2,134 results
All reviews thermal suite lovely hotel evening meal on arrival relaxing break leisure facilities black pudding lovely grounds executive room afternoon tea cheshire oaks my mum chester zoo family room a lovely stay birthday treat steam room
Reviewed September 16, 2018

Only stayed here for one night so a snap shot review of what we experienced 14/09/18, as described in many reviews below the Hotel is a little tired and dated, but I’m sure the Hotel owners are fully aware of the situation, so an honest reply to people who take the time to point this out would I’m sure be very welcome, example: “we have plans in ???? for complete refurbishment” rather that the same old generic response of “we are sorry you were not happy with certain element’s of your stay”.

My wife and I did have concerns with “elements” such as cleanliness of bedrooms, bathrooms and plumbing problems, sounded like a 747 plane was overhead every time we flushed the toilet until we were given a different room by an apologetic Manager and the bar prices bordered on the obscene.

On the plus side the building and grounds are beautiful with ample parking, apart from an over cooked steak that should not have left the kitchen, the evening meal in the restaurant was very good, the breakfast was excellent value for money, the saving grace for this Hotel is the staff, smart, efficient and friendly with a great customer service attitude, so full marks to the training department, unfortunately it is the staff who are at the sharp end of complaints on site and until improvements are made to the décor and pricing they are just fighting fires.!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
AlanS5134, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2018

Dear Getaway722511,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at The Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

Your positive feedback in relation to our facilities and food quality, particularly on breakfast, are very much appreciated. Hospitality here at the hotel is something that we work really hard on delivering to high standards so I'm pleased to see that you experienced this first hand.

In 2014 the company invested in the refurbishment of a proportion of rooms at the hotel however whilst investment is key to the improvement of our business it is also important that we manage the daily preventative maintenance in bedrooms at a local level. Please rest assured that your view have been discussed with my inhouse Maintenance Manager.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Let's start with the positives. The hotel is nice, clean and the rooms are a good size with all the facilities you would expect. Hot and cold sandwiches we had for lunch were really nice...no problems at all in this respect. Now the negatives. The bar was very poorly stocked. Considering there was a wedding on the evening we visited, I was shocked at how disorganised the staff were. People queuing for drinks all night to be told they didnt have what they wanted. The bar also ran out of draught lager, which left people drinking bottled ciders etc. Not very professional. Not sure I would return in a hurry, and certainly wouldn't organise a celebration here.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

Your positive feedback relating to the hotel cleanliness and food quality are very much appreciated.

I was disappointed to read your comments relating to the bar service and will of course review this element of our business with the operational team.

Reviewed September 14, 2018

Honestly, you could not ask any more from the hotel...

From Check-In with a young man Adam very helpful happy guy helped with plans during the stay as well! Very Impressed. The reception team as a whole very helpful dedicated to the guest to try and help in any situation Alison also was especially brill just knows exactly what to say or do - the perfect start.

Food absolutely amazing hat off to the chefs who must spend hours of the day on making it spot on... thank you!

Housekeeping the service of the rooms very clean, very nice we saw our room just felt welcomed in.

Spa very clean the smell was ammaculate, treatments spectacular Sophie, Shani and the rest were so great and helpful generally relaxing.

The only thing we did not like was the wave goodbye!

So unfortunate we live to far to visit every week...until we meet again

1  Thank russellgrey3
AlanS5134, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2018

Dear Russell,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us here at The Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and your positive feedback in relation to the hotel cleanliness and food quality are very much appreciated.

Personal recognition for Adam, Alison, Sophie and Shani will not go unrewarded and your comments will be shared directly with them so they can understand the impact of their hospitality on your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

I went to a family wedding on 8th Sept at Craxton Manor, a very impressive building. The wedding ceremony room was beautifully set out and went very well, apart from you could hear the noises from the kitchen but otherwise very good. The room for the wedding party was very well presented and the food and service of the food was excellent, staff couldnt do enough for you. The main problem I and a lot of other people had with the day was the price of the drinks which were extortionate, even for hotel prices and the service and attitude of some of the bar staff. The prices of shorts and mixers changed every time you got served and a bottle of cider was £5.80, expensive even for a hotel. I bought a bottle of cider, had 1/3rd left in the bottle and a full glass, left my drinks where I was standing at the bar and went to take a photo. When I got back my bottle with the remaining cider in had gone, I asked the lady behind the bar whereit hadgone, she gave me a filthy look and moaned about me to the other bar staff, got another bottle and poured 2/3rds into another glass and slammed the remaing cider in the bottle in front of me, no apologies, just glared at me. She put the cider she had poured out behind the bar as she couldnt use it for anything else, not the type of service you expect in an expensive hotel. One of the male bar staff was that drunk by the end of the night he could hardly stand!! Its a shame that after such a lovely, happy wedding day, these are the things we will remember about the hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family
AlanS5134, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Dear Hazel,

Thank you for your review following your recent attendance at a family wedding here at Macdonald Craxton Wood.

I'm pleased overall that you enjoyed the wedding experience and your positive feedback in relation to the food quality and service are very much appreciated. As I'm sure you understand lots of preparation goes into a wedding day and it's good to see that it was an enjoyable experience.

Typically the bar service and standards throughout an event are very well received and I'm sorry that you felt that this was not the case. All products are specifically coded and priced through our till systems so there should never be any differential in price charged and you have my assurances that I will follow this up with the Bars team directly.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed September 12, 2018

We booked a spa break, and before I launch into my review of the hotel, let me say that the spa part of our stay was pretty good and was very good for the money. However, the hotel is poor. Firstly, we could not charge anything to our room with a debit card. So we had to carry our money around with us to pay as we went, and when using a pool this is not ideal. We have stayed at numerous hotels and spas and this is the first time anyone has insisted on a credit card for this service. Our hotel room was an okay size but there was a huge problem with the plumbing which caused loud foghorns to sound every time you flushed the toilet. In the evening and morning the sound of flushing toilets all down the corridor from all the hotel rooms sounded like we were at a busy harbour with all the boats leaving. When I mentioned it at the desk they acted bemused as if totally unaware. Our bathroom was flooded when I had a shower as the glass partition did not have a good seal between it and the bath so all the water ran down the glass and onto the floor - which of course you know nothing about until you step out.

We booked an evening meal but were disappointed in the very small menu choice and the prices if we did not go with the set menu.Steak and chips between £25-£30 is very high. A 3 course meal from a selection of 3 dishes at £35 is also very expensive.They are charging more for their dishes than a Michelin starred restaurant, and believe me the standard is nowhere near that. The mark up on the wine is downright dishonest. We paid £32 for a bottle of wine which we discovered retailed at £7.79. Our understanding is that 3 times the wholesale cost is normal - not 5. They had no beer at all (apparently they had a wedding 2 days ago and had not replaced stocks). A baileys and a cointreau at the bar cost £9.50. So be aware you will need deep pockets if you want to eat and drink here.

I had to refuse the water jug as it was smashed with jagged glass at the rim. Our table was wonky so we grabbed a napkin from the next door table and put it under the leg. The next morning at breakfast it was still there, even though the table had been cleaned and reset. This is indicative of a lack of care and attention from their staff, that they do not notice broken glassware or napkins on the floor.

No decaffeinated tea or coffee was available at the hot drink section so I had to ask for it. The waitress clearly had no idea how to use the cafetiere (french press) and put the coffee grinds above the press so when I went to pour, all the coffee grinds fell into my cup. This is a small inconvenience but all these little things add up to spoiling your stay.

The spa was pretty good, but they do not show you around when you arrive so it was only by accident on day 2 that we discovered a whole other half of the spa outside the pool area. There was no signage to suggest that there was anything at all in that area, never mind 2 saunas, a steam room, foot spas and experience showers. The spa staff were very good and our treatments were excellent.

I would happily attend the spa again, but wild horses would not drag me into that restaurant or stay in one of their noisy hotel rooms.

Dear Alexa,

Whilst I thank you for your positive feedback relating to the Spa I'm really sorry that there were elements of your stay that you were dissatisfied with. Please rest assured that your comments will be discussed in full with the team here at the hotel and processes put in place to ensure that we consistently deliver to our typically high standards.