“Excellent choice for vegetarians. Good choice for everybody else.”
Review of MIX Bistro

MIX Bistro
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2016

Excellent place quite hidden in Sesto Fiorentino's industrial district.
Chef is talented and I really enjoyed dinner even if there is no meat on menù. Dishes are presented in a nice way and flavour is good.
Usually stuff is nice and you'll surely enjoy the evening.
They also make amazing cocktails.

Reviewed April 14, 2016

You will find high quality dishes and food, 0 kilometer, which change according the change of the season and its fruits and vegetables. Never boring choice, always a surprise to taste different dishes which will never let you miss the lack of meat and similar.

Reviewed May 23, 2015

Funky Decor, atmosphere (has outdoor, indoor and upstairs seating), live Jazz on some nights, young, hip crowd. Healthy and completely delicious options both food and drink. Friendly staff. Everything we had was superbly presented and wonderfully tasteful. A cab wasn't available so Liuciano (his son works there) DROVE US BACK TO OUR VILLA! Now that's excellent service!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I've already reviewed this remarkable place, so I I will be brief and say that our second visit confirmed the very positive impression of the first.

The place was packed full, we were told we would have to wait for our dishes to arrive. We ended up waiting for an hour, but in the meantime we took liberally from several snacks, courtesy of the house, including an exquisite olive paste, addictive olive and cheese biscuits, salads, farro salads, and others. Once our dishes started arriving, they came quickly and in the right order, despite our complicated choices!

The summer menu proved as varied and intriguing as the winter menu we had already tried. The young chef Giulia, seems never to go for the ordinary. The ambience was again very relaxed, and the place was still packed full when we left, almost at midnight. It seems that the bistro's cocktails are as popular as its dishes.

Last time I forgot to mention the price. This time, for one "primo", one "secondo", one huge "composite" dish, plus two beers, plus two desserts - 42 euros, reduced to 40, because of the long wait. I'd say it puts most other places in Florence to shame.

1  Thank Federico D
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I always use TA in my trips and at home to discover new interesting places. I must have read hundreds of users' reviews by now, but I never bothered to write a review myself, and I most certainly never thought I'd write an 'excellent' review.

That was until yesterday, when we - literally - stumbled upon Giulia and her great place.

If you don't know Sesto Fiorentino - and I cannot imagine why you should - imagine a large suburban sprawl of a place, with many industries but no attractions or sights whatsoever. With one exception: the only large mall of Florence, packed with fashion brands, and the like.

It seems several other people went our route before: felt hungry at the end of a shopping spree in the mall, did not want to go to mcdonalds, looked up TA and discovered this exceptional place. After a short drive through industrial sheds (we have to thank our gps for not getting lost) we land at the corner of - yet another industrial shed.

Some plants and parasols cordon off a nice outside garden though, and the tables made out of vintage furniture add to the odd charm of the place. Soon you sit down and forget completely where you are.

The staff are friendly and very young, the cook and owner, Giulia, is also very friendly and very young. She comes to greet you at your table and explains at length how she came up with the ideas for the menu, the ambience etc. She has not not done any stage in any school or famous restaurant, but she is a real chef.

We are not vegetarians, but most of our meals are, we often try out vegetarian/vegan places, and this is by far the most interesting, compelling and satisfying vegetarian food I ever tasted.
We ordered two different "composite" dishes to try as many dishes as possible. As usual, my fiancé went for lighter tastes, I chose stronger ones. All the dishes were at least very good, and a couple outstanding.

A small "coccio" of onions, tomatoes and olives had a taste so intense I still remember it, and a cheese flan with bitter radicchio was equally memorable. My fiancé chose a remarkable risotto that smelled of lavanda but tasted of artichokes and almonds.

Add to that a large list of original alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, also excellent, a short but excellent wine list, artesanal beers, live jazz music every Wednesday, and you are all
set for a really remarkable evening.

If you are in Florence and have a car (and a reliable gps) do consider trying out this place. I often noticed that otherwise unattractive cities make up for the lack in sights with great restaurants and bars, but this place really went beyond any expectation. One of the very few places I think I can not only recommend, but actively support.

1  Thank Federico D