“Study and much more”

Biblioteca Malatestiana
Ranked #1 of 96 things to do in Cesena
Reviewed December 19, 2016 via mobile

Studying there for students is a great experience. With the avanguard of the Technogym fitness balls studying is more interesting.. I always study there

All reviews
"architecture"
"order"
"latin"

Reviewed November 3, 2016 via mobile

They claim (and have proofs) to be one of the ancient libraries in the world. The place is awesome, you may feel the culture in the heavy air you'll breath during the visit. The visit is "short in time" but I would definitely suggest it

Reviewed September 13, 2016

Biblioteca Malatestiana is Cesena's jewel. If you visit you'll learn why, it's a place where you breathe time and the centuries before you.
It houses a nice collection of bibliographic jewels and curiosities.
If you're around it's a must to visit.

Reviewed August 16, 2016

A history spanning over 550 years, in the continuity of the place, around the original heritage, under the control and care of the same municipal authorities make the Malatesta a unique library of Cesena.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 21, 2016

If you are a history geek and/or book nerd, this place is somewhere you must visit if you are anywhere near Cesena! The oldest public library in the world will not disappoint! Entrance to the library is free, but to see the original area, which is gated off, is 5 euros for a ticket. Definitely worth it, in my opinion.

There was a school tour going on just as we got there, so we had to wait a bit until they were done, but there was plenty to see in the hallway and time passed quickly. Once we finally got to enter, we were in a small group, just us and three older women. The tour guide gave us a nice explanation of the library, it's origin, etc. He spoke in Italian, so if you don't speak Italian, I'm not sure what they would do. I speak quite a bit of Italian, but what I didn't understand, my friend helped with filling me in.

The original structure with original two-key entry wooden doors was so incredible to experience. The guide explained that before there was a building next to it, the natural lighting would light up the reading room really well. The original books, chained to the original reading desks was just incredible to witness. You aren't able to walk far into it or sit on the wooden benches, but that was ok with me. It was simply incredible. Walking out of the original library, straight across, they have a fantastic collection of original manuscripts dating from the 1400's that were owned by the popes that came from Cesena. There are several opened books under glass that you can stare at (which we did). To see the hand written books was an incredible experience. My friend and I perused that room for quite awhile as the tour guide chatted with the others who had come into the room, explaining various things.

Highly recommend this tour if you are in the area and love old books as much as I do.