All reviews michelin star main restaurant low beams english family gourmet restaurant de la beautiful property two nights burgundy countryside escargot wine list bourgogne no elevator shetland ponies relais chateau hotel abbey sommelier
Reviewed August 20, 2015 via mobile

My husband and I visit very often Relais&chateaux properties and many other luxury hotels. This is absolutely one of the best in France!! The beds and room are great and spacious (not very common in France), Bvlgary amenities, delicious breakfast, lunch and stunning dinner with the Michelin Star chef Emmanuel Hébrard (90 euros p/p). One minute away the hotel there is a bike path all long the Bourgogne Canal of more of 200 km to ride by, and the hotel bikes are really good. All the staff is awesome and friendly and our daughters (7&10) were as happy as we were!!! Thank for EVERY detail Abbaye de la Bussière!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Magdalenafe
Reviewed August 17, 2015 via mobile

First impressions count. Or so they say. Well there was nobody to greet me on arrival. Unfortunately, there was nobody to take my luggage either. I then went to reception indicating my name and reservation. I was received. They did not inform me the lunch service was about to close and I was lucky to find this one out by pure chance after enquiring before they did effectively close. Their bistro is lovingly set in the former refectory and very charming. The food was good- although their swordfish was too acidic and the base of their prune tarte rock hard. The best were the snails though. The selection of local cheeses was delicious. The service was efficient. After finishing lunch I was promised by Flora, the receptionist, my luggage would (finally) be 'taken care of' in '10 minutes.'- Well I am still waiting..-
There is no a/c, no minibar, no flowers or fresh fruit in my 'Ermitage suite' at €510 a night!!!- The Tsars surely would turn in their graves for such a travesty. Furthermore, there is no fridge or coffee making facilities whatsoever. The hotel does not have any cleaning or laundry services available. You guessed it: alas no room service.
I seriously cannot believe I am staying in a Relais& Chateau property. Having been to many many hotels worldwide and staying in such wonderful properties such as La manoir aux quat saison by Raymond Blanc in the UK or Le Quartier francais in Franschoek in South Africa I think the service in this one is appalling. You do not believe me? Come and find out for yourself. I have just come straight from Illhaeusern in Alsace and had lovelier accomodation at €350 a night, much much friendlier staff who actually smile a lot and incredible food. What an utter shambles. Well, it's just for the night they say!!
PS: that dirty dusty fan of theirs in my suite- I would not want to put it in my dog's house. Oh dear.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Jionkan
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2015

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write your views, and for booking and staying with us as I am sure that you would have done your homework on us before hand.

Oh dear, as you say.

My wife and I, and our family take great pride in what we have achieved at the Abbaye in 9 years. If it had not been for us then the Tsar's would be very unhappy with the out come of these magnificent buildings. It has taken great madness and vision to get even where we are today. This is not just our professional, but our way of life as well.

Raymond Blanc, a guest on more than one occasion, has had 25 years to perfect the "Le Manoir" with many nightmare experiences on the journey.

We have only been open for 9 years. We opened in 2006 with 9 rooms and now we have 20. We are only half way through the project.

The price of the rooms not only reflects the quality and size of the rooms but also the financial needs of the business, only tonight a client used the phrase "black hole" The upkeep is enormous.

We have much more to do. Your suite will have A/C next year and all rooms will have a mini bar and coffee making next year. These projects have to be phased in with the finances. This winter will see the principle boiler room changed (120k) a lift (110k) and air conditioning for 12 rooms (100K) and a new gravel drive. Not to mention the new patio and additional Park lighting !

My wife and I are the managers, night porters, chambermaids and gardeners. We are fully aware what Relais & Chateaux is, 20 years of R&C experience. With a new business within these ever increasing bureaucratic laws we have to be careful. This means that we do not have the infrastructure, yet, to implement the "icing on the cake" Fresh flowers and fruit etc. We have many "experience enhancing" projects and idea's that we wish to implement. We just need to satisfy the Government first !!

I am most upset that your welcome was not up to our norm, Flora on reception has read you review and is very upset that she came across in this manner. When my son arrived back at 3.00 PM to resume his porter duties he had 3 arrival's at the same time and Flora's promise to you slipped her mind. Flora is a stagaire from the hotel school in Dijon and is very proud of this industry. She has learnt from this mistake.

We are a family business, very proud of the Industry that we represent and very proud of R&C, we do score very highly of many review sites, but we know we are not perfect. We have been away with our family for the last 2 weeks and are now back to normal, I hope that I have the chance to say hello. I will be cutting the lawn again tomorrow with my son and then in the Abbaye for the evening.

With kind regards,

Clive Cummings

Reviewed August 14, 2015

Beautiful setting, with Shetland ponies, well thought through rooms and gorgeous views.The staff are attentive, the food is great and the cheese board certainly worth lingering over. This is our second visit, and won't be our last.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AJF14
Reviewed August 8, 2015

We stayed four nights as a couple in the Cluny suite which I believe is one of their larger (if not the largest) suites they have but is not huge - would guess 550 sq ft. It is on the 2nd floor separated from the part of the abbaye that has the rest of the guest rooms. It has a separate living room with couch, coffee table and desk. Our room had A/C even though we went during an unusually cold week in July. Toilet is in a separate room away from the bathroom which is nice. Bathtub, shower and sinks are open to the bedroom area which provides a nice open feel. Decor in Cluny is very traditional dark red, purple Parisian but there's plenty of light from the windows that open to the garden and large bright chandeliers. There is a small armoire for hanging clothes so no large closet. Room was comfortable and close to the restaurant directly downstairs from us so easy to get down to breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was good (you will be too far from other cafes so you have to eat breakfast there unless you want to drive 20 mins). I'm sure the other rooms are nice as well each with a different theme and color - but also probably small if Cluny is an indication of their largest room. The suites that are not connected to the main building is prob good for familes with children or if you want more privacy. I thought they were going to be far from the main abbaye but it really isn't....literally just across the gravel driveway so if you want to save some money on rooms, these are prob not a bad option. Dinner was outstanding - their one Michelin star restaurant is excellent and we agreed better than some of the 2 or 3 star ones we went to and great value compared to those as well. Highly recommend the Wild Card (set) menu and be prepared to be stuffed. Service (particularly at the restaurant) was great. Check the dinner schedule as the restaurant and the separate bistro dinning room do not open every night (at least one of them will be though). They have bikes and helmets that you can use (they are in great condition) and we did a four hour ride along the canal up to chateauneauff (highly recommend) which was a gorgeous ride. They have a lounge upstairs with a bar as well as two additional sitting rooms if you wan to relax and read or have a cafe. Dijon proper is about 35-40 mins drive and Beaune is the same in the opposite direction. Highly recommend a rental car although we did get a taxi for dinner in Beaune one night bc we did not want to drink and drive which cost around 150 EUR round trip. Overall it was a fantastic stay if you want a tradtional low key, private, relaxing experience. Its an old abbaye so furnishing are old but nice and there's some areas that probably need some dusting. Its definitely on the expensive side for staying at an old abbeye but we enjoyed it very much and would visit again if we have the chance.

Room tip: Each room is different. Get Cluny Suite if can spend the money. Large and conveniently located in private area.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina P
Reviewed August 6, 2015

We upgraded to a slightly larger room to insure that we had air conditioning since this has been such a hot summer - we were very glad they were able to accommodate that request. The room was up a couple flights of stairs, then down a long hallway but we did not have to move our bags in or out - the first day we arrived we were met at the car by the butler and he loaded our bags from the room directly to the boot while we checked out. Having a cocktail on the terrace over looking the pond was the perfect way to start our vacation. We wanted to be close to Dijon, but not in Dijon. We chose to eat at the more casual dinner place within the abbaye and it was delicious - you will still feel like you are having a michelin starred meal! For breakfast, we always ate out as we preferred something lighter. Very pricey - we spent less at every other location on our trip (including Paris) and this wouldn't make a list of places to return to despite the service being exceptional. While we saw one family there, it wouldn't be a place most kids would enjoy.

Room tip: If air conditioning is a priority, make sure your room has it.
Date of stay: July 2015