“The reviews are true -this place is perfect!!”

Brown's Old Orchard Cottage
Ranked #1 of 1 Holbeck B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“The reviews are true -this place is perfect!!”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I was attending a 3 day course at the nearby School of Artisan Food and wanted somewhere close to the campus. I didn't realize it at the time but this is the only B&B within walking distance! A lovely walk along country paths and lanes. I did it in winter and I can only imagine how lovely the walk must be in the summer months. Otherwise its a 2 minute drive to the school gates.

I stayed in room 1 which was beautifully furnished and had everything I needed - right down to a torch and umbrella for the dark nights! I am a very light sleeper but the location is well away from the busy roads and I didn't hear a thing. The room has great heating so the cold winter weather posed no problem.

The breakfast was fabulous - the breads, fruits and meats are all locally sourced and the very best quality. I had the cooked "English" breakfast everyday and the bacon & sausages where cooked to perfection. You will not leave here hungry!!

If this wasn't enough - the hosts!! Both Joan and her husband go to extraordinary lengths to make sure you have a comfortable stay, nothing is too much trouble. The care and attention to detail is reflected in the high level of service they provide. One night it was raining and as I left school - Joan's husband was waiting for me in a car as they where worried I would get wet if I walked back to Browns - now that really is service!!

I stayed in Room 1 and was lucky enough to check out the other 2 guest rooms during my stay. Both are beautiful and finished to a very high standard.

I attended the school last year and stayed at another nearby property, but will only consider Browns for future visits.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

There's a reason for all the lovely reviews for this B&B - it is simply a lovely place to stay. After having had to cancel a visit here late last year, we were thrilled when Joan said they would be able to provide us with a room over New Year's at very short notice. We stayed in Room #1 - a perfectly charming, warm and comfortable room with every consideration given to comfort and care. Joan and Robin are courteous, helpful and warmly welcoming hosts, full of joy in what they do, and enthusiasm for the area in which they live. They even chilled our bottle of champagne for us while we were out to dinner NYE, leaving it beautifully presented back in our room when we returned.

The property is handy to Sherwood Forest, and many of the area's best attractions - and while it's not hard to find, once there you feel perfectly isolated and quiet. The gardens are beautiful, the old house lovely, and the accommodations in the converted outbuildings are immaculate and delightful. You simply can't fault the cleanliness or level of presentation.

Their enthusiasm continues with their food - locally sourced where possible, and prepared and presented with flair as well as genuine culinary skill. Servings were generous, and nothing was too much trouble.

All in all, it was exactly what we wanted for our three day trip - and we came away thoroughly refreshed and pleased with our choice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CAK05
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Very comfortable rooms, the best breakfasts, lovely location and very friendly hosts.

My wife and I stayed here last month and I could not be more impressed by the effort Joan and Robin have made to make their B&B as good as it is, nothing was too much trouble. We've never been to this part of country before and were very pleasantly surprised by how friendly and helpful everyone was, my wife is allergic to various things and both the B&B and the excellent pub in a nearby village were so accommodating, couldn't ask for more.

We usually stay in very basic places so this was a rare treat and I cannot understand what the two negative reviewers are talking about, our hosts could not have been better, reading their reviews it sounds like one reviewer has a persecution complex and the other was obviously in bad mood and needed to take it out on someone! Given my wife and I are a pair of hemp wearing, tree hugging southerners we were made to feel very welcome and Joan and Robin are great company as is the cat are the hedgehogs!

Hopefully we'll be back again soon for another family meet up and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Redruth
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Recently returned from a 5 night stay with (grown up) family at Browns; chosen for its lovely character, food and it's proximity to family in near by villages. And we were certainly not disappointed! We all felt thoroughly looked after by the hosts, with nothing too much trouble. We had the three rooms between us and as they were set slightly apart from the rest of the house we could come and go as we wanted and enjoyed sitting outside on a fine September evening to enjoy our picnic on our own terrace (not something all b and b's can offer!). Lots of wildlife to keep us entertained too. Lovely area for walks, with the hosts happy to offer route advice and maps. Our party comprised meat eaters, vegetarian and vegan diets, and we were all very well looked after- eagerly looking forward to breakfast each day! and the nearby (The Elm Tree) were extremely helpful too, with the chef keen to please- and we were not disappointed! What a treat. We'll certainly be coming back again!

Room Tip: All three rooms were lovely and as described on their website- which isn't always the case!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The perfect place to enjoy the serentiy and beauty of the English countryside. The rooms were beautiful and so comfortable. Fantastic breakfast! They have the most menu selections I've seen at a B&B. The gardens are a joy to walk. Joan and Robin are a wealth of information to help you make the most of your stay. The Browns was the perfect place to wind down and regain my sanity from our 3 week trip in England. Orignally planned staying 2 nights; asked if I couldn stay another. (i Could have stayed a whole week!!!!!) Joan and Robin are the nicest people you'll ever meet. If come here once, you'll "HAVE" to come back! Once isn't enough! Joan and Robin....You two are "fabulous"!

Room Tip: Room 3 It was wonderful to sleep with the cottage windows open and here the wood pigeons cooing in...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Puddycat999
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I recently stayed in this bed and breakfast cottage with my family for three nights and we were absolutely delighted with the food and service we received from the owners, Joan and Robin. They could not have done more for us and the breakfasts are superb. All the rooms are spotless and are attractively decorated and have four poster beds. I can recommend this accommodation to anyone wanting to stay in the area. There is so much to see in this part of Nottinghamshire that we plan to return again next year and look forward to staying once again at Browns.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Lovely peaceful setting with pleasant grounds to sit in as well as a seating area outside the lodge.

The owners could not have been any friendlier with nothing being too much trouble (e.g. when I asked for de-caf tea and they didn't have it Joan went straight out and got me some and also remembered to give me the de-caf tea for breakfast!) Good advice on days out, places to eat, directions etc.

The breakfast was one of the best we have had, particularly the pancake and fruit platter, a fab treat for vegetarians.

We stayed in lodge 2, great room decorated well to fit in with the style of the building and the setting. Huge comfortable bed and good sized bathroom.

Overall we had a really enjoyable stay and would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holbeck
6.7 km away
5.9 km away
Hotel van Dyk
Hotel van Dyk
#1 of 1 in Clowne

Been to Brown's Old Orchard Cottage? Share your experiences!