“Fantastic meal overlooking stunning, world-class Amalfi coast”
Review of Il Capitano

Il Capitano
Ranked #43 of 92 Restaurants in Positano
Price range: US$57 - US$159
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Instagram: ristorante_il_capitano
Reviewed September 16, 2018

I arrived along with 2 large groups of raggazzi (‘young people’), evidently on a junior-high school field trip, and several other older international tourists, by boat from the town of Salerno where we were staying for a few days. I hadn’t been back to the Amalfi region since our eldest so was 20 months old, in 1990. I had high hopes for everything I might experience since I saw it ~27 years earlier. Nursing a bad left knee, I lingered at the stone jetty as the kids re-assembled and then flowed up into the tourist-filled piazza and sea-front streets at the base of gorgeous Positano. This ancient Roman town was built over the past millennium or so up the steep hillside as ranks of beautifully proportioned homes and small villas ascending the hairpin curves of the road winding through the narrow gorge of the old river valley.

At a noteworthy stone building of maybe 15 m2 standing in solitary isolation on the outside of one of these hairpins was a shop selling the typical local ceramics, in their splendid patterns and colours. The charming proprietor (“Sosa”) recommended a restaurant further up the road. Sadly, it was closed. The staff all suggested I climb some more until I reached “Il Capitano”, perched on the side of the cliff about 500 m up from the waterfront. They said it offered a stunning view of the little town falling down the narrow valley to the ocean.

I was so happy I followed the advice.

The cost of the catch of the day, because of the size of the serving, would have been far too much for me (~40 Euro). Instead, I had the 'Baccala in vaso cottura con pomodorini, basilico e bufala a cubetti', or the cod in 'cooking pot' (lidded glass jar) with potato slices, baby tomatoes, basil, lemon slice, butter and buffalo mozarella. It was amazing...tender, juicy and full of flavor, for 18 Euro. Along with a world-class view of a world-class location, a UN World Heritage site.

The servers were professional, quiet and unobtrusive. They all spoke good English, which was most helpful. They contributed to a very fine meal I will remember for at least the next 27 years!!

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank lakeoffhewoods

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

We came here on our 2nd night in Positano, and it looked lovely, with a beautiful terrace overlooking the sea - great views, but as soon as its dark, you can't see much anyway!
We didn't have a reservation, and werent greeted in a particularly friendly manner, just told, 'we only have these tables' (in the middle, nowhere near the edge where the best views are). We didn't mind, so sat down. The menu looked good, but the wines were very expensive and I couldn't see any wines by the glass which was odd.
It took a while for someone to take our order. We both had pizzas which were OK, nothing special, but not bad.
We decided to not bother with dessert and got a nice chocolate mousse from the little shop just up the road!

Reviewed September 13, 2018

Stopped in here on our first night in Positano since we didn't have time to make reservations elsewhere. From the street this restaurant looks really cute and had music playing and offers great views. We asked the hostess if we could sit closer on the balcony for a good view and she barked at us "NO!". We understand those seats may be for reservations, but you don't need to yell. We should have walked away right then and there. We both ordered our food and my husband's came back smelling terribly of a bad fish odor. Good seafood should not smell that way. He took one bite of his not cooked pasta too and didn't touch it. We asked for it to be sent back and our server tried to explain to us that it was supposed to smell and taste that way. We had to argue with him to take it off the bill, maybe that is just an American thing. From the beginning we weren't amazed with the customer service from the hostess and as you can see, it just got worse from there. I feel this place may possible be a tourist trap.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Had an amazing lunch here. Hard to get a bad view in this town but this was up there with the best. A long lazy lunch with a great view good beer and wine and some tasty pizza and pasta. I would return.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

First night in Positano, not a great dinner experience. After looking through reviews, people said that the seafood wasn’t fresh. I decided to order a pizza with shrimp and zucchini. The shrimp was terrible and not properly cleaned. The crust was the only thing good about this pizza. Don’t waste your time and go wait for a table at Da Vincenzo right down the street.