All reviews crazy golf hotel bus beer and soft drinks free lunch deluxe room tourist bus minibus service buffet style evening entertainment lovely hotel table tennis giant chess per day soft play area family holiday lake garda per device
Reviewed May 30, 2016

Myself and husband stayed here for a week from 21/5/16. What a week, fantastic place, we travelled with Thomson and I must say the reps were seen frequently, they were friendly and good at their job, contactable 24/7.The transfer time took 1.1/2 hr. We were in room 121 which is directly above the entrance of the hotel, no sun at this end but lovely views. Not having been to Lake Garda before I was unsure of which resort to choose from but having now been and travelled to a few other resorts definitely booked the right hotel and resort. Malcesine (pronounced Malchesnie) is fabulous. The hotel is between 20-30 mins walk from the centre dependant on how quick you walk, it is a nice walk down taking in the views, the walk back up is a slight incline but feels worse because it is a long road, again taking unto 30 minutes taking it easy, the entrance to the cable car is at the bottom of the road, which is in the centre. Taking a left at the bottom of the road (2 min walk) takes you to the bus station, purchase any bus tickets in the station or tobacconist shops or you can pay on the bus. purchasing return tickets are cheaper, you can also purchase 3/7 day passes. Just cross the road and you are heading towards the lake front, lots of restaurants/bars/cafes/ice cream, juice parlours, shops, cobbled streets, the castle, the harbour, a very beautiful, picturesque place. another walk from the hotel, instead of taking a left and walking into town, cross the road, walk left passed the car park, take a right down a narrow lane/pathway, continue walking down until you reach some steps to the left, go down the steps and quite steep slope to the bottom, there is a hand rail part of the way, you have now reached the main road, you can walk on the promenade into town, this a lovely walk, not too taxing and the views are beautiful. instead of walking down the steps you can carry on walking down the lane, passing camp sites and BB's, again leading onto the main road, walk on the promenade, taking a left and you will pass the area where the paragliders land (or should land) sometimes they end up in the water, you can sit and watch these and many other sports activities that are going on. When you reach the castle, you take a left up a short, steep hill and you are back in the centre. This is quite a walk but there are cafe's you can stop at and it is well worth it. (a comfortable 1.30 hrs). There are more Germans than English holidaymakers in the hotel and resort and because most of the Germans travel to Lake Garda by car they take their dogs, dogs seem to be allowed everywhere, be prepared to see them in the hotel but not in the restaurant, they are not a problem, I was quite jealous because I would have loved to have been able to take my dog with me. Lots of bikers and walkers. Weddings take place at the castle so don't be surprised to see a bride or 2 in the castle area. The hotel - A free drink on arrival, very friendly staff, clean and comfortable, entertainment in the evenings isn't bad, the magician is funny, more entertaining for the children really. We were half board and it was worth every penny. Every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday there is also free lunch. Every day between 4-5pm there is free tea/coffee with biscuits from the bar. Breakfast is a choice of continental but also offers fresh boiled, fried eggs, omelettes, streaky bacon, sausages (frankfurter hot dog style). I had read in a previous review that the coffee wasn't good, but it was fine, just like we get here in UK. Evening meal - we usually went down for dinner at 7.30 and there was always a place for us to sit and plenty of fresh food. Something to suit everyone, the food was very tasty and I can be quite picky but enjoyed everything I ate. At lunch and evening meal there is free wine and beer on offer, as much or little as you want. I have also read in a review the Germans don't queue but everyone queued, its quite simple really and when you say queue, the most was 4/5 people (if there was a queue). The waiters/waitresses are very quick to clear tables and re set etc; they are friendly and helpful. Costs for local tax 1 € per person, per day, safe 1 € per day. Much cheaper than some other places I have stayed at. Trips - Limone, rather than taking the 26€ evening cruise go during the day for 8€, it is a lovely little place, very hilly. We took a bus to Riva, walked back on the promenade to Torbole (about 30 mins stroll) lots of water sports going on, lots on bikes, after walking round resorts got bus back from Torbole on the main road, total cost for 2 on bus return €11. Bus to Bardolino for 2 cost 8€, we then walked on the promenade to Garda (approx 30 mins) and caught the extra fast boat back to Malesine, this cost 32€, it took 1 hr whereas the slower boat takes 2 hrs. It is very easy to get around by bus or boat. There is a shuttle bus to the centre from the hotel (hourly until 5pm) at a cost of 1€ each way. All the places we visited were beautiful, the scenery is very different to the south of the lake than in the north, my favourite place was Malcesine, it just seems to have everything. We will definitely return in the future. I gave a reduced star for sleep quality only because the hotel could be a bit noisy at times, banging doors etc; but noise is not permitted after 11pm. It wasn't the noisiest hotel we have stayed in but I do think it will be noisier in the summer months. There isn't a kettle in the room so we took our own, there is a small fridge.

Room tip: Not 121 if you want sun, the poolside rooms seem to get more sun.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
13  Thank pat b
Reviewed May 20, 2016

We booked this holiday within three weeks of deciding where to go. The hotel is a good 20 minutes out of town and coming back is uphill. The hotel has a minibus service which for some reason stops after 5pm. The room was good with plenty of hot water, comfortable bed and plenty of space, the food is buffet service both for breakfast and dinner, there is plenty of choice every day. The downside is that it is very popular with the Germans and at meal times you have to be not afraid to stand your ground in your efforts to get your food, queueing is not there custom and it can be the survival of the fittest. They make for the desserts first to get what they want and then two or three trips for main courses is a regular practise, however it's a topic of conversation. There were at night children running around the gardens at 10-30 at night which if you are having an early departure the following day is a nuisance. All in all not a bad hotel if your happy to join in the free for all at meal times and do not want a quiet time.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flyer666
Reviewed May 18, 2016

Ok, I am going to be slightly harsh as this hotel can be so much better. Position wise it is a 15 minute walk on a incline from the town centre, the hotel does offer a shuttle service between 10.00am until 5.00pm from the town but does not run every hour.
The staff are very courteous and polite and work hard..we was on a half board basis but I recommend B and B as there are many places to eat in the town itself. The breakfast is self service as is the evening meal. As this hotel or area mainly attracts a older clientele they tend to eat very early in the evening as dons as the doors open which means if you go in later the food is sparse and unimaginative after it's been mangled by diners !! I did complain to the hotel food manager who agreed it's very hard as 200 plus diners cram for their meals.
Plenty of beer ,soft drinks and wine available with your meal so what happens people remain seated and drink as once you leave you have to purchase your drinks from the main bar.
The coffee is not to my taste , hotel coffee not as good as from the town bars.
Ideal as near cable car.
Some rooms have a lake view which is breathtaking.
Bathrooms good size with plenty hot water. Lots evening entertaining mainly solo duos singing act. The hotel has a big German clientele as it's just 4 hour drive from Munich.
Taxi cost is 9 euro per car to or from town so as we used every day it can be pricey.
All in all. I recommend if you want easy relaxing stay and you not fancy diners that want to eat out all the time then it's worth a visit buy for me, I like trying all the bars and eateries so choose a B and B option. Indoor swimming pool and gym section for your workouts if you so desire.

Room tip: Rooms on 200 level have lake view I,e 217 etc
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank wildsexylover
Reviewed May 11, 2016 via mobile

I love Italy, and love the Italian coffee and food.

But I was told at this hotel that you can't have a coffee in the restaurant in the evening as its not Italian way.

I find that there is a lot of strange rules in this hotel, but the coffee comment it's not Italian way has made me wright this review.

I then tried a Coffee in the bar, and found that it has a very harsh burnt taste. I asked for another coffee and this was the same burnt taste. I was told please don't order the coffee as its all the same here.

Oh
If you like to use a safe in the room, caution as the safe is only 8" x 5" x 5". So only good for small items. But the hotel will let you use there safe at reception.

There's other issues but my next trip to this area of Italy will not be in this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank DMP-travel
Reviewed April 12, 2016 via mobile

Me and my family went on a last minute holiday to Italy and we chose the majestic palace hotel.the staff where very friendly and helped a lot they were one of the highlights to my holiday,the food was amazing. The only thing I have to moan about is the swimming pool! The swimming pool was freezing. The day we arrived they were only just filling it up with cold tap water I don't blame it for being cold but when we heard that it wasn't a heated pool we were upset.
Leia age 10