See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 9, 2015

and undoubtedly the best Italian breakfast we have ever had. And, yes, the cooking is of an exceptionally high standard and not over-priced considering the quality and precision. Old fashioned hospitality in a personal way, so different from the bland corporate smiles you get in so many hotels. Would definitely revisit. Our bill was 500 odd euros but we did not begrudge a penny of this - our win was 50 or so. AND DOG FRIENDLY...

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We came for lunch mid week. We didn't stay at the hotel as we came for the dining experience. It was well worth every penny. We had the menu il Classico and every dish was original, delicious and beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for more. I have never eaten a more succulent piece of beef, pink through, but it cut with a butter knife. The wine I had paired with parts of the menu was also delicious. I don't understand the reviews which say the food is nothing special. It is.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhona P
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my third stay at Al Sorriso, a restaurant with rooms that from1997-2012 had three Michelin stars. The rooms are pleasant, with a little balcony and a pretty view over the valley. The bedrooms are fine though not particulalry luxurious, but you come here for the food. Luisa Valazza is a gifted chef, and her dishes are top notch, based in the highest quality ingredients. Her husband Angelo runs the restaurant and is a lovely guy, welcoming and entertaining. It feels like you are dining at the house of a friend, just one who can cook at a 3 star level. The wine list has over 600 choices and is not overly expensive. Soriso itself is a sleepy town of less than 1,000 people, perhaps half an hour drive from Malpensa airport in Milan. If you are here then take teh time to drive out to Lake Maggiore (about 30 minutes away) which is very beautiful. Al Sorriso is a delightful restaurant, which given its standard of cooking is not expensive (a tasting menu is €140, less than Gordon Ramsay in London, and with much lower wine mark-ups).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AndyHayler
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Simply prepared dishes with good ingredients are fine at this overly hyped michelan starred restaurant. We payed 960$ for one night including dinner. My jaw dropped when I got the bill. we did have 190$ in wine but that still brings me to 770$ for dinner and one nights stay. Way overpriced. Plenty of much bottle of winebetter food to be had in this region spending only 1/6 of the money. Tired menu, I could think of 24 places in Milan that I would rather be than this stuffy dated restaurant.

Room Tip: No AC in any of the rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank giorgionadi
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Anyone that stays at this hotel is staying for one reason: The 3 Star Michelin downstairs. The rooms are not especially spacious, but not cramped either. They have adorable blue and pink towel and robe sets accompanying their well-appointed bathroom, which is fully stocked with hermes soaps and out tolietries. Angelo and team also put out a magnificant basket of the freshest fruit for you to enjoy. Sample it. Every fruit that I tried tasted more delicious than ever before.

The hotel staff is perfectly lovely and accomodating. Angelo refused to let me carry my own bags, and even woke up extra early in the morning to prepare coffees for us before we departed for us very early flight from MXP.

If you are flying out of MXP, I highly recommend this as your last night. The airport is only a 30 minute drive away from Sorriso (it'll take you over an hour if you are staying in Milan itself). And, the meal was an absolutely incredible and memorable experience.

Since this is really a review of the hotel and not the restaurant, I will touch only briefly on the food. As an important note to anyone that goes, Al Sorriso ONLY uses the freshest ingredients available. That means that if you are looking for white truffles, you MUST come in white truffle season (and the same goes for porchini, and every other seasonal delicacy). This is not NYC where they cook with every product all the time out of the freezer. While we were not there during either of the aforementioned seasons, we did get the benefit of many other seasonal delicacies: asparagus, spring pumpkins, and the most magnificant bowl of wild strawberries you've ever seen).

Angelo himself attends to your every need, from within the hotel to coordinating your dinner (and taking your order and bringing your food etc). They have a small staff helping them, but the hotel and 3 star restaurant are run by really a two person team. To anyone flying out of MXP, I would tell them, that they MUST spend their last (or first) night here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple