All reviews michelin star main building low beams english family gourmet restaurant beautiful property de la two nights wine selection burgundy countryside escargot base for exploring bourgogne no elevator shetland ponies relais chateau hotel abbey
Reviewed March 3, 2018

It warms my heart to see that the art of gothic opulence lives on. Everywhere in this hotel one's gaze is regaled by a feast, in the bedrooms as well as the public spaces. Lovely quiet location, delightful and charming personnel. Our bathroom had a large jacuzzi whose motors were less noisy than most. Unfortunately the room had a few faults: dim lighting, no reading lamp, firm mattress, and slightly musty smell (the ceiling showed signs of water damage).

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fanoffrance
Reviewed January 7, 2018

I have meant to review this place for some time and am finally getting around to it. We stayed here with family a couple of years ago. It is located on an exqusite property. Rooms are lovely and the windows open on to a beautiful property. Restful and reinvitorating. The hotel has two restaurants; one is a Michelin starred, the other more casual. Both are fantastic. While we were in residence, I had a stomach bug and the hotel sent up a soup and crackers. The staff is very attentive. We will go back to this brilliant place in the future. Highest recommendation!!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Dear dejindc,

Thank you. We look forward to your return.

With kind regards,

Clive

Reviewed November 2, 2017

The property is magnificent, about that there is no doubt. However, on a recent stay we were given a room in one of the outer buildings. It was chilly outside so there were space heaters placed in our room. Because there was only one plug, that meant the lights had to be unplugged. So, the room which has very small windows, was also cold and dark. The showers have no doors, which doesn’t work. The floors flooded after every shower. The sinks were problematic as well- the water splashed everywhere and the handles fell off. This room shouldn’t be used when the weather necessitates space heaters. The access to the room is a crumbling stone staircase and the dresser had lots of dust on the base. After one night in this room, we asked to be moved to the main building. Our second room had a fabulous view of the property and a very comfortable bed.
The bathroom issues remained the same, plus the remote for the TV was taped together. The devil is in the details, and the details were missing.
Although we booked on the same day we arrived, we weren’t told the internet was down. Since all of us own businesses, this made our stay difficult and inconvenient. When we mentioned it to the owner, his response was that some guests were happy there was no internet.
I have reviewed the restaurant separately-I don’t recommend eating there.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laura s
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2017

Yes, the devil is in the detail, but you have unfortunately missed it. It's called character, charm, courtesy and calm. It's so easy finding problems. The crumbling stone stair case as you put it is 300 years old, would you prefer I rebuild for new? Tape on the remote ! Dust ! Space heaters ! Sinks ! Tapes ! Handles !

This is now the 4th and probably not the last review that I feel is vindication for not giving a refund on the wifi situation. Which can be read on another response !

Reviewed November 2, 2017

We booked our stay here based on their being a Relais & Chateau property and having a Michelin star restaurant. The grounds are beautiful and unique, but the rooms did not have the luxuries that a Relais property typically has. The bathroom had no door and no shower door and no tissues. There's no elevator so we had to carry our luggage up many flights of stairs.

As for the restaurant, we ordered the tasting menu. The food was so salty that I didn't even eat it. When I complained to the server, she told me that the chef said that the meat was salty because it was dry aged. Not true; it was downright salty and tough. I don't know when they received their Michelin star, but it is simply not worthy of one.

Upon checking out, we brought this to the owner's attention and he was defensive and argumentative; not willing to take the dinner off the bill.

Room Tip: the rooms in the main abbey are much better than the ones in the outer buildings
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Suziemalibu

Date, name ?

I do not remember any one complaining to me and me refusing to deduct a meal cost.

I find this review very spiteful. We spend a lot of time and effort on our business and are very proud of what we have achieved in the 10 years since we opened the Abbaye as a hotel.

We became members of Relais and Châteaux and where awarded a Michelin star in 2007. 10 years.

Reviewed November 1, 2017

This was a beautiful property but full of disappointments. The quality of the food was mediocre at best, and very expensive. How it got a one star Michelin is beyond belief. The food dishes were overly-salted and 2 were inedible and had to be returned to the kitchen. The "dry-aged" beef was tough and hard to even cut. We got an upgraded room the first night but the hot water did not work in the shower and some of the lights/thermostats weren't working properly, so we had to change rooms. Worst of all, the internet was down the entire stay(3 nights), even though the owner told us at check in that the internet would be up and running the next morning after we checked in. That proved to be false and costs us lots of money for having to use our data on the mobile phone. We asked for an adjustment when we checked out but the owner was extremely rude and took no responsibility for the lack of internet.

In conclusion, this was one of the prettiest properties we stayed in on our trip, but the services need a serious upgrade, as well as an attitude adjustment from the owner.

Room Tip: stick with the smaller rooms until the suites are upgraded.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
2  Thank Mark M
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2017

Unfair and misleading review.

The client booked on the day as they where not happy with their hotel in Dijon. The confirmation arrived just as they walked into reception. We offered a special rate of 4 nights for the price of 3, a saving of €900.

This is not a four seasons, the renovation is a lifetime project. The heating system in this particular suite is a general boiler that works very well. If its too hot then a window can be opened. Eventually we will have a duel hot/cold electric thermostat system like in the other 15 rooms. It's ambient lighting. But we changed both rooms the next day anyway.

The main grievance here is the Internet. Fibre optic lines are being laid in the valley, the contractor sliced the existing cables a few times and that effected the whole valley, we had no phones, no internet, no credit card machine. Orange, our carrier promised each day that by the afternoon all would be working. This went on for 5 days !

I have had a few lovely chats with these clients over the duration of their stay, all as per usual.

On checkout the guest told me that the lack of Internet had cost €400 and that i was responsible and that this amount should be deducted from the invoice. I politely declined this request as the problem was not the responsibility of the Abbaye, but I had a complaint form lodged with Orange and that if I was given an itemised list of cost then I would add this to the claim, this was declined.

This is not the first forum that this guest has used. On another an amount of €200 was quoted. Inconsistent.

Hospitality is in my blood, I was not rude, only stood my ground.

Nor did I question the request for bread to be served in a lounge for the guest to eat with their Ham, cheese and wine that they had bought else where.

Dinner, we have a local, regional philosophy of field to fork. This is prepared and served by a professional team. Food is a personal preference, but i am confident with the consistency that my team delivers.