“Beautiful seaside location”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Diano Marina
Kalisz
“Beautiful seaside location”
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My family spent a marvellous holiday this summer and that's why I would like to share my experiences with other holidaymakers who are looking for a really good hotel in Italy.
We are Polish and when we arrived at the hotel we were very happy to talk to the receptionist in Polish language. There were a lot of international tourists as well, and they could communicate in a variety of languages with the staff and even with the lifeguard.Our room was quite big, clean with a balcony and the seaview. The swimming pools offer a lot of space for swimming, having massages or just relaxing in the warm water. There is also a shallow pool for kids. What we liked the most were fantastic breakfasts at the terrace and a great snack bar next to the pools situated under old olive trees.
To summarize, I would recommend Grand Hotel Diana Majestic to everyone!

• Liked — location of the hotel, fantastic swimming pools, meals on the terrace
  • Disliked — the beach wasn't very big
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Taunton, Somerset
Reviewed 15 June 2008

Just returned from a seven day break - we found the rooms clean & well presented, the staff were helpful and the hotel in generally good order.

The stay was not totally without gripes - you have to pay €3.50 to rent a towel (yes, you did read that right) to sit next to the pool, which opens at about 9.30 in the morning so forget the early swim. They shut off hotel access to the beach after about 18.30, which could be to stop you going out, turning left and finding a bar on the promonade before/after dinner....or am I being too sceptical?

To us however, the biggest let down was the food, for instance 'Turkey with Brussel Sprouts'? 'Roast Beef English style'? I mean, come on - which is why I say 'Three Star Food' - and having stayed in Italy many times I think I'm being quite generous!

Diano Marina itself is a quiet resort, if you are used to those in Italy such as Sorrento, you'll have explored it in about a day, so I would recommend a Hire Car.

There were no excursions offered through our tour operator (Citalia) and I would really recommend checking the availability of excursions if you don't plan the Car Hire.

If you do go for the latter, it takes an hour and a half from Nice Airport with no wrong turns or hold-ups (I was using GPS!). Portofino is about two hours, Monaco about 45 mins, both are well worth a visit.

Apparently the hotel has had a problem with the beach - we didn't notice this until it was pointed out to us by those who have stayed there before. Fair to say though it doesn't look like the pictures in the Citalia brochure, but 'as is' we didn't have any complaints.

So in summary, not bad but we wouldn't go back. We would however stay in Santa Margherita at which we stopped on the way to Portofino, as it looks like it has a Pulse.

• Liked — Sea Front Location, Cleanliness, Staff.
  • Disliked — Food, Resort too quiet.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1969_lee
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 February 2008

First let me stress that I love Italy, it is one of my favorite countries in the world.

A year and a half ago I took my mom on a vacation to the South of France. We had been to Italy, (Tuscany and the Cinque Terre) the previous year with my husband and both of my parents and we all loved it. My husband and I have been to Italy many times but it had been a first for my parents.

In 2006, we took a girls only vacation to the South of France - which was a dream come true - we stayed in Villa Maxime in St. Paul de Vence. My mom had been so taken with the previous Italy trip that she asked if we could drive over to Italy for a couple of nights, and she had always dreamed of Diano Marina.

The minute we drove into Diano Marina at about 10:00 a.m. we knew it was a huge mistake, the second we walked into the Grand Hotel Majestic and saw the dated and dirty looking carpet in the reception area, we knew we were in big trouble.

Into the elevator and up to a pokey, dark room (one of their superior by the way) with a tiny balcony and "motel" looking furnishings. My mother, who is extremely tolerant, just said to me "please lets just leave right now, I will pay for everything."

I immediately went to reception and told them that we would not be staying at all and would leave immediately. Just to charge us for that night, and I was canceling the following two nights. I had a very big problem dealing with management, and if I had not known my rights and been intimidated by the extremely snotty attitude of the manager (the general reception staff were very nice but need to get out of there), I would have been bullied into paying for the three nights, but he knew he was wrong in the end and backed down. Fair enough, I would pay for that night half board and as I had notified them well in advance of the other two nights, of course, as is normal, I did not have to pay for them.

By this time, we were both emotionally exhausted and made the decision to just sleep there and get out of there as fast as we could the following morning (we did not even stay for breakfast in the morning). We went to explore the town!

We walked along a horrible beach, with concrete like sand (hard and dirty) with - wait for it -- White Plastic Sandbags!!! at the water's edge - it was beyond horrific! the town was a manic parade of hurdy gurdies (if that is how you even spell that) along the seafront and cheap shops in the town. The final straw was hundreds of people slurping ice creams like they had never had one before! - it was just too much.

We were booked in for half board and went to the dining room. I could cry with the quality of the food, which arrived COLD, on a trolly, with domes over the plates. I do not even remember what I had, apart from the fact it was inedible, and my mother had some awful, waterlogged, soggy sole with wet potatoes and frozen vegs on the side. It really looked like it had ALL been frozen and just boiled and plopped on a plate.

I felt sad when one of the waiters pointed to a couple who were having dinner and said "they have been coming here for the past 20 years." Obviously nothing, nothing has changed since then.

We decided the best thing to do was get an early night , and get out of there as early as possible next morning. We both had to take a sleeping pill we were so unnerved - actually I probably needed therapy after the whole horrible experience.

I would not recommend this hotel and would definitely not recommend Diano Marina. There are so many really fantastic places in Italy and France, I can't think of even one reason to go here and a million to avoid it. And if you have been going here and no place else, with all due respects, please try some other areas, I think you will be hugely surprised.

I am very sorry to write a negative review but there is so little on this area I decided to. If I could save others from this horrible and dissapointing experience it is worth it.

• Liked — Getting out of there
  • Disliked — 30 years behind the times
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank Anne P
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2007

Just returned after a lovley holiday
All the staff are so freindly and helpfull nice room with wonderfull sea view
just perfect

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank emmagoat
Cheshire
Reviewed 13 August 2007

If you are looking for a hotel in this part of Italy the Grand Hotel Diana Majestic would be hard to beat. Diano Marina is a lovely seaside town with lots of Italian charm, perfect for families. The staff are warm and friendly and the service first class. Its seafront location makes it perfect for a relaxing break.

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank sunflower50
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2006

Excellent location; on the beach and they have nice parking behind the hotel. Very friendly and nice staff. The only complaint I have is the air conditioning didn't seem to work very well and the check out time is 11am. Luckily, in Sept it isn't that hot. We opened up our patio door but couldn't keep it open the whole night because of barking dogs. I would stay here again.

• Liked — clean, large rooms
  • Disliked — lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple