“No good reason to stay here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lacanau-Ocean
Camping Airotel L'Ocean
South West France
“No good reason to stay here”
Reviewed 4 September 2008

We booked here at the last minute after our own caravan refused to move out of the driveway. After phoning 148 sites this was the only one with a mobile home available so it was here or no holiday.

If you are 18-23 and your ideal holiday involves sitting around outside your supermarket tent, barbecuing sausages and drinking cheap beer after a day's surfing then this site is for you. If not then there is absolutely no reason to go there, you will find many, many better family sites in the vicinity.

Unlike most who have reviewed here, our reception was friendly and efficient. The mobile home, one of the more expensive options, was new, spotlessly clean, well-equipped and everything worked. The hordes of young campers who had given us visions of noisy, sleepless nights seemed to automatically quiten down at 11.30pm and were no trouble at all.

However, I wouldn't want to camp with them, the constant music playing during the day would touch the grumpy, angry old man inside me, I wouldn't want to share the toilet facilities with them, they were noisy, dirty, over-used and worn out. I wouldn't want to share the pool with them, it was small, packed and stank of chlorine. I wouldn't want to share the bar with them, tables were uncleared, service almost non-existent and the food choices over-priced and miserable.

It's a shame because the site is in a great position, a short walk to the beach and the town and right next to the cycle paths. I might try it out of season for a weekend's surfing but I would definitely not spend my main holiday here again. I much prefer Le Tedey up the road by the lake.

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — Serves the Chav market
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank TravelWarrior

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
bristol
Reviewed 11 December 2007

I booked a 4 star site and have been camping for 10 years in France. This campsite was disgusting. The toilets were outrageous and the staff unhelpful. It was common for excrement to be all over the toilets and floors. Several mornings there were no toilets available because they had been locked by prangsters from inside. The showers were no better. The water dribbled out of them and the queues were awful. They now have signs up that they are going to replace the toilets - but it was a complete rip off this year and they should be sued. I doubt new toilets will improve this horrid site. I was put on a ghastly pitch that was so far from the electric and they couldn't let me hire or borrow an extension. I had telephoned them from UK on 3 occasions (I speak French) and explained I was travelling and camping alone with my daughter., What a foul experience. The place is 'chav' land for the French. The pool area was absolutely flithy and they made no welcome to anyone who wasn't French.,

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank sian25
somerset
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Be prepared at high season to stay in a very big lively campsite with plenty of young surf blood to keep you up at night.

The swimming pool complex is not as big as you think and can become very very busy during mid-august.

No decking or pagoda with any Matthews Caravans - so the sand was everywhere and you risked getting knocked out by the cones that fall down after a night of heavy rain!! Matthews Caravans were the most basic on site as the majority of the other (Ohara) come with decking and sun protected canopys.

The surrounding areas are good and I would especially reccomend the lake at Montchic if you have a young family like us.
Lake provides a lifeguarded area with very very shallow safe waters for the kids to play in.

I would stay in the region again with my family but not on this site and not in a very basic Matthews caravan.

3 Thank Windy06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lacanau-Ocean
1.2 km away
L'Oyat
#3 of 4 in Lacanau-Ocean
1.7 km away
Pierre & Vacances Residence Bleu Marine

Been to Camping Airotel L'Ocean? Share your experiences!