“Best Michelin-starred restaurant we have tried”
Review of Duomo

Duomo
Ranked #8 of 398 Restaurants in Ragusa
Price range: US$88 - US$118
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2018

I booked this restaurant in order to enjoy a first class restaurant while staying in Regusa. My wife was sceptical when I indicated that I wished to try the tasting menu with the wine flight; we soon appreciated the choice. We have eaten at 3 Michelin-starred restaurants in the last 3 months and Duomo was without doubt the most enjoyable food of them all, with very well matched wine. Every course was a delight both to the eyes and the taste buds. Service was impeccable with little additional touches such as when we indicated we particularly liked one wine, and we were immediatly offered more. We both said that this was the best meal we have ever eaten.

2  Thank alannickywebster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

We were visiting from Washington, DC and we passed this restaurant when headed to the central square. My husband really wanted to eat here and the restaurant manager was very kind and squeezed us in at 7:30! The food and service were excellent and I told my husband that we need to return to try the tasting menu!

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

The experience I had at Duomo reminded me of the Canaletto’s painting as I could find supreme technique, grand perspective together with a maniacal attention to details and ethereal elegance.

Arigatou gozaimasu

June the 23rd, lunchtime

Thank Patrizia e Ange... C
Reviewed June 26, 2018

Il Duomo was everything I’d hoped for and more: an exquisite fine dining experience, rooted in Sicilian culture, food and ingredients that would be unrepeatable elsewhere. An elegant atmosphere, a chance to try a range of interesting Sicilian wines, and treated like kings by the wonderful staff: it was all very happy-making.

Ciccio Sultano is apparently one of Italy’s most famous chefs, and Il Duomo has a reputation as one of its finest restaurants with a two-star Michelin rating. It’s located just down the hill, behind the magnificent church at the highest point of this old part of Ragusa, a gorgeous place to visit. For some restaurants, the setting really does make a difference, and this added some extra magic.

We opted for the full 8-course meal. Our menu was focused on seafood, and as explained with local flavours and flourish. There were some pretty fantastic techniques used, but mainly as an element of surprise. The food wasn’t too tricky. Appetizers were awfully fun.

My favourite dish was a tiny individual lasagna ‘Lasagna of the Queen’, with pillowy delicate pasta wrapped around ricotta and on top three pieces of the most intensely flavourful treasures of the sea: blue lobster, calamari and shrimp. And sitting in a bed of Sicilian bisque.

I loved, coming to the conclusion of the savoury dishes that the chef had decided to focus on seafood completely and not bother with red meat, which also meant I got to try a really interesting variety of white Sicilian (and one Slovenian) wine.

I loved that there were so many traditional Sicilian desserts, humble desserts, amped up to fine dining. The wines matched to the food were delicious.

As a final note, I’m always surprised on the food review sites that amidst the rave reviews of top restaurants, it seems like some people, because of the good reviews and reputation of a restaurant, are ready to give the opposite reaction, just to beat it down, as if a restaurant could never live up to a reputation lifted by so much praise. Then again, my husband and I see a lot of musicals and I’ve found that for the opening nights, or expensive shows, that people seem to give a standing ovation regardless of the quality (which is usually pretty good… but a standing ovation?) It’s almost as if because they’ve paid a lot of money, they’re determined to enjoy themselves and that what they paid for is worth it (husband thinks it’s about peer pressure and cultural norms though). If I think about it, I’m like this for fine restaurants. If I’ve chosen a restaurant based on its reputation and reviews, and if it’s going to be really expensive, I’m going to expect it to be really good AND I’m going to be rooting for it to do as well as it can.

So, on that note, Il Duomo, I give you a standing ovation. The smile on our faces was from a meal and evening that I will not forget.

2  Thank Quanster
Reviewed June 26, 2018

One of the most amazing dining experiences of my life and I am italian and had lots of extremely good food in my life!

The creativity and selection of flavours is just outstanding and brought us to tears of joy!

We had the tasting menu, land and see with paired wine. Do not expect heavy souther italian food with lots of cheese and lots of tomato. Ciccio's food is extremely elegant, full of flavour and light at the same time. Even thought you feel very full at the end of the meal each single portion is very balanced and if you do not eat too much bread you can reach the end of the 10+ dishes quite easily.

The restaurant decor is nice but nothing special. I would recommend to anyone who wishes to taste creative and high quality italian food.