
Humongous rooms, antique furniture, ever smiling and efficient staff all add to the charm.
Beautiful, gentle and generous Nayan will definitely make your stay special in her own unique way.
Rockstar Raju, who is gregarious, charming and full of super interesting stories will curate extra special meals, of Michelin star quality.
From Duck l’orange to Pork vindaloo.
Breakfasts range from Aloo-Puri , Chole- Bhature to omelettes, crepes and pancakes and best of all, can be had throughout the day or night.
Please go expecting 5 star quality and service without the 5 star crowds and noise.
We’ll be back soooooon

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2018

Sur La Mer was everything and more. My daughter and I were looking for some quiet time where we could work (yes I know.. in Goa!) and play in peace. We definitely didn't want to stay at baga / calangute this time and Morjim ticked all our boxes. Safe, clean, good crowd, excellent places to eat and easy to get to. Sur la Mer exceeded all our expectations as well. The owners Nayan and Raju not only made us feel at home but part of the family. The food was off the charts good and the pool and rooms were instagram perfect :) Go.. don't even think about it.. just go

Room tip: We were in the Maharja suite... with its cute annex / attic.. it was perfect.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Melanie1709
Reviewed March 12, 2018

If you are looking for a special, unique and magical place to stay in goa, you should definitely visit SUR LA MER in Morjim on ashwem road.

This very privat luxury vila close to the beach is the most beautiful house we have visited during our 2 month trip in Goa. I have never stayed at a house with such a magical atmosphere which will make you want to stay forever. As I am very picky with with choosing accomodations, Sur la mer managed to overwhelm me in every way. Super clean, stunning big rooms with very comfortable beds! The house and interior is art itself, every furniture is choosen wisely.

Even the food which was served next to the pool was amazing, everything is fresh and homemade. It was perfect for my sensitive stomach, i haven’t been worried there about what to eat at all. Also the service staff is ver friendly and helpful!

If you want to eat at the beach there are several close options which are very good too. The owner of the house was very friendly and made us feel like home. We spend wonderful evenings with delicious drinks at the bar in the garden. I already miss it!

We were able to rent scooters from the house which was perfect to explore the neighborhood. First we wanted to stay for 3 days and in the end we stayed for 2 full weeks. All in all, this is a very very beautiful and peaceful place with a special energy. A house with charm, style and worth to even sneak in for dinner! As I travel a lot I am happy to say that i was able to experience this kind of place. You don’t find those often.

I totally recommend Sur la mer in every kind of way.
Antonia :)

Date of stay: April 2017
5  Thank AntoniaP519
Reviewed March 5, 2018

I truly do not know where to start in reviewing Sur La Mer. Five stars simply do not suffice.

The countless other 5 star reviews pretty much say it all, but I have to tell you that it would be a grave error to stay anywhere else in Goa. Sur La Mer quite simply cannot be beaten, nor replicated by any other operator.

The hotel itself is architecturally stunning. Huge rooms, each with verandas, big beds, original antique furniture, air con, power showers, impeccably clean, comfortable and safe. You’d be happy not leaving the rooms! The penthouse is another world of luxury and has to be seen!

Outside the hotel, the buildings centre around a large, newly refurbished swimming pool with antique sun beds and tables, where you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, sunbathe and completely chill whilst the team of staff do a wonderful job of keeping everything ticking like clockwork. Your every need will be met and expectations exceeded.

The Indian food at Sur La Mer is without a doubt the best I have eaten anywhere in India and the western food is up there with the best - really, really good. The kitchen has 6 or more chefs. A team for eastern dishes and a team for western. When they come together and create fusion dishes, you are in for a real treat. The owners spend the off-season travelling the world and gathering inspiration for new dishes before returning to inspire the chefs. Anything we asked for was made for us and anything we wanted to learn to cook, we were taught. We were given lessons in making paneer, tandoori breads, and whole tandoori lobster.

Most of the staff have been at the hotel for over a decade, which says it all really. They seem to love what they do, which is making your stay perfect. Quite a rare thing. They never stop smiling.

Sur La Mer attracts an engaging community of guests, from rock stars to writers, to you and I. The owners Aneel and Nayan make every evening special. Aneel has an antique bar in the garden, which he calls his office! Joining Aneel at the bar you will hear fantastic stories of his time as a Bollywood actor (15+ films), antique dealer in LA/New York (hence the antiques at the hotel). Every drink is on offer. I like whisky, so someone was summoned to collect Aneel’s single malt collection from his suite. He also makes a mean martini.

You will look at the legend that is Aneel, enjoying what he has built and entertaining his guests with ease and wonder to yourself whether he is the luckiest man alive. Only once you meet his wife, Nayan, will this question be confirmed. Nayan is an angel with a heart the size of the continent. We spent so many evenings in her company, enjoying wonderful conversation and learning so much from her. Truly a power couple. I am proud to now count them as very close friends.

Winston Churchill once said: “We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us”

Whilst I had nothing to do with shaping the building that is Sur La Mer, to those that did; thank you. It has certainly shaped me, my outlook on life, and will continue to do so as I think about it every day.

Until next time….

Room tip: All the rooms are huge and equally perfect. If you can stretch the budget to the Penthouse - you will not regret it!
Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed March 4, 2018

as mentioned before, the rooms are fantastic, the food is great, the beach nearby is one of the best. most of all, the place is magic because the owner Raju and his wife make sure that you feel totally at home. so please spend a few days to get the feeling, and get acquainted with the many returning aficionados that you'll meet. we caught the virus and hope to be back soon, all of a sudden Goa seems to be next door.

Room tip: you may want to be away from the noise from the bar, if you sleep in early.
Date of stay: February 2018