“outstanding service!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Sestri Levante
göteborg
“outstanding service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

We have spent five nights in hotel Due Mari. As we celebrated a birthday we had some extra demand on the service. There was no problem at all to have that. In fact the personal was so kind and understanding. Clean rooms, wonderful pool with seawater and very good food will make this stay to a very nice memory in the winter.
B Stakeberg

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Situated about 1 hour's drive from Genoa airport, this hotel is also convenient if you go by train from Genoa to Sestri Levante train station. The hotel is only a short walk from many bars, restaurants and up-market shops, the Due Mari offers a peaceful haven with very nice rooms which are spotlessly clean. Breakfast is basic, cereals, toast, pastries, hard-boiled eggs and ham. Staff are pleasant and efficient. Nice swimming pool for relaxing around, in beautifully kept garden area. A very pleasant 5 day break.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

The hotel is charming, personal, clean, beautiful, and elegant. Its not a stately hotel with a grand entrance, but rather a cozy hotel, with lots of sitting corners, nooks, and parlors to find quiet solitude. The hotel throughout is decorated in a rich, antique style, which provides a characteristic ambiance reminscent of fine holiday vacations from a bygone era.

Our room was clean, adequately furnished, comfortable, and personal. It did not feel like a standard hotel room to turn quantities of guests night after night. We did not have a significant view from our room, but as we didn't plan to spend much time in the room, this was not a necessity for us. The beds were very comfortable, and the room's temperature was perfect at this time of year. I can imagine in the full heat of summer though, our room might have been more on the uncomfortable side, with only the small, corner AC unit to cool the entire room. The bathroom was big enough, but the fan was not really powerful enough to clear out the steam until long after a shower. The room was cleaned during our stay, with plenty of new towels replenished. We only had breakfast at the hotel, and in agreement with other reviewers, I would have preferred the option for a later breakfast, rather than the 9:30 closing time. The breakfast selection was sufficient, but it was not an endless buffet of choices. I'm a person who watches the nutrition of my diet very closely, and I found plenty of goodness within the items offered. There was enough to eat for me, though for another person who is used to a massive buffet of choice from a hotel, they may not be satisfied. Additionally, free wi-fi was available in the dining area, but not in our room. The pool area of the hotel was also quite nice, with a nice feel of privacy. The gardens were abundant with flowers and colors, and maintained in a natural, not overly manicured way.
The location of the hotel is excellent, with easy access to the whole area. Shopping, swimming, boating, walking, hiking, and the evening passagiata are easily available within a short walk from the hotel's entry.
We will definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

Upon reading previous reviews, I was anxious to see the hotel for myself. It was one of 5 suggested by the conference my fiance was attending and he had booked it months ago. So I was very happy and relieved to find a beautiful hotel with lots of art (paintings, sculptures and antiques), a quiet garden and a nice sized room (tons of hangers in the wardrobe, too). The hotel doesn't look quite as big from the street, but there are lots of places to wander through, or you could go for a swim up on the roof. I would have liked a bigger shower, or better yet, a tub. Maybe one of the higher priced rooms offers it, but I couldn't tell you.

It is steps away from the Bay of Silence but there is no view from our room... well a tiny glimpse if you go to the corner of the uppermost terrace... or once you step out the front door. The staff was decent as well, not overly friendly or smiley, but not rude. There is no alarm clock in the room, and one of our wake up calls was 3 hours early (3:30 am, ugh!)

The one thing that needs improvement is the assortment of their breakfast bar... 1 cut of not so great meat, nothing hot unless you toast your own bread of which there is very little choice, and no real cheese, only the spreadable kind. There were peaches and prunes, some cereal and jams. On one of the 3 days I spied some croissants but it was an hour after we'd eaten.... Oh and it's only open for 2 hours starting at 8 am. Now if you're good with a few little rolls with maybe some hazelnut spread and a cup or 2 of coffee, you've got it made.

I did enjoy laying in bed with the windows wide open and adjusting the shutters as it suited me. Leaning out the window and smelling the flowers is also a wonderful way to wake up.

This last comment is really for most hotels I've been to in the past 2 years... well all hotels except for The Portofino in Universal Studios Orlando...... why no conditioner? And why, if you know there are 2 adults in the room, do you only offer 1 bathrobe?

In conclusion, I loved the hotel. So what if breakfast sucked? There are tons of restaurants just down the street and the views are definitely worth a walk.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SabrinaA1
Gourock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I was getting a bit worried when | was starting to read some negative reports about this hotel, however I am happy to say I didn't experience anything bad at all. When I arrived, I noticed it was much grander and oppulent than I had ever experienced a 3 star hotel to be. Check in was swift, porter helped me with my luggage and showed me to my "single " room. This turned out to be huge room, with an enormous bed which seemed to be larger than my british king size back home. Lovely bathroom with lovely soft towels toiletries, hairdrier etc, mini bar, tv, ceiling fan and safe., and also a lovely terrace that I could sit out on.
Breakfast in the mornings was buffet style which was great,plenty to choose from with fresh fruit that I could take away with me for a mid-morning snack. My bed was turned down for me every night and everything was immaculate.
I chose to eat in the restaurant on one of my nights and I wasn't disappointed either.Great selection of dishes and I just paid for it when I settled my bill at the end of my stay. There was a pool upstairs in the hotel, it looked really nice and private, however I just settled for the beach. For the price I paid of 75 euros per night, booked direct with the hotel as it was cheaper than any website, I thought it was great value for money for someone who doesn't want to give up their little luxuries whilst on holiday. The ONLY gripe I have is that on check out the lady at the desk had to answer the phone a few times whilst dealing with me, so I was hanging about a little longer. Overall a very good hotel that I would recommend to anyone staying in this area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank doaknic
Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2008

Last September we spend two beautiful days in Hotel Due Mare. The hotel is there for many decades, you can see and feel the history and the grandeur of Sestri in the Greta Garbo times. We liked that al lot. We had two beautiful rooms at the top floor with a balcony overlooking the bay and the see. One room had also even a small balcony overlooking the city and the other bay (and mare). Breakfast is good. Garden is big with a good pool. Very nice, friendly staf. Big garage. If you want to stay close to the “two sees” and you like to stay in the old town with all the restaurants and shop: go to the Due Mare!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — not to say
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

We chose the hotel becuase of the 'pool' which turned out to be cold saltwater.
We knew we'd made a mistake when we first walked in. The lobby was worn and tired and full of strollers. Menu board on the front was not maintained. The twin brother owners threatened to call their lawyer when we suggested that we might prefer to stay one night instead of two. The hotel was not full, and we asked for alternate rooms, but they had none? The carpets and halls were smelly and dirty. The brothers seem to have inherited the place, and are not meant to be inkeepers. Never a smile or friendly nod.
We are experienced travellers, this is for real. I think I could've enjoyed this hotel at half the price. Bottom line: avoid the Due Mari.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family