“Beautiful place..beautiful hosts..beautiful wedding ..”
Review of Villa Fiorentino

Villa Fiorentino
Wirral
“Beautiful place..beautiful hosts..beautiful wedding ..”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We hired the whole villa for a week for our wedding back in June 2008 & the wonderful memories have stayed fresh in our minds ever since. It has taken me so long to write this review as I fell pregnant very soon after our wedding with our first child & then again soon after our first with our second so have had little free time to write this review. It is however something I have wanted to do ever since & is the least we can do for the wonderful hospitality we received from the Fiorentino family during our stay. After a very stressful flight experience, we were greeted with a wonderful warm reception from Domenico & co who seemed to make everything ok. It was so nice to finally put a face to the name after all our email correspondence the previos year. We were blown away with the villa, the only way I could possibly describe it is like a magical labyrynth. We were left open mouthed at what greeted us when we made our way up to the honeymoon suite. It was truly amazing with lots of little personal touches added which made us feel extra extra special. In the run up to our wedding, nothing was to much trouble & was all done at a pace to fit in with our schedule. They made our day so special with little surprises that we never expected..& all added to our magical day. They were always there if you needed them for anything, but carried this off in a way where you wouldn't know they were there if that makes sense. It was a very sad day when we said goodbye, sad but happy after such a wonderful experience & happy to be continuing our wedding high onto our honeymoon in Rome. It was very early in the morning & we were all bid farewell by the Fiorentino family who had welcomed our family into their family for the week. We will return hopefully very soon when our babies are old enough to to grasp the special meaning of this place, & am sure will return for years to come. This was our experience of Villa Fiorentino & the Fiorentino family..I hope yours is just as wonderful..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Mandykinz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We will list the problems and all complaints we had in order of importance.

The Wedding day and all the suggested recommendations:

· At the time of the arrival of all the guests (5:30pm) for the Ceremony, nothing was prepared or arranged. The flowers were not arranged, the table was a mess filled with tools and cooking utensils in short the guests were welcomed into a total mess which was extremely embarrassing. My cousin had to re-arrange all the flowers, the drink table, the glasses, the decorations and clean all the mess and the broken glasses that were left untouched. In the mean time the guests were forced to seek shelter from the sun as people frantically tried to arrange what should have already been prepared. Totally unacceptable!

· Suggested ceremony start was 5:45, which is exactly when the sun is shining right on the ceremony terrace. There was no way that the guest were able to sit under the sun as many were elderly and dressed formally. This combined with nothing being prepared made for a total embarrassing mess to start the wedding.

· During the 2 hour delay there was no shade provided, nothing being served while my guests were standing around in the heat of the sun. No water, No alcohol, No cold drinks, No fruits, No appetizers absolutely nothing.

· We trusted your judgment with regards to the suggested timing of the ceremony. In addition both Domenico and Paola told us that they had done many weddings before and all would be prepared. I find it hard to understand that the sun, something so obvious could have been missed and not considered during the planning of the wedding. How could professionals possibly not consider the sun and make some arrangements to shield our guests from the sun.

· We paid for and I quote from your website: “aperitifs buffalo mozzarella, stuffed rolls and baked eggplant with Parmesan, mixed grilled vegetables, stuffed zucchini flowers and lightly toasted breads with an assortment of toppings, a selection of cheeses served with jellies in the shape of flowers and fruit to be matched with an excellent wine.” We did not get what we paid for, instead we were served: small cheese balls, Deep Fried eggplants, variety of chips, and onion balls on a toothpick. The Appetizers were left untouched and it did NOT look anything like their website would describe it as. This constitutes a failure to provide us with what we paid for and additional embarrassment after the delayed start of the weeding.
· We had bought over $2000 alcohol from duty free to be served at our wedding. Because there was no bar tender (which we were guaranteed to have by both yourself and Dominco) , non of the alcohols was touched. Only local Vine and Champagne was being served. We had to serve our own alcohol to our guests.

· We paid for a Michelin-starred chef, but instead we received no more than a 2 star menu.

· The Dinner table was set, after my mother and 2 friends set the entire table and seat arrangements for a good hour. The guests had to work because of the obvious incompetence of the staff you hired.

· The portions were very small and a huge delay between each different main course. The fish was served 1st, after 15 minutes chicken was served then after a good 20 minutes roast beef was served to whoever was left without dinner. So technically not everyone got what they ordered, they received what was ready to be served.

· Our photographer extended his service for an extra 3 hours because he felt bad as to entire planning of everything.

Nothing went as we had planned and pictured, nothing seemed as we had seen on their website except the view. Paola was advertised as a wedding planner, Paola was not a wedding planner, at least not in my wedding. And there is no one that understood English when they had to

The service we received on the wedding day was 4.5/10, which for the cost is a huge disappointment. The service we received before and after the wedding was no more than 5/10, their excuse was that this is a Villa not a hotel (even though we paid for any additional services we asked for we still got a 5/10 service rate).

Prior to the wedding night:

· There is no phone service in any of the suits and family and friends left messages that were never received. As a result important guests were isolated and out of touch with us. Yet another embarrassment and an insult to our family.

· We asked to PAY for cleaning service to clean all of our suits for the entire time we were there, unfortunately, only towels were replaced and very general cleaning was done, the sheets and garbage was not changed as per our request. We were charged for the services so this constitutes another situation where services which were paid for were not received.

· We asked to PAY for lunch service to be delivered; we were not given an option as to what we wanted. The food was so bad it was left untouched after Paula served it on our plates. The food was 3/10 both days so we cancelled the lunch delivery.

· Every recommendation or suggestion we received from the Villa (Dominico) was way over priced. When we asked to local people for the same service it was 2/3 the price. Ex: Excursions, Bus, Taxi, and Restaurants.

· The Restaurant we were recommended to go the night before the wedding up the hill that offered free shuttle, 4 out of 21 guests got gastro-enteritis (food poisoning). Including the groom and me, my husband started vomiting on the night of his wedding and I was vomiting the next morning, which caused us to stay sick in bed for a good 24 hours after the wedding night.

We do not know how you could possibly make up for the lost and embarrassment that we suffered during our only wedding. I hope that by sharing our experience we can help travelers make better choices and plan wiser for their dream vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
23 Thank Lilyflower7
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We chose the Villa for our wedding. We rented out the whole villa and had our family and friends stay there with us. The apartments are all VERY spacious for European living, and beautifully decorated with nice tiles and stuff the area is known for. The pool was beautiful, and the whole villa was picture perfect! The family that owns and runs the villa was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. They went above and beyond to make sure our trip and the wedding went great!

The Fiorentino family was amazing! Paola the wedding planner and daughter made sure everything for the wedding went smoothly, she also prepared a nice breakfast for our group each day, and went above and beyond giving us nice wedding presents and driving us to meetings with vendors so we didn't have to walk. The food for the wedding was splendid as well, many thought it was the best meal they had the whole trip! One of the son's, Dom, also organized our whole visit by answering many emails of questions I had as well as general issues/questions that arose during our visit. The mother of the family made beautiful decorations for the ceremony and planned some wedding traditions for the reception, she also make some scarfs as a parting gift when we left. The father, Vito, was also extremely nice and friendly, he gave us a tour of his garden and studio, brought us fresh fruit from his garden and gave my mom some medicine to treat a bug bite she got while on the trip!

The entire family helped make this an amazing experience that we will remember for the rest of our lives. They made it warm, inviting, and intimate, which is exactly what we wanted with your small destination wedding.

Room Tip: Honeymoon sweet was spectacular!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank aoster
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Upon arrival we were greeted by Domenico and Paola (while a very strong man carried our luggage on his back to the "Honey Moon" suite). This is a very special place and we were treated like very special people throughout our stay. We stayed in the HM suite 2 nights (before moving to the Primavera suite for 5 nights) and it was nothing short of amazing! The spaciousness of the room & the huge terrace, the private plunge pool, the kitchen, the decor (including Domenico's own paintings), and the garden on the terrace make this a truly romantic and unforgettable experience. The view is nothing short of spectacular - it overlooks Positano and couldn't have been better. The suite is truly as beautiful as the photos on their web site, if not more so!

The first night Paola, who is also a gifted chef, prepared dinner and brought it up to our suite. She arranged candles around the plunge pool, a rose on the table (what a view!), popped the champagne and served us a superb meal. My husband and I thought this was the most romantic dinner we had ever had and couldn't have wanted for anything more - everything was perfect! There are many steps to reach the Honey Moon suite but that's what makes it so very private and romantic. Think of it as a good way to work off all of Paola's delicious cakes and the vino you'll sip while enjoying the majestic view.

If you're looking for a special place that is very romantic and spacious and beautiful, then I think you will love Villa Fiorentino's Honeymoon suite, as well as Paola & Domenico. We were thinking of staying at Le Sirenuse but so glad that we found this suite because it's truly hard to beat something this special with such a large suite in Positano.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fairfax
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We had our wedding here in September of 2009. We came a year earlier to celebrate my birthday & also scope out venues for our wedding. The minute we walked into the villa & were greeted by Paola & Domenico, we knew we wanted to have our wedding here.

Villa Fiorentino is absolutely gorgeous, with a backdrop that you cannot get anywhere else. The villa itself has undergone some great improvements over the last few years, and is in amazing condition. The infiniti pool has a priceless view. The flowers & grapes that hang over the villa are beautiful. The rooms in the villa are furnished impeccably & every balcony has an amazing view.

Paola & Domenico are the most welcoming & professional people. Their hospitality is like none other. After only staying there a day, we knew we wanted our wedding here & promptly booked it for the following year. My parents rented the entire villa for our close family & friends which made the wedding that much more special. My wedding ceremony (a traditional Bengali/Hindu one....first ever in Positano!!) was on the large terrace & then transformed into the dinner & reception after. We had about 120 people at the wedding (a HUGE destination wedding) yet Paola & Domenico accommodated all of our changes seamlessly. The split level cocktails after the wedding was a wonderful solution by Domenico to account for the growing guest list. Paola's lemon cake for my wedding was one of the best I have ever tasted!

The family truly makes all of their events a family affair & you feel like a part of their extended family long after you have left. As a result, we plan to visit Villa Fiorentino in the future to continue the amazing memories that we will treasure for a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Anouska14
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We rented the entire villa for our wedding with our family in April 2011. We arrived during a horrible rain storm and, the minute we arrived, they had porters with umbrellas for us taking in all of our bags. Without saying anything to them, they gave the hanging bag carrying my dress its own umbrella and got that into our room nice and dry. One of our bags was so incredibly heavy that, to this day, I have no idea how that man put the bag on his back and walked up all of those stairs. We went immediately into one of the villas where some of our family had already arrived. Waiting to greet us were Papa Fiorentino, Domenico, and Paola with all kinds of food, beer, and other drinks. What a reception after the first part of our day was as bad as "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" without the humor of John Candy and Steve Martin. We were so tired and didn't feel like going out for dinner that night so Domenico ordered an amazing spread of food for us. The rooms were so beautiful and were exactly as I expected (except the Honeymoon Suite bathroom was smaller than expected but there is a second one outdoors that you can send the groom to :-) Sogno d' Amore was probably my favorite apartment. There were a lot of steps but we expected this and it wasn't that big of a deal. You just don't want to climb up and realize you forgot something...so plan ahead! I am big on cleanliness and this place certainly passed the test. We spent two weeks in Italy (Rome, Positano, Florence, Lucca, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Venice) and the best meal of our entire trip was a place recommended by Domenico (Costantino). By the way, the pools (main pool and Honeymoon Suite pool) were heated, which was a pleasant surprise since it was a little cool while we were there. We arranged all transportation through Aristide, and the prices were the same as if you arranged on your own. I ended being thankful we did this because we left our brand new camera in the van in the chaos of arriving during the rain storm and got it back (they were a company local to Positano).

Side note - Delta/Alitalia lost my Dad and Stepmom's luggage and my Dad checked his meds (bad idea, but oh well). He has very high blood pressure and after not getting his bags back, we were all concerned. Turns out Papa Fiorentino used to be a cardiologist and he was able to give my Dad a checkup as well as medication he needed. My Dad got nowhere with Alitalia and once Domenico got on the phone with them, the bags arrived the next day (day after the wedding - just in time for my Dad to haul them back home only for Delta to lose the large bag for good this time!)

The wedding - They put so much work into the setup for the ceremony and reception and it was such a wonderful experience. The staff who worked the reception were so incredibly professional and VERY attentive. We never wanted for anything. The only disappointment was that the veal was very tough and my fish had a bunch of bones, but the wonderful server noticed I had encountered bones by the look on my face and immediately brought me a new piece. However, the appetizers, the first course, the cake made by Paola and additional desserts they brought us were all AMAZING.

When we left, Paola and Domenico greeted us and gave us some lovely gifts upon leaving. They also gave us gifts at our reception. I just can't say enough about how loving this family was. My Dad and Papa Fiorentino looked like best friends in spite of the language barrier. There is nowhere else I would want to stay and nothing else on our trip compared to this experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank jmsatl
Leeds
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We just came back from our honeymoon here and stayed in the Victoria apartment. We had our 6-month old with us so wanted something practical that still had the wow factor, and this did not disappoint. The kitchen was fully stocked and the washing machine, microwave and dishwasher were a Godsend and enabled us to cook for ourselves a few nights. The apartment itself was huge and had an amazing, large, private terrace where we spent most of our holiday just admiring the stunning views. The pool area is spectacular and even better than it looks on the website! The Fiorentino family could not have been more welcoming and helpful - the highlight was my birthday when Paola arranged for a chef to come over from Sorrento to cook me a 5-course meal on the terrace! They even arranged for a babysitter to keep an eye on our little girl while we ate. I had the perfect honeymoon and could not have asked for more. There are a lot of steps (around 400 down to the beach) but we managed it every day with our baby, a stroller and all her stuff - in fact, we were glad of the exercise to burn off all the amazing food! But if you really don't like exercise then you may be better off staying at a hotel nearer the beach.

Room Tip: Victoria apartment was perfect for a family
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple