2,091 results
All reviews thermal suite lovely hotel evening meal leisure facilities black pudding lovely grounds executive room relaxing break cheshire oaks afternoon tea my mum chester zoo a lovely stay family room enjoyable stay birthday treat restaurant staff
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Only stayed here for one night so a snap shot review of what we experienced 14/09/18, as described in many reviews below the Hotel is a little tired and dated, but I’m sure the Hotel owners are fully aware of the situation, so an honest reply to people who take the time to point this out would I’m sure be very welcome, example: “we have plans in ???? for complete refurbishment” rather that the same old generic response of “we are sorry you were not happy with certain element’s of your stay”.

My wife and I did have concerns with “elements” such as cleanliness of bedrooms, bathrooms and plumbing problems, sounded like a 747 plane was overhead every time we flushed the toilet until we were given a different room by an apologetic Manager and the bar prices bordered on the obscene.

On the plus side the building and grounds are beautiful with ample parking, apart from an over cooked steak that should not have left the kitchen, the evening meal in the restaurant was very good, the breakfast was excellent value for money, the saving grace for this Hotel is the staff, smart, efficient and friendly with a great customer service attitude, so full marks to the training department, unfortunately it is the staff who are at the sharp end of complaints on site and until improvements are made to the décor and pricing they are just fighting fires.!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
AlanS5134, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Getaway722511,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at The Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

Your positive feedback in relation to our facilities and food quality, particularly on breakfast, are very much appreciated. Hospitality here at the hotel is something that we work really hard on delivering to high standards so I'm pleased to see that you experienced this first hand.

In 2014 the company invested in the refurbishment of a proportion of rooms at the hotel however whilst investment is key to the improvement of our business it is also important that we manage the daily preventative maintenance in bedrooms at a local level. Please rest assured that your view have been discussed with my inhouse Maintenance Manager.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Let's start with the positives. The hotel is nice, clean and the rooms are a good size with all the facilities you would expect. Hot and cold sandwiches we had for lunch were really nice...no problems at all in this respect. Now the negatives. The bar was very poorly stocked. Considering there was a wedding on the evening we visited, I was shocked at how disorganised the staff were. People queuing for drinks all night to be told they didnt have what they wanted. The bar also ran out of draught lager, which left people drinking bottled ciders etc. Not very professional. Not sure I would return in a hurry, and certainly wouldn't organise a celebration here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

Your positive feedback relating to the hotel cleanliness and food quality are very much appreciated.

I was disappointed to read your comments relating to the bar service and will of course review this element of our business with the operational team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Honestly, you could not ask any more from the hotel...

From Check-In with a young man Adam very helpful happy guy helped with plans during the stay as well! Very Impressed. The reception team as a whole very helpful dedicated to the guest to try and help in any situation Alison also was especially brill just knows exactly what to say or do - the perfect start.

Food absolutely amazing hat off to the chefs who must spend hours of the day on making it spot on... thank you!

Housekeeping the service of the rooms very clean, very nice we saw our room just felt welcomed in.

Spa very clean the smell was ammaculate, treatments spectacular Sophie, Shani and the rest were so great and helpful generally relaxing.

The only thing we did not like was the wave goodbye!

So unfortunate we live to far to visit every week...until we meet again

1  Thank russellgrey3
AlanS5134, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Russell,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us here at The Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and your positive feedback in relation to the hotel cleanliness and food quality are very much appreciated.

Personal recognition for Adam, Alison, Sophie and Shani will not go unrewarded and your comments will be shared directly with them so they can understand the impact of their hospitality on your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've been there for 2 nights with my friends and we enjoyed everything , food was really good , the beef shin was really tasty .
rooms are big enough and very clean , my room was really good I have enjoyed the garden view while I had my tea and breakfast in the room
All the staff are really lovely and very helpful.
Bar and restaurand service 5* +
FOR SURE A GOOD PLACE TO COME BACK !

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank smithkatie45

Dear Katiel,

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went for a chill time with my partner away from kids , and I COULD say it was exacly what we needed !!
Staff was really friendly and nice ,they were always ready to help
Check in was quick and we had a nice service from the reception staff
Food was absolutely delicious , bar service was very good me and my partner we enjoyed the cocktails we had !
we booked a spa break as well and everything was really the way we were expected to be !!

For sure we will come back !!

Dear Deborah,

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and your positive feedback in relation to the hotel cleanliness, Spa and food quality are very much appreciated Reading such great comments about the teams hospitality is fantastic and I'll be sure to share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.