“Not bad if you like hot rooms”

Best Western Plus Hotel Bologna
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Mestre
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not bad if you like hot rooms”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Quite a good little hotel in Mestre. Very easy to get to from Marco Polo airport, 5 euros and and 15 min bus ride took us to Bologna hotel. Buses back to the airport lot less frequent maybe because it was a Sunday, only once an hour. Check in was very quick, lady at reception was very friendly and helpful, giving us with info on buses/trains/travel passes. We were allocated room 318, a nice room but a bit disappointed it was 2 twin beds pushed together when we had booked a double bed, lucky we weren't on our honeymoon haha. Everything you need is in the room, nice and clean but i would say, like many other reviewers, that the room is ridiculously warm, there are air conditioning controls but didn't work, we went down to reception (as our phone to reception didnt work!) and they informed us A/C didn't work until May (strange as a previously reviewer was told, AC was from April!) They did say they would try to control the temp but it didn't really change. We found a way round this by just opening both windows as soon as we got back to room to cool it down for a bit, could not sleep with windows open due to street noise. Free fast wifi available.
Train tickets to Venice easily bought from reception desk for just over a euro, we only used this once and used the buses to Pizzale Roma covered on our 72hr travel pass all other times, this was a crazy experience especially during the busiest times, it really is a free for all, see a tiny space on the bus and push your way on or stand at the bus stop for the rest of the day haha. Buses were every 10-15mins and we made the mistake of "waiting for the next bus" hoping for a quieter one...would have been a very long wait if we didn't do as the locals did.
Breakfast was ok, good choice of hot and cold drinks, only hot food was bacon & scramble eggs.
Normally i would say this hotel is a good location but after a long day of walking and sight seeing, it was hard work getting the vaporetti back to Pizzale Roma and then the manic bus ride back to hotel. A good choice if budget is tight

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kittyf75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is a great hotel with friendly staff, all speak English. We paid the extra and had a superior room and is was excellent in very respect. The food at the small bistro is exceptional and reasonably priced and so is the wine. They treated us like royalty and all the staff are very helpful and the location in front of the train station, one stop to Venice, is a bonus.

Buy your railway tickets from the receptionist so you don't queue at the train station.

This hotel is on a busy corner in front of the train station, however the rooms all have double glazing and unless you want the windows open will not affect your stay

Room Tip: Buy your railway tickets from the receptionist at the hotel, so you don't queue at the train sta...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin L
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I arrived to the hotel today and was really put off by the reception staff who served me. I was highly recommended to book this hotel by a friend n the reviews from TA too. I made the non refundable reservation through booking.com. I am unable to cancel or shorten my stay at all. Not only she was unfriendly but she was not very helpful too. I had to ask her for a map n check with her on how to get around Venice as this is my first time here and visiting Italy too. All she did was draw 1 circle on the map showing me where am I!!! Gosh! Her other colleague who was checking in a guest was really enthusiastic n provided information even without the guest asking. I was left standing clueless to wait for my room; I was in about 1145am n yes i am fully aware that the check in time is at 2pm. I am fine to come back or at least tell me where should i wait till i had to ask her. The other reception staff made an effort to rush the room for her guest. The staff just ask me to wait at the bar n well the room might take an hour or more to get ready!! We were also not informed upon check in or any hotel letter was placed in our room to inform us that there are upgrading works currently taking place and the best part is I was told by the reception staff moments ago that the hotel air conditioning is down till may!!! Although its cold outside but the room is stuffy for sure. Now i have to zzz with my windows open.How is it possible for one to sleep with the noise outside?! The staff here is extremely arrogant and aloof!!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank zero_bad_service
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is not the first time I've stayed at this hotel. I stay here for several reasons, primarily for its location being across from the rail station. Less than an hour from hotel to Santa Lucia Station in Venice. Staff has rail tickets and can arrange transfers to the airport which is also across the street. The Restaurant is also excellent and I solely eat there when in Venice. I exit Italy from Venice and it is often thus I stay here often. You can more for less service in the Venice area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Warner L
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Very good hotel overall. Located just across Mestre train station. €5 to get to hotel from Marco Polo airport by ATVO airport coach as opposed to €45 by taxi. From the hotel to Venice is by No:2 bus takes 15 minutes, bus stop just across the road. If you buy the travel pass bus as well as water boats in Venice can be used any number of times. Hotel price is much cheaper compared to Venice hotels. modern rooms and excellent facilities. Breakfast included in the price was very good. The best part was the staff. Fredrico and the 2 girls in the reception were excellent. They adviced us all the way in getting around Venice and treated us like VIPs. The chaps in the bar and in the breakfast area were very friendly and excellent. The food in the restaurant was very good but pricey like any where else in Venice. We felt at home and enjoyed our stay. Highly recommended hotel. Look no further if u r going to Venice.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Balapathiran B
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Very well located, just across the street from the train station (safe and quiet neighborhood). Modern and renovated hotel, nice rooms and bathrooms. Free wifi. Very good breakfast. Friendly staff! Safe parking lot for 10€ a day. Only minor was the air conditioning not working too well in one of our two rooms. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Priscilla A
Reviewed 22 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is nice but stay away until you can control the temperature. "There is no air conditioning until April", Well at least that is what I was told when I phoned reception because my room was like a sauna. They couldn't provide a fan but did move me to a slightly cooler room however still no air conditioning. Stay away until you have control over the temperature.

Stayed March 2012