No.1 Chiang Mai: 25km Scenic Mountain Biking & Jungle Kayaking

Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Wat Ban Den
All reviews chiang mai entry fee day tour temple statues dragon craftsmanship roosters worship ornate series elephants
Selected filters
Reviewed April 22, 2018

My partner and I decided to escape the tourists in Chiang Mai and head out of town a bit to Wat Ban Den expecting to see another of Thailand's many Buddhist temples, but not expecting the gem we discovered. Wat Ban Den is a bit of a journey to get to, but once you are there, the richness and variety of 'chapels' Chedi and Buddhas was truly awe inspiring.

The Wat sits atop a bluff with spectacular views of the countryside below, but the REAL views are of the various buildings, Buddhas, gods and Chedi on the grounds. The photos others have posted do a fiar bit to capture the beauty of this Wat and if visiting Buddhist temples is part of your Thai experience, then Wat Ban Den is one you should visit. It is a more modern temple, so you won't have quite the history, but there are parts of the temple that are quite old.

Definitely one of my favorite Wats in Thailand.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank tracytC5333OT
Reviewed February 7, 2018

We have been visiting for a decade, and each year more things have been added. The tour buses arrive by 9am, but worth a visit. We think this is the best wat complex in Thailand. Go through the area by the stupas to find the reclining Buddha behind it.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed January 11, 2018

Our songtaew driver recommended this temple, and I'm so glad he did. Our group wanted to explore a traditional Thai Buddhist temple, and this complex is huge, with many beautiful buildings and statuary to explore. One warning for foreigners - there are no western style toilets available. Also, there is very little shade available, and there is aa large area to cover, so it is better to go in the morning. There is also a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed December 28, 2017

It was such a nice and large wat to visit and thanks to the guide who drove us during our trip. The sculptures are live and the interior are superb. Ladies shall dress accordingly, I guess common for all temples. You may need to plan at least 1.5 hours on this visiting. Enjoy!

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

I have no idea why this temple is not on the regular tourist trail. We went and we were about the only people there maybe I have a dozen people. Out in the middle of nowhere about 60 minute drive north of Chang Mai there is a complex of six temples side-by-side. These are not Your ordinary temples. The attention to detail is unbelievable. Hand hammered metal encarved pillars.
I highly recommend that you take the time to drive an hour north allow at least two hours to see the temple in another hour to return. I will return again and again I love this temple

Date of experience: December 2017