“Excellent seafood in centro”
Review of Buonamico

Buonamico
Ranked #28 of 487 Restaurants in Viareggio
Price range: US$30 - US$65
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2015

Il Buon Amico is in centro about 4 blocks from the beach. The Bronzino was perfectly grilled with cardio fi and crisp potato slices, and my husband raved about his seafood stew. We are seafood snobs, and o ly like super fresh seafood since we used to set our own crab and shrimp pots, go salmon fishing,etc., so when we love the seafood you know it is fresh. Friendly service and little extras like focaccia and a pate, were fun. Good vino do casa.

Reviewed 8 November 2014

We find it mind-boggling that Buonamico is not more highly rated. Over the years we have found it consistently excellent with terrific wine. But then we always keep it simple; antpasto then a secondi of grilled fish (whatever they recommend but often sea-bass). This last time we had a larger fish for two and it was as always, delicious. If you believe, as we do, that good cooking is about sourcing the best quality ingredients and not screwing it up with over-complicated cooking, then go to Buonamico. It's one of those restaurants that does the simplest things really, really well, but also wows you with good antipasto. We also love the ambiance, and the professional but unobtrusive waitstaff all add to the pleasure.

Reviewed 27 September 2014

Buonamico was our second stop in Viareggio. My wife ordered her favorite – eggplant parmesan. I began with macheroncini with bits of fish and green tomatoes.
The wine list of more than 60 selections on a small fold-up reads like a Who’s Who of Italian winemaking. Very easy to select the Friulano (formerly known as Tocai) from Livio Fellgua. I wish I could buy it in France. Perfect companion.
My wife enjoyed a branzino in a wine sauce with tomatoes. I had one of my favorites - cuttlefish with arugula and tomatoes. I had cuttlefish my previous time in Viareggio at Da Romano in the 80’s, then just a good restaurant, now a very classy destination.
Desert of ice cream with caramelized strawberries capped a wonderful no-flaws dinner.

1  Thank collioure1
Reviewed 8 September 2014 via mobile

Try the 5 antipasti de mare starters, tuna wonderful as ever. Best food in Viareggio. Creme brulee only after a light meal.

Reviewed 7 September 2014

Have eaten here twice over last two years and both occasions have been great experiences. Book in advance to be sure of an outside table as there are not that many however we called
by and still managed to get in.

1  Thank markentoni