“One of the best pizzas ever”

Pizzeria Il Castagnacciaio
Ranked #16 of 124 Restaurants in Portoferraio
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The veranda, air-conditioned environment, indoor Lounge Bar and pizzeria established in 1885, now The Castagnacciaio is today an important benchmark of the day many Tuscans that are poured into our local from every part of the island of Elba.
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

We went to Il Castagnacciaio on Wednesday evening and we had to come back on the next day. The price-quality ratio is excellent! The special pizzas (eg Pizza ala Casa) are bigger than the “normal” pizzas. If you are not super hungry, one pizza is enough. Me and my boyfriend took three “normal” pizzas which was more than enough for us. One pizza would been enough for me but it was nice to taste different pizzas.

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

If you’re looking for your traditional round Neapolitan pizza, then this is not the place for you, turn around and go somewhere else.
This is the right place to eat cecina or farinata, which looks like a thin focaccia made of chickpea flour. This is a specialty of this area and the Castagnacciaio’s one is delicious!
I love the pizza as well - it’s a squared pizza, thin and crusty, flavoured with all traditional Italian ingredients. We had margherita, frutti di mare (seafood), salame, marinara (with anchovies) and it was all really good!
They also have a very good selection of drinks, especially beers, homemade in Italy.
In summer you can’t reserve a table, so you better go before 8pm and you’ll normally find a table straight away. After 8pm the waiting time is between 20-30mins. I’ve been to this restaurant for many years and still love it!

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

The place is a covered location on the road, with some tables and chairs. They have a big oven, where pizzas are cooked on special steel shells, making them different from usual pizza.
Cecina (made of chickpeas flour) is another battlehorse.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

In Elba they will tell you that this place is the top of quality and tradition. It should be true...myself, I really appreciated the very fast and kind service. On the other hand, the relatively small pizza rectangle they give you is not top quality for me and a little small for the price. The "cecina", according to "people who knows" is top and as it should really be (it means soft and not so much cooked)...I personally prefer the crusty one....

Reviewed July 23, 2018

I would never find this place by myself, but again, local people recommendations were the best. Since the very first step I was sure that the meal will be superb. It is family run restaurant with very typical Elba dishes...starting from pizza and my favourite "torta di ceci" (chick peas pancake). During all my stay in Elba, i missed to go there just 1 evening...guys who are working there - just amazing! Lovely, nice, helpful and showed their true sincere hospitality. Tried 3 different pizza's - fabulous, because baked with love.